Good Replacement Mo...

Notifications
Clear all

Good Replacement Moisturizer for the acne.org moisturizer

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/18/2015 6:52 pm

Hi guys,

I'm almost on my 3rd month of the regimen and I've got great results. But I feel like I have to replace the moisturizer because I think it's clogging my pores. Can anyone suggest any one?

I'm not sure about Cerave as it contains parabens.

(I've got oily acne-prone skin)

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 12/18/2015 8:30 pm

Hey girl, i use the neutrogena oil free moisturiser (the one without spf) and its awesome!!! It controls oil AND moisturisers :) You can also try avene products. All their products are for sensitive skin, i only use it in winter though because its expensive!!

oyinkan98 liked
MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/18/2015 9:08 pm

38 minutes ago, Chloe123 said:

Hey girl, i use the neutrogena oil free moisturiser (the one without spf) and its awesome!!! It controls oil AND moisturisers :) You can also try avene products. All their products are for sensitive skin, i only use it in winter though because its expensive!!

Thanks 🙂

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/18/2015 10:28 pm

1 hour ago, Control Panel said:

I will quote the list of recommended alternative drugstore-moisturizers from Acne.org's Regimen guide.

"

When choosing a moisturizer

Be diligent when checking labels.

Without SPF:

Avoid:

• Most oils with the exception of jojoba oil (which is actually an extremely welcome ingredient), macadamia nut oil, and mineral oil. Some other oils may be safe as well, but generally it's a good idea to avoid oils other than jojoba, macadamia nut and mineral oil.
  • Thick and greasy moisturizers. Moisturizers and creams that are too thick and greasy tend to clog pores. Plus, when a moisturizer is thick, it can be harder to apply gently.
  • Isopropyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Isostearate, Myristal Myristate, Laureth-4. See below for a complete list of ingredients to avoid.

Look for:

• Moisturizers made specifically for the face.
  • The word "non-comedogenic" on the label.
  • Jojoba oil as an ingredient if possible.

If buying on store shelves:

It's very difficult to find a great moisturizer on store shelves. Some people find that these options work well for them:

• Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. Takes care of flakiness well. However, it contains the combination of Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth-20 as the 3rd and 4th ingredient, which rates a 4 out of 5 for pore clogging in rabbit ear assays when this combination is used.
  • Complex 15. Contains Mysristyl Myristate, a highly comedogenic ingredient, but as the 12th ingredient. Requires jojoba oil with each use for full moisturization.
  • Lac-Hydrin Five. Contains AHA, so not for use at the onset of The Regimen. Wait 4 weeks before use.
  • Neutrogena Moisture Oil Free Formula, Combination Skin. Can tend to produce a "sweaty" feeling throughout the day, but uses safe ingredients.

With SPF:

Avoid:

• Most sunscreens. Sunscreens are often by their very nature oily and greasy products.
  • Isopropyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Isostearate, Myristal Myristate, Laureth-4. See below for a complete list of ingredients to avoid.
  • I have not found any good SPFs other than Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 30 and Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 15 Sensitive (see below).

Look for:

From Dan: "The two SPFs which I have found that work well (and I have tried them all!) are:

• Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 30 - In your palm, mix 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon into your usual non-SPF moisturizer, and apply.
  • Olay - Complete All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 15 - Sensitive. In your palm, mix with 5-6 drops of jojoba oil to increase moisturizing capabilities, and apply.

"

Wow thanks :) Does the neutogena spf have to be 30 or can be higher or lower? I guess I'll stick to the neutrogena products then because I've got really sensitive skin.