Notifications
Clear all

Post inflammatory pigmentation - how to treat?

MemberMember
(@benjw84)

Posted : 12/19/2015 10:52 pm

Does anyone know the best way to treat post inflammatory pigmentation on the face? It's the darker brown and red spots you get after the acne cyst disappears.

MemberMember
(@iahmeeobop)

Posted : 12/20/2015 3:29 pm

The red spots are post inflammatory erythema, not pigmentation. Brown spots are hyperpigmentation.

BenjW84 liked
MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/20/2015 4:00 pm

30 minutes ago, Iahmeeobop said:

The red spots are post inflammatory erythema, not pigmentation. Brown spots are hyperpigmentation.

But the red spots eventually fade right? Because I have some of those right now from previous acne.

MemberMember
(@iahmeeobop)

Posted : 12/20/2015 4:19 pm

15 minutes ago, oyinkan98 said:

But the red spots eventually fade right? Because I have some of those right now from previous acne.

Yes they fade eventually, but it can take a really long time. So long in fact that it isn't worth waiting for them to just go away on their own.

BenjW84 liked
MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/20/2015 5:55 pm

1 hour ago, Iahmeeobop said:

Yes they fade eventually, but it can take a really long time. So long in fact that it isn't worth waiting for them to just go away on their own.

Do you know any product that gets rid of them? Please no laser or any of those. Broke 😛 Just maybe a cream or something.

BenjW84 liked
MemberMember
(@iahmeeobop)

Posted : 12/20/2015 6:22 pm

7 minutes ago, oyinkan98 said:

Do you know any product that gets rid of them? Please no laser or any of those. Broke 😛 Just maybe a cream or something.

Ok so the list of solutions for PIE or red marks are unfortunatelya lot shorter than for hyperpigmentation. Most of them are expensive solutions like lasers. Silicone sheeting and gel seems like your best bet if you don't want to spend a lot of money. They'remeantfor healing keloid and hypertrophic scars but there's a lot of people on here who said that it worksgreat for flat red marks as well, so it's worth a try. You can use silicone sheets or gel, or both I guess. I don't really know exactly the best way to use silicone for redmarks, but i've been looking in to it as i'm eager to get my hands on a cheap solution for my marks as well.

BenjW84 and oyinkan98 liked
MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 12/20/2015 8:40 pm

Prescription retinoids.

BenjW84 liked
MemberMember
(@benjw84)

Posted : 12/21/2015 5:38 pm

On 21/12/2015, 0728, Iahmeeobop said:

Ok thanks. Have you ever treated them successfully if you've had them? Know of anyone that did?

20 hours ago, Ommmmmm said:

Prescription retinoids.

Are these harsh on the skin? Is it best used with other products like moisturisers or other active ingredients?

23 hours ago, Iahmeeobop said:

Ok so the list of solutions for PIE or red marks are unfortunatelya lot shorter than for hyperpigmentation. Most of them are expensive solutions like lasers. Silicone sheeting and gel seems like your best bet if you don't want to spend a lot of money. They'remeantfor healing keloid and hypertrophic scars but there's a lot of people on here who said that it worksgreat for flat red marks as well, so it's worth a try. You can use silicone sheets or gel, or both I guess. I don't really know exactly the best way to use silicone for redmarks, but i've been looking in to it as i'm eager to get my hands on a cheap solution for my marks as well.

Thanks. I'll look into those

On 21/12/2015, 0843, Iahmeeobop said:

Anything you can suggest?

MemberMember
(@iahmeeobop)

Posted : 12/21/2015 8:26 pm

2 hours ago, BenjW84 said:

Ok thanks. Have you ever treated them successfully if you've had them? Know of anyone that did?

Are these harsh on the skin? Is it best used with other products like moisturisers or other active ingredients?

Thanks. I'll look into those

Anything you can suggest?

I haven't yet been able to rid myself of red marks nor do I know of anyone in particular who has. Most people say time heals them which may very well be true for some but most of my red marks don't seem to have have faded at all after many months.

Other than giving silicone a try I guess I would suggest something called red light therapy. Don't know much about it though except that it's a bit pricey. I also read on here somewhere that sea salt soaks can speed up the healing.Keep in mind though that I haven't used any of these things for my red marks myself so I don't really know if they'd work.

There isvery little evidence of any of these helping with erythemaon the internet unfortunately. You just have to give them a try, you've got nothing to lose really, except time andmoney. Well now that I think about it those two things are pretty valuable, so I guess you would. Don't let that discourage you though, when your skin has screwed you overas much asmine has itdoesn't matter what you have to lose, because there's always that chance that whatever you spend yourtime ormoney on might just be that miracle skin cure you've been looking for all along. There's really no good reason to give up on looking for it, especially if you're dedicated to clearing up your skin as much as I am.

BenjW84 liked
MemberMember
(@aaajjj)

Posted : 07/24/2018 2:56 am

On 12/22/2015 at 6:56 AM, Iahmeeobop said:

I haven't yet been able to rid myself of red marks nor do I know of anyone in particular who has. Most people say time heals them which may very well be true for some but most of my red marks don't seem to have have faded at all after many months.

Other than giving silicone a try I guess I would suggest something called red light therapy. Don't know much about it though except that it's a bit pricey. I also read on here somewhere that sea salt soaks can speed up the healing.Keep in mind though that I haven't used any of these things for my red marks myself so I don't really know if they'd work.

There isvery little evidence of any of these helping with erythemaon the internet unfortunately. You just have to give them a try, you've got nothing to lose really, except time andmoney. Well now that I think about it those two things are pretty valuable, so I guess you would. Don't let that discourage you though, when your skin has screwed you overas much asmine has itdoesn't matter what you have to lose, because there's always that chance that whatever you spend yourtime ormoney on might just be that miracle skin cure you've been looking for all along. There's really no good reason to give up on looking for it, especially if you're dedicated to clearing up your skin as much as I am.

How are things now?it has been 3 years?

On 12/22/2015 at 6:56 AM, Iahmeeobop said:

How are things now?it has been 3 years