Notifications
Clear all

Lemon juice caused breakout

MemberMember
(@rajn)

Posted : 12/03/2015 1:54 pm

Ok so to start off i've had acne since i was 13 y/o (17 now). It was very mild at first but the last years it's has been mild/moderate. I've tried a bunch of stuff including the acne.org regimen (which didn't work btw). So about a month ago i think, i just couldn't be asked to need one extra hour every morning anymore and have a constantly red or over-dried face which the regimen gave me. So I started putting less and less BP on until I was literally only using very little ofit as a spot treatment. About 1 week ago my face was the best it's been in years, I was not really using anything but my cleanser twice a-day at the time. Since my active acne was nowhere to be seen, i started researching about hyperpigmentation and how to make it fade faster. I stumbled across the reviews page here and since lemon juice (applied topically) was at the first page, I started reading some of the reviews. Everyone seemed to be so happy with the result they were getting so I was like, why not try it. I bought a couple of lemons and squeezed one at a time into a glass and then applied all over my cheeks since there's where my marks are. I also put a very small amount on the rest of my face. I started doing this at night for the first two days, but since i alot of people said they experienced burning and stinging when applying it, which I almost didn't at all. I thought that I might do it in the morning aswell, as my skin maybe was a little bit tougher. So I applied it on my face, twice a-day for a couple more days. After about a week, my "perfect" skin turned into a big mess as I was hit with the biggest breakout of my life. I didn't really realise what was causing it so I countinued using the lemon hoping to fix it only to see more and more whiteheads pop up. Two or three days after I started breaking out again I thought about what could've caused this to happen and realised my mistake.

It's now been maybe 5 days since I started breaking out and i've gone back to just cleansing my face once or twice a-day. I've also cleared up my diet the very last bit (removed the occasional weekend snack) and started drinking about 4litres of water a-day.

Right now im "sick" (not going to school) and the breakout is atleast not getting any worse from what i can tell. The amount of whiteheads that form during the day and the amount that heals during the night seems to be equal.

So do you believe I should help my face recover from the damaged caused by the lemon juice and if so how or should I just let my face relax and recover on it's own?

MemberMember
(@dittus)

Posted : 12/04/2015 6:52 pm

Lemon juice on the skin is just one of those"natural beauty advice b.s. things" that will never go away. I'm sorry your skin is suffering!

You've probably given yourselfwhat's called a chemical burnor at least someserious irritation.
Lemons are highly acidic. They will mess with the natural pH ofthe skin. Also, citrus oils are phototoxic, meaning that when you make contact with daylight(aka. you go out on the street during the day) with lemon on your face, there will be irritation.

Be gentle to the skin and let it heal on its own. You should be back on track within 7-10 days.

oyinkan98 liked
MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/04/2015 7:49 pm

Lemon is too irritating for the skin.

MemberMember
(@rajn)

Posted : 12/04/2015 9:09 pm

2 hours ago, dittus said:

Lemon juice on the skin is just one of those "natural beauty advice b.s. things" that will never go away. I'm sorry your skin is suffering!

You've probably given yourself what's called a chemical burn or at least some serious irritation.
Lemons are highly acidic. They will mess with the natural pH of the skin. Also, citrus oils are phototoxic, meaning that when you make contact with daylight (aka. you go out on the street during the day) with lemon on your face, there will be irritation.

Be gentle to the skin and let it heal on its own. You should be back on track within 7-10 days.

Thanks for answering first of all! :D 

It's been maybe a week now and it's getting better atleast. New whiteheads are still forming but old ones are healing quicker and quicker. I now have the whole weekend to heal, will probably be alot better by monday.

MemberMember
(@rajn)

Posted : 02/04/2016 8:05 pm

Just want to share this, over 2 months has gone by and im still in the same breakout, better for sure but not close to what it was before