Notifications
Clear all

21 year old male, is stress giving me acne?

MemberMember
(@luuk95)

Posted : 12/07/2015 9:07 am

Hello everyone, 

I came for a question I would like an answer to. 

I've been having acne since I was 16 now and tried pretty much everything. I'm on the regimen now. 

Although it never really cleares up. When I was younger it was mainly on my forehead, but since my 18th (i'm a 21 year old male now), it's mostly around my mouth and sometimes on my neck, but almost never on my cheeks. I've heard acne around the mouth is caused by an hormonal imbalance. It's really depressing that everyday when I wake up the first thing I do is  check the mirror and see that I've a few new pimples around this mouth area. I'm really stressing out about this and get in trouble with my family at home, because I'm in such a bad mood all day, because of my acne. 

My question is, could my acne be triggered by my own stress? I've really been wondering about this for years now and have read many things about it aswell. It feels like i'm stuck in a acnecycle. I mainly think this, because my mouth is my problem area. 

Anyway, thanks for reading :)

Samii91 liked
MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/08/2015 4:07 pm

On December 7, 2015 at 914 AM, Luuk95 said:

Hello everyone, 

I came for a question I would like an answer to. 

I've been having acne since I was 16 now and tried pretty much everything. I'm on the regimen now. 

Although it never really cleares up. When I was younger it was mainly on my forehead, but since my 18th (i'm a 21 year old male now), it's mostly around my mouth and sometimes on my neck, but almost never on my cheeks. I've heard acne around the mouth is caused by an hormonal imbalance. It's really depressing that everyday when I wake up the first thing I do is  check the mirror and see that I've a few new pimples around this mouth area. I'm really stressing out about this and get in trouble with my family at home, because I'm in such a bad mood all day, because of my acne. 

My question is, could my acne be triggered by my own stress? I've really been wondering about this for years now and have read many things about it aswell. It feels like i'm stuck in a acnecycle. I mainly think this, because my mouth is my problem area. 

Anyway, thanks for reading :)

Yes, stress can cause acne.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/09/2015 9:59 am

N/A

MemberMember
(@samii91)

Posted : 12/10/2015 7:21 pm

I am actually struggling with the exact same areas as you...

I have moderate stress overtime, mainly due to college and life in general...

I started having pimples/acne when I turned 21 (I'm 24 years old now), and I cannot find a solution to get rid of these :/
I have tried multiple products/treatments etc.. But nothing works, I am quite sure that my acne is triggered by stress, so it is definitely a possible cause for your acne as well.

Could you please let me know if you find a suitable treatment which works for you Luuk95 :)?

MemberMember
(@pintador)

Posted : 12/16/2015 3:32 pm

Stress is my main cause of acne but I have learned to not stress about it since I have noticed that my skin has improved. Do not stress about it and don't scrutinize your face in the mirror looking for pimples and shit. It will make you feel stressed about it. Instead I recommend you getting a good cleanser for shower and a light moisturizer. Check out the effaclar series by la roche posay, they're magic.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/16/2015 4:39 pm

I don't think it's stress in general terms that is causing your acne, but perhaps its the reason why its not getting better. I would look into getting your hormones checked. A lot of women go through hormonal changes and develop acne in their mid twenties. But this doesnt mean men are at all out of the equation. A simple blood test can determine if your body is producing too many androgen's. Also, there is such a thing called Cushing Syndrome which is an over production of cortisol (the stress hormone) and it can show up as acne on the skin. Again, a blood test can tell you all these things. Here is a good article that talks about androgen's in both male and females and some medications that can help. http://www.progressivehealth.com/acne-androgens.htm