Notifications
Clear all

Makeup used in an acne study

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 12/03/2015 1:28 am

(because this turned into a super-long comment on another thread not originally about makeup, I figured it belonged better here)

I wholeheartedly tell people "yes!" who ask me if they can wear makeup with acne. Maybe it's because my mom always thought that makeup was the sole cause of my acne and if I only stopped wearing it then my acne would go away. I went without makeup (which was hard at the time), and acne remained/didn't change.Oh moms ...

Now I know a bit better. One such study conducted at the La Roche-Poshay Pharmaceutical Laboratories observed the effects ofteaching 129 patients with varying skin diseases (includingacne) how to properly apply non-comedogenic makeup.Not only were there no adverse side effects at the end of aone-month trial, but overall patient quality of life improvedand their skin even saw improvement(!!). (1) Two smallerstudies confirm the same results. (2)(3)

Though it doesseem appropriate that using makeup to improve your complexionwould help your self esteem, many people seemconvinced makeup will only make their skin worse. Hopefullythese studies can help dispel the myth that makeupwill cause or make youracne worse, because this simplyisn't true if you put a little time into finding the rightmakeup that won't break you out. The researchers specificallyused makeup designed for acne-prone skin, meaningit was non-comedogenic and non-irritating according to themanufacturer (I couldn't find any other makeup specifically used in an acne study other than this La Roche Toleriane Corrective Foundation [Edited link out])

>If anyone can find others used in studies, I'd love to compile a list! Because, yes sometimes makeup technically labeled as "non-comedogenic" can still aggravate acne, because of the lack of regulation still which such things. "Sigh"

Makeup of course isn't a permanent fix oracne cure, but it's a damn fine confidence booster ifyou're self-conscious about your acne. It can even be a two-in-one product; I personally like to use makeup with SPF tohelp further protect my skin during the day. Hope this clears up any confusion for you guys and gals!

1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23055760

2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16048760

3) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12459532

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/05/2015 11:47 pm

On 12/3/2015 at 12:28 PM, Luna878 said:

(because this turned into a super-long comment on another thread not originally about makeup, I figured it belonged better here)

I wholeheartedly tell people "yes!" who ask me if they can wear makeup with acne. Maybe it's because my mom always thought that makeup was the sole cause of my acne and if I only stopped wearing it then my acne would go away. I went without makeup (which was hard at the time), and acne remained/didn't change.Oh moms ...

Now I know a bit better. One such study conducted at the La Roche-Poshay Pharmaceutical Laboratories observed the effects ofteaching 129 patients with varying skin diseases (includingacne) how to properly apply non-comedogenic makeup.Not only were there no adverse side effects at the end of aone-month trial, but overall patient quality of life improvedand their skin even saw improvement(!!). (1) Two smallerstudies confirm the same results. (2)(3)

Though it doesseem appropriate that using makeup to improve your complexionwould help your self esteem, many people seemconvinced makeup will only make their skin worse. Hopefullythese studies can help dispel the myth that makeupwill cause or make youracne worse, because this simplyisn't true if you put a little time into finding the rightmakeup that won't break you out. The researchers specificallyused makeup designed for acne-prone skin, meaningit was non-comedogenic and non-irritating according to themanufacturer (I couldn't find any other makeup specifically used in an acne study other than this La Roche Toleriane Corrective Foundation [Edited link out])

>If anyone can find others used in studies, I'd love to compile a list! Because, yes sometimes makeup technically labeled as "non-comedogenic" can still aggravate acne, because of the lack of regulation still which such things. "Sigh"

Makeup of course isn't a permanent fix oracne cure, but it's a damn fine confidence booster ifyou're self-conscious about your acne. It can even be a two-in-one product; I personally like to use makeup with SPF tohelp further protect my skin during the day. Hope this clears up any confusion for you guys and gals!

1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23055760

2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16048760

3) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12459532

"One such study conducted at the La Roche-Poshay Pharmaceutical Laboratories" --> there is your bias right there. Of course a huge cosmetics & pharmaceutical company like La Roche-Poshay would publicize these results, because it helps increase their sales.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/06/2015 1:47 pm

Makeup even if it is non comodogenic can aggravate acne and skin in general. I agree with you though that if it helps you feel better about having acne, then do it as your mental stability is worth it. I also see wishclean's point in regards to inherent biases. A third party doing the exact same study ( and not having any connection to the makeup industry, may prove more reliable)

oyinkan98 liked
MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 12/07/2015 4:04 pm

On 12/5/2015, 826, WishClean said:

"One such study conducted at the La Roche-Poshay Pharmaceutical Laboratories" --> there is your bias right there. Of course a huge cosmetics & pharmaceutical company like La Roche-Poshay would publicize these results, because it helps increase their sales.

I'm glad this was pointed out, as I was thinking it would be considering this forum watches out for biases. Which is why I also included two separate studies from the departments ofdermatology (Tokyo Women's Medical University andJohann Wolfgang Goethe-University in Frankfurt)with no declared interests. It's always good to have more than once source for any claim, and I agree it's easy for the La Rosche-Posay study to have inherent biases.

MemberMember
(@kitteechaosyahoo-com)

Posted : 12/28/2015 1:12 pm

I have tons of tiny bumps on my chin that I had for years that are starting to clear after only quitting makeup for 4 days....and I have cleared them in the past after quitting makeup for a month (they were almost gone within a week that time, which was miraculous to me). They slowly came back over the months when I started using makeup again and became worse than ever and spread to more areas on my face. Drat. I am not saying everyone's skin issues are caused by makeup and can be fixed by quitting, and I am also not saying that it isn't my fault for choosing the wrong products even though I tried all the natural, mineral, supposedly non pore clogging makeups...but to me it is worth it to just do away with the makeup (for now) because the fact that it is making my skin worse and causing me more stress isn't worth it. I'd rather go around with mostly clear skin and scars uncovered, than to have to cover scars AND zits every day and continue getting more zits and being in an endless cycle of makeup-zits-more makeup-more zits. I for sure find that areas where I apply my concealer or powder, I get little under the skin bumps like the ones on my chin.

If I could find a concealer (I only conceal problem areas, don't use full face foundation) that doesn't cause me this issue, that would be great and I would use it every day probably, but so far, no matter what kind of makeup I use, I get these bumps. I cannot afford to keep testing new makeup only to end up with the same problem and another concealer/powder that I can't use. Maybe if my skin clears, a few months down the line I might give that product you posted a try, but right now I feel more comfortable not using anything and giving my skin a chance to heal.

Luna878 liked