Notifications
Clear all

First Visit to a Dermatologist after 16 years of self treatment...

MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 11/23/2015 1:03 pm

Hello all.

This is going my first visit to a dermatologist in almost 15 years. The last dermatologist I established ongoing care with was very rude. He told me I had fat arms. He also said my daughter who was a baby at the time probably wondered what was wrong with me ? Im nervous because this acne has continued to plague me for another 15 years..untreated by a doctor. My face looks like Freddy Krugar. Im nervous about the reaction Im going to receive and the comments. I feel like canceling. What should I expect ?

54321 liked
MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 11/23/2015 1:57 pm

Human Helperist, unlike other conditions, people derms included, seem to think that we have brought acne on ourselves and therefore deserve scorn and ridicule. What can I expect from the visit ? I have a huge cyst on my right cheek that I would like injected. He is probably going to say "Wow you are so old..and you still have acne ...?" He is probably going to say what everyone is thinking. Then Im going to feel self conscious and say wow is that how everyone sees me

54321 liked
MemberMember
(@madeupdreams)

Posted : 11/23/2015 2:30 pm

I've heard some real horror stories from some people on here about their dermatologists, so I feel fortunate for finding one that was so sweet and supportive on my first try. I had the same fears as you going into my appointment, but my dermatologist really set me at ease. Have you looked up patient reviews for the derm you're planning on seeing? That might help give you an idea of what their bedside manner is like. Some doctorshave little to no people skills, but there are plenty of others that do. Do a little research on your derm and maybe that will help you either feel a little less nervous or will help you on your way to finding someone who's a better fit. Good luck!

bumpee and 54321 liked
MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 11/23/2015 4:58 pm

Im mainly going because it is right near my house so I dont have to make an excuse that it is too far. Ive only read a couple of reviews. So Im not at ease. I work for a Medical Group but I dont feel comfortable seeing a Primary Care Provider for acne treatment. Besides they will probably just telli me its beyond their scope. Cant believe Ive been battling this since the age of 9. The first time I had to go was at the age of 9 for development of acne on my chin, I remember taking some orange flavor antibiotic having to put cream on my chin every night. After that came the 3 big cysts on my nose. Finally had them injected. In high school, I took it upon myself to go to the dermatologist. I did not want my parents knowing and making a big deal out of it to everyone. I think I used my own money from work to pay for it and only got samples. I went to the school doctor's office for Strep once in College but the receptionist loudly asked if I was there for acne. On a few occasions, I have to gone to the Doctor for other issues, and they have metioned my skin. How nice. So much later, once my oldest was born and I had excellent insurance, I started seeing a dermatologist regularly. He was more interested in selling products. But they did work well. MD Forte. When he did my first blood test, (we were planning on me starting accutane) he said its a good thing I have fat arms. Then one weekend I came in with my daughter and he said she probably wonders why I have that on my face and she doesnt have it on hers. I even remember emailing him asking to be more compassionate. But I also found out I was pregnant right after that, so we decided to use only topical medications and they worked well. This is my first time in a long time going to the doc and Im so nervous. I will update y'all this evening after the appointment.

MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 12/02/2015 9:23 am

Well I didnt go. I walked in and there were at least 20 people ahead of me. I was told over the phone that there would be no wait since it was an evening appointment. I did not like the vibe there anyway. I will search for a better fit.

MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 12/08/2015 3:23 pm

Well I did it. I went to my Primary Care Provider who also has an area of expertise in dermatological issues. (I chose her because of that )We had a quick chat. She actually thought I was ten years younger than I am so I guess the Glycolic Acid is working lol. I was prescribed clindamyacin, retin a and a low dose of birth control. She also suggested that I use Cetaphil, Clinique Moisturizer and to stop using the Neutrogena products because they dry my skin out causing more oil and acne.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 12/09/2015 10:47 am

Well that's very positive! I probably wouldn't be wrong in saying that birth control works for the large majority of females so fingers crossed.

bumpee liked
MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 12/16/2015 2:29 pm

Thanks Lore. Im feeling more positive. I look forward to the day when I am treated like a normal person instead of a freak. I wonder what that is like. At least Im feeling like Im getting some where.It is like when you first start losing weight a journey I know all too well too. No one else notices, but you do. You start putting on skimpier clothing or at the very least more daring clothing. Although it may not be the right time, you know you are working on improvement. Thats how I feel about my skin right now. On Friday I went to my company's Christmas Party and danced my @#$ off. Co workerstold me I looked amazing. I know it was not because of my skin..but I even felt good about that because altthough Ive only been on medication for a week, I feel prettier. A week ago, I had four of the biggest cysts right in between my eyes. Four. I tried to cover my face with my hair and my hat. Since Monday my face is completely exposed. Hair pulled back. No my facestill doesnt look good, but im feeling much better. Im already noticing a difference.

Lore91 liked
MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 12/23/2015 10:31 am

I can say one thing, my face does not feel oily. I dont have to rush home and wash my face or cover tons of spots. My concern is that my skin looks dry and I think it makes me look older as opposed to the youthful look when my skin is shiny. Im afraid to use moisturizer. Im somewhat pleased with the results two weeks into treatment but when am I going to see my skin actually getting clear as opposed to just having the spots dry up and flatten ? I want to see smooth cheeks not spots and holes.