Notifications
Clear all

Does birth control stop working on acne after a while?

MemberMember
(@lauren98)

Posted : 12/02/2015 3:55 pm

I've been taking yasmin for my hormonal acne for a year. It completely cleared theacne around my jaw (which was the worst), and made my skin much better. I still got spots, but they weren't cystic and they weren't as bad as before.

However, a month or so ago my skin started getting TERRIBLE- worse than it has been in years. I had deep painfulcystic acne around my jaw, chin and forehead (I never get spots on my forehead). Anyway, it kept on getting worse and then afew weeks ago I had two periods in one month (again, this is the first time that it's ever happened), and I'm getting headaches.

Is it possible that my body has gotten used to the yasmin? Should I switch to a different BCP? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 12/06/2015 12:25 am

How is your hormone levels? Did you do a blood test? Do you have PCOS? It's pretty difficult to say what you should do without those informations.

If you have PCOS, maybeYasmin doesn't have enough estrogento keep your acne away and your period in line anymore. If that's the case,you'll have to try a pill with a higher dosage, like Dianette.