Notifications
Clear all

How can acne NOT control your life when you had to deal with the following?

MemberMember
(@jjn)

Posted : 12/14/2015 2:45 pm

- All the time spent in the morningprepping your face with all the washing, topicals, moisturizing, and sunscreen.

- Must placebandaids or acne patches on all the sores to keep themfrom bleeding andhelping them heal (and to prevent further infection)

- pain from all thecysts justfrom moving your face

- constant worry about anything or anyone that can touch your face to cause further irritation.

- the need to avoid activities that can cause one to sweat

-All the time spent in the evening prepping your face for bed.

I won't even bring up the psychological side of acneand how we perceive others to view us. These are actionswe need just to keep our face from getting worst. Of course I don't think acne should control anyone's life but is that really feasible?

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/14/2015 2:48 pm

2 minutes ago, jjn said:

- All the time spent in the morningprepping your face with all the washing, topicals, moisturizing, and sunscreen.

- Must placebandaids or acne patches on all the sores to keep themfrom bleeding and helping them heal (and to prevent further infection)

- pain from all thecysts justform moving your face

- constant worry about anything or anyone that can touch your face to cause further irritation.

Of course I don't think acne should control anyone's life but is that really feasible based on all the things we have to do just to keep our face from getting worst.

I feel you :/

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 12/14/2015 3:22 pm

I completely understand .. I guess the harsh reality we have to deal with is, that's our lives. You could easily stop doing all of your pre-bed rituals, and not caring about what touches your face, but chances are your acne will get worse. If you can deal with acne getting worse, then by all means stop doing all of those -- but if you can, you're a bigger man than me! 

:( I guess all I can suggest is to just wait it out and/or see a derm who can maybe offer you more treatments. I completely understand though, it's hard .. I hate the pre-bed ritual, especially when I'm around my boyfriend.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 12/14/2015 4:19 pm

1 hour ago, jjn said:

- Must placebandaids or acne patches on all the sores to keep themfrom bleeding andhelping them heal (and to prevent further infection)

I won't even bring up the psychological side of acneand how we perceive others to view us. These are actionswe need just to keep our face from getting worst. Of course I don't think acne should control anyone's life but is that really feasible?

Those are small things. How about being bullied for having severe acne?

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 12/15/2015 1:59 pm

22 hours ago, Lore91 said:

I completely understand .. I guess the harsh reality we have to deal with is, that's our lives. You could easily stop doing all of your pre-bed rituals, and not caring about what touches your face, but chances are your acne will get worse. If you can deal with acne getting worse, then by all means stop doing all of those -- but if you can, you're a bigger man than me! 

:( I guess all I can suggest is to just wait it out and/or see a derm who can maybe offer you more treatments. I completely understand though, it's hard .. I hate the pre-bed ritual, especially when I'm around my boyfriend.

I know what you mean.

My boyfriend sleeps over on the weekends and I feel self conscious doing all my pre-bed rituals around him, especially since he has relatively acne-free skin. What helps is to remember that your boyfriend loves you regardless.

leelowe1 and Lore91 liked
MemberMember
(@madeupdreams)

Posted : 12/15/2015 6:58 pm

On 12/14/2015, 208, AlexanderJ86 said:

Those are small things. How about being bullied for having severe acne?

Y'know, being reminded that other people have it worseisn't all that helpful when you're going through a rough time. Just because someone hasn't been bullied because of their acne doesn't mean they haven't suffered significant physical and emotional pain because of it. There's no competition involved here. People are allowed to be upset over the so-called "small things" the OP listed.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 12/15/2015 7:40 pm

41 minutes ago, madeupdreams said:

Y'know, being reminded that other people have it worseisn't all that helpful when you're going through a rough time. Just because someone hasn't been bullied because of their acne doesn't mean they haven't suffered significant physical and emotional pain because of it. There's no competition involved here. People are allowed to be upset over the so-called "small things" the OP listed.

On the other hand, it may make a person feel better if they put things in perspective and see the positive sides (At least you have friends, at least you have a significant other, etc.). I am only trying to say that they don't have to be bothered about it and I mean that in a good way. Of course, they are allowed to be bothered about it, but they have to realize that that alone isn't going to help at all.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 12/15/2015 7:59 pm

5 hours ago, getschwifty said:

I know what you mean.

My boyfriend sleeps over on the weekends and I feel self conscious doing all my pre-bed rituals around him, especially since he has relatively acne-free skin. What helps is to remember that your boyfriend loves you regardless.

I agree .. Thank you :) it's just hard when you don't neccesarilly love yourself, but I'm trying my best. :) 

Also regarding the other posts in this thread, I think it's very important to just remember that everyone only knows what they know. For example, anyone could come in and post how lucky we are to suffer from acne when other people don't have any limbs, or are blind, etc.. But it won't always make us feel better because we don't know how that feels - we only know our own struggles. 

Someone posted a story here a while back which has always stuck with me...

'A man who was blind in one eye sat at the bar, and told the barman how much he hated being half-blind and how hard it was. Shortly after a completely blind man comes in and sits next to him. He looked at him and thought how lucky he was that he was only blind in one eye - but it didn't make his struggles and trials ANY LESS REAL'.

Some people may have mild acne and be emotionally destroyed and depressed over it... On the other hand, some people may have severe acne and not give two hoots. People react differently and deal with things differently, but everyone's struggle is important if it effects someone

getschwifty, Geekgirl13, Luna878 and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 12/15/2015 8:17 pm

16 minutes ago, Lore91 said:
16 minutes ago, Lore91 said:

I agree .. Thank you :) it's just hard when you don't neccesarilly love yourself, but I'm trying my best. :) 

Also regarding the other posts in this thread, I think it's very important to just remember that everyone only knows what they know. For example, anyone could come in and post how lucky we are to suffer from acne when other people don't have any limbs, or are blind, etc.. But it won't always make us feel better because we don't know how that feels - we only know our own struggles. 

'A man who was blind in one eye sat at the bar, and told the barman how much he hated being half-blind and how hard it was. Shortly after a completely blind man comes in and sits next to him. He looked at him and thought how lucky he was that he was only blind in one eye - but it didn't make his struggles and trials ANY LESS REAL'.

Some people may have mild acne and be emotionally destroyed and depressed over it... On the other hand, some people may have severe acne and not give two hoots. People react differently and deal with things differently, but everyone's struggle is important if it effects someone

It is not so much an issue of whether the struggles are real or not, but whether they are *realistic*. That is a totally different thing.

MemberMember
(@madeupdreams)

Posted : 12/15/2015 8:20 pm

56 minutes ago, Lucas89 said:

Most people on here aren't real acne sufferers.

Most of the photos posted on this site have people who are "depressed" over their acne yet when you look at the pictures they have a few pimples. That's not even really acne. Then when they clear up their two pimples they pretend to be experts on how to clear acne and how they went on the paleo diet and their two pimples went away so they know it all.

Here's the thing: you don't get to decide who the "real" acne sufferers are or who is genuinely depressed about it. I'll admit that I've seen a couple pictures of people's skin on here where I scoffed and said to myself "really, that's it?" but I'm not going to tell them that their struggle is meaningless just because they don't have the same severity of acne that I do. A lot of people on here have better skin than I do, and a lot of people have worse skin. It doesn't matter. We're all on here to lend each other support, aren't we?

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 12/15/2015 8:24 pm

3 minutes ago, madeupdreams said:

Here's the thing: you don't get to decide who the "real" acne sufferers are or who is genuinely depressed about it. I'll admit that I've seen a couple pictures of people's skin on here where I scoffed and said to myself "really, that's it?" but I'm not going to tell them that their struggle is meaningless just because they don't have the same severity of acne that I do. A lot of people on here have better skin than I do, and a lot of people have worse skin. It doesn't matter. We're all on here to lend each other support, aren't we?

You don't believe that I want to support other people? Do you think that I am here to bully people?

MemberMember
(@beyouuuu)

Posted : 12/15/2015 8:26 pm

I totally agree with everyones comment. I started breaking out in middle school around seventh grade and it was extremely hard because all of the girls had extremely smooth and beautiful skin and then therewas me. I was bullied and I NEVER wanted to show my face in school. Well my acne reached its peak 10th grade summer and I finally decided to go to a dermatologist.I was about 13 14so I was depressed and super self-conscious. Anyways I dohave a very supportive family who tell me how beautifulI amas well as a boyfriend who dealt withme having cystic acne which was amazing. I would search this site forsolutions and creams and felt so hopeless.Ican honestly sayacne took over mylife even though no one knew about it because I put on a frontfor everyone in my daily life. I wish I could have expressed myself and talked to someone about it. But whenmy boyfriend first moved in I didn't want him to know whatALL I had to do with my skin because his was so flawless and it made mefeelif I had todo so muchjust tokeep mine under wrap.But anyways I started a youtube channel to show everyone that acne is something that can be controlled .. AND I WILL NOT HID BEHIND MAKEUP I WILL LET MY FLAWS SHOW. !!!! #NOMAKEUPFORME

bumpee liked
MemberMember
(@madeupdreams)

Posted : 12/15/2015 8:35 pm

8 minutes ago, AlexanderJ86 said:

You don't believe that I want to support other people? Do you think that I am here to bully people?

I was talking to Lucas89, not you, butno I don't think that. I don't either of you are here to bully people, although I think Lucas89 gets pretty dang close sometimes. I've seen you give plenty of good advice and support on other posts, I just didn't agree with your approach on this particular post (although I get that you were just trying to put things in perspective for the OP).

MemberMember
(@madeupdreams)

Posted : 12/15/2015 8:54 pm

8 minutes ago, Lucas89 said:

You called me a "fucking idiot" on this forum once.

So who is the real bully?

Yes, which is why you shouldn't have called someone a "fucking idiot".

I called you that because you were spewing a bunch of ignorant,misogynistic garbage. I don't normally stoop to name calling but it was well deserved in that case. Not sorry about it.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 12/15/2015 10:34 pm

On 15/12/2015, 0546, jjn said:

Yes acne does consume alot of time! It takes me at least half an hour in the morning to put all my make up on. Then i spend the whole day worrying about my skin, going to the bathroom to "touch up" my make up, checking in the mirror that none has come off. Then in the evening its face mask time and all the ointments before i go to bed. Its a full time job and exhausting!

My mum thinks i'm obsessed but she doesnt understand that this is the only way i can cope. All the little rituals and things i do make me feel better and somehow more in control.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 12/16/2015 12:55 pm

16 hours ago, Beyouuuu said:

I totally agree with everyones comment. I started breaking out in middle school around seventh grade and it was extremely hard because all of the girls had extremely smooth and beautiful skin and then their was me. I was bullied and I NEVER waned to show my face in school. Well my acne reached its peak 10th grade summer and I finally decided to go to a dermatologist.I was about 13 14so I was depressed and super self-conscious. Anyways I did have a very supportive family who would tell me how beautifulI was as well as a boyfriend who dealt withme having cystic acne which was amazing. I would search this site forsolutions and creams and felt so hopeless.Ican honestly sayacne took over mylife even though no one knew about it because I put on a font for everyone in my daily life. I wish I could have expressed myself and talked to someone about it. But whenmy boyfriend first moved in I didn't want him to know whatALL I had to do with my skin because is was so flawless and it made mefeelif I had todo so muchjust tokeep mine under wrap.But anyways I started a youtube channel to show everyone that acne is something that can be controlled and will not take over my life.. AND I WILL NOT HID BEHIND MAKEUP I WILL LET MY FLAWS SHOW. !!!! #NOMAKEUPFORME

I can see your profile picture and I can say that I am *not* seeing an ugly girl. In fact, I still have to see the first picture of an ugly girl here on acne.org (with and without makeup)

14 hours ago, Geekgirl13 said:

Yes acne does consume alot of time! It takes me at least half an hour in the morning to put all my make up on. Then i spend the whole day worrying about my skin, going to the bathroom to "touch up" my make up, checking in the mirror that none has come off. Then in the evening its face mask time and all the ointments before i go to bed. Its a full time job and exhausting!

My mum thinks i'm obsessed but she doesnt understand that this is the only way i can cope. All the little rituals and things i do make me feel better and somehow more in control.

What are you actually coping with? That you think that you are ugly?

Beyouuuu liked