Notifications
Clear all

OCM with Argan Oil

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 12/07/2015 4:44 pm

Hey peeps, 

Perhaps the OCM (oil cleansing method) has been beaten to death already here, with mixed reviews. But I just wanted to share that once I started using the OCM with Argan oil, my skin absolutely loved it! I had actually sorta forgotten about it until someone told me they took the recommendation I gave to try it and their skin also loved it (in her words "I thought I'd go through some "purge" but no, my skin just said yes.") 

For anyone interested in trying the OCM, this is the only oil I will use. I've tried many others like Olive, Jojoba, Castor, Coconut, Almond, Grapeseed ...none of them compare in my opinion and they all clogged my pores mild-to-moderately. I've found argan oil to be completely non-comedogenic for my VERY acne-prone skin. When I still has cystic acne I almost didn't think there could be anything like this that wouldn't clog my pores. So imagine my surprise!

It also works wonderfully for taking off makeup at the end of the day. Argan oil is suitable for all skin types, especially dry or aging skin. However one of the cons to this is that it can be very pricey, as skin care manufacturers have realized it's potential. 

For anyone who's interested in some facts:

Argan oil is extracted from the kernels of the Argan tree (Argania spinosa L.). According to Wikipedia, Argan oil has been used traditionally in it's native country of Morocco for a looong time.

In addition to it's culinary uses, Moroccans have used unroasted Argan oil to treat several skin diseases and to maintain healthy hair.

"In cosmetics, argan oil is advocated as moisturizing oil, against acne vulgaris and flaking of the skin, as well as for "nourishing" the hair. This oil has also medicinal uses against rheumatism and the healing of burns ... Externally, argan oil is used ... for hair as brilliantine, to fortify and ... in the treatment of wrinkled or scaly dry skin." (Wikipedia)

Argan oil has gained a huge amount of popularity since being introduced to the cosmetic market. This has prompted the Moroccan government to plan for increased production, with their aim being to increase annual production from around 2,500 to 4,000 tonnes by 2020.

As with any commodity, argan oil has also had a socioeconomic function. According to wikipedia, argan oil production supports a staggering 2.2 million people from Morocco in the Arganeraie (the country's argan tree region). What I found to be an amazing is that much of the argan oil produced today is made by a number of women's co-operatives, which help provide women and their families with income and the means to find education for themselves and their children.

œIt has also provided them with a degree of autonomy in a traditionally male-dominated society and has helped many become more aware of their rights. (Wikipedia)

It's always a good idea to make sure the products you use are sustainably sourced. ArganOils.com, a website that promotes environmentally sound argan oil farming, says it best:

"By supporting Argan Oils, you are not only preserving the health of your skin and body, you are contributing to the protection of the argan tree and the empowerment of the women who produce this remarkable oil."

So anyway, here's the mothod I use, which has been adapted from a few separate places (Fran Kerr/TheLoveVitamin/Crunchy Betty's website -thanks to these ladies!)
Oil Cleansing in 3 Simple Steps:

(Pre-steps: It's best to get a container for your oil that's easy to use. I also advise that you buy and keep your OCM oil in a dark container to preserve it longer, because light can be damaging and we want it to last for a while!)

1) Prepare by setting a clean washcloth beside the sink and washing your hands to make sure they are clean before touching your face. Splash your face with a little warm (not hot) water to warm up. You don't need to do anything else to your skin to prepare, because the oil should be able to take off any makeup or products you may be wearing. Super easy!

2) Pour the oil in the palm of your hand and then apply gently all over your face. Massage gently, always moving upwards. If you have active acne, the gentle part is KEY. Massage for 2 minutes, and then let the oil sit on your face for 30 more seconds or more. This is when I make funny faces in the mirror :)

3) Run the tap until the water is relatively hot and able to steam. Dunk the washcloth under the hot/warm water until it™s completely soaked. Apply the washcloth to your face and let it steam there for 10-15 seconds. This part always feels heavenly to me, like I'm at a spa. Slowly, and gently, begin to wipe off the oil. Rinse your washcloth and repeat until you™ve wiped all the oil off your skin, then pat dry with a clean towel and apply moisturizer if needed (I usually don't need to unless my skin is super dry). You can even apply a few drops of oil to soak in overnight :)

If you're doing this routine in the morning, you may feel like a moisturizer isn't necessary. It totally isn't and that's why I love this cleansing routine so much. It really simplifies things because I don't have to do the cleanser/makeup-remover/toner/moisturizer steps because it works for me as an all-in-one!

So feel free to forgo a moisturizer. BUT, remember that you should always apply SPF “whether it's in a lotion, cream, or even makeup“ before going outside. My favorite sun protection is from Clarins.

Have any of you tried the OCM (with Argan or another oil?)? Has it worked for you? Why/why not? I'd love to hear if anyone has other great uses for this!

(note: So far I've only used Acure's brand of Argan oil for this (it's inexpensive), but I'm looking to try others because I know quality can vary, so let me know if you have a favorite)

JLopez liked
MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/07/2015 5:53 pm

Can I do the OCM if I've got oily skin? And yes, coconut oil clogged my pores so badly. Argan oil nd Jojoba oil are good for my skin at least. Can I use one of them?

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 12/09/2015 1:36 am

I have combination skin, so sometimes it will be dry in some areas and oily in others. It's a good idea to moisturize even if you have oily skin because that helps it balance out as opposed to drying it up all the time. So Idon't think it should be a problem. I use blotting papers and a translucent powder nowadays if I need it, but I don't think the OCM makes my skin "oilier," if done right. Let me know how it goes if you try it 🙂

oyinkan98 liked
MemberMember
(@natadk)

Posted : 01/20/2016 4:45 am

I've just started the OCM with jojoba oil - while waiting for the castor and pumpkin seed oils to arrive :)
I have previously had great results with jojoba as moisturiser, so I'm reacting well to it.

I have one question: you write, that you moisture your skin before applying oil. I have though read almost everywhere, that it's important to use oil on dry skin. Do you have any comments on that?

MemberMember
(@t-sparks)

Posted : 08/01/2016 1:20 am

My skin is extremely sensitive and acne prone, also! I, too, have had good results with using Argan oil. I am going to try the oil cleansing method using it. Do you wear sunscreen? If so, does that cause acne if you use the Argan oil under it? Thank you!

MemberMember
(@welcomesmirk)

Posted : 08/02/2016 9:34 am

Wash wish coconut oil and my faces loves it.

MemberMember
(@kmkm)

Posted : 10/26/2016 2:20 am

Hello there ladies, I'm an acne sufferer with combination skin since my mid teens. It has never stopped! Well, since I heard about the OCM I started it with Jojoba oil and castor oil and am still waiting to finish the mixture of grapeseed oil and castor oil I had made. I didn't do much research and though my acne reduced...I still kept breaking out. So I dug a little deeper and did my online research. Guess what I found? There is a comedonic rating. So Jojoba is meant to have moderately low comedonic rate but Argan oil, Hemp seed oil are down to Non-comedonic completely. There are some other Non-comedonic oils too....hence the mystery of why some oils block pores and why some oils don't. So I guess if someone breaks out...I'd say use only non-comedonic oils and someone who doesn't but suffers from dry skin maybe a moderately low comedonic oil. Oily skin, dry skin, combination skins it does not matter. What matters is what oil you use. The right oils with the right comedonic rating will have your skin thanking you. Hope this helps ladies. I will update my progress report and pics eventually when all of my acne has gone.

MemberMember
(@ayeayesir)

Posted : 10/23/2017 6:14 pm

I've been using pure argan oil for a week now and my face developed some pimples in my left cheek but nothing on the right. Before i use argan oil i have a lot of clogged pores all over my face but while i'm using it, it didn't do much for the clogged pores. Do you think the pimples i developed was just the result of "purging" of argan oil? Do i still continue using it? (I use it twice a day but i think twice is too much for me)