Notifications
Clear all

Redness and white dots under Eyes

MemberMember
(@patlbi)

Posted : 11/22/2015 5:34 pm

Hello all, thank you in advance to any responses!

Attached is a picture of my problem. I was wondering if anyone could shed light as to what this is and how i can treat/manage it. I have lots of redness under my eyes along with little white dots that are located in the redness. I have always had it and was curious what its called and possibly if its acne related (which i have bad acne all on my chin, nose, forehead) 

Thanks alot

FullSizeRender.jpg

MemberMember
(@mementomori)

Posted : 11/23/2015 2:09 am

Those are just enlarged oil glands aka sebaceous glands. They are not milia or syringomas. Everyone has oil glands underneath their eyes, some individuals may havemore apparent glandsdue to thin skin.

I have these as well. Ihave had a number of treatments. They've improved, but they can return as these glands are a normal part of the skin structure.

Do not waste your money or time using creams/gels. The glands are too far in the dermis to respond to any kind of superficial treatment. The only time a cream or gel such as an exfoliant like Retin A would beuseful isafter they've been removed. That would help keep them at bay.

Any derm you go to will probably suggest hyfrecation as a treatment. All that does is zap the glands and a crust will form on them. Hyfrecation truly has no effect on them because as I said, these are under the skin and hyfrecation is mainly used for surface skin irregularities such as moles, warts, so on. I wasted a lot of money with hyfrecation.

I had to basically treat these myself so I bought an electrosurgical machine off of eBay. It operates using radiofrequency which allowsbloodless incisions and minimal pain. It sounds really scary, but all I do is take a tool that has a needle point and put that on the gland and with the machine's help, it opens the gland and all that dried sebum comes out. A small crust will form and within 3-5 days, I'm healed.

I'm in no way suggesting you do this, just sharing my own experience. I had to learn as I went but was confident enough to perform this because of all the info I've acquired struggling with them.

Most of them have stayed away. Some have returned but they're smaller. It's hit or miss. I haven't done a treatment in months because I've mostly gotten them all and I'm happy with the results.

That was longer than intended, my bad!

patlbi liked
MemberMember
(@patlbi)

Posted : 11/23/2015 10:51 am

Thanks a lot for your response! Lots of information.

I've read articles about how to get rid of this condition, and they've said to try using creams. Glycolic Acid and retinal creams were recommended. do you think that retin-a, for example, will help this even if it's just a little bit. Because I have tretinoin cream (retinal) and was wondering if I should use it? Thanks a lot

MemberMember
(@patlbi)

Posted : 11/23/2015 11:17 am

9 hours ago, mementomori said:

Those are just enlarged oil glands aka sebaceous glands. They are not milia or syringomas. Everyone has oil glands underneath their eyes, some individuals may havemore apparent glandsdue to thin skin.

I have these as well. Ihave had a number of treatments. They've improved, but they can return as these glands are a normal part of the skin structure.

Do not waste your money or time using creams/gels. The glands are too far in the dermis to respond to any kind of superficial treatment. The only time a cream or gel such as an exfoliant like Retin A would beuseful isafter they've been removed. That would help keep them at bay.

Any derm you go to will probably suggest hyfrecation as a treatment. All that does is zap the glands and a crust will form on them. Hyfrecation truly has no effect on them because as I said, these are under the skin and hyfrecation is mainly used for surface skin irregularities such as moles, warts, so on. I wasted a lot of money with hyfrecation.

I had to basically treat these myself so I bought an electrosurgical machine off of eBay. It operates using radiofrequency which allowsbloodless incisions and minimal pain. It sounds really scary, but all I do is take a tool that has a needle point and put that on the gland and with the machine's help, it opens the gland and all that dried sebum comes out. A small crust will form and within 3-5 days, I'm healed.

I'm in no way suggesting you do this, just sharing my own experience. I had to learn as I went but was confident enough to perform this because of all the info I've acquired struggling with them.

Most of them have stayed away. Some have returned but they're smaller. It's hit or miss. I haven't done a treatment in months because I've mostly gotten them all and I'm happy with the results.

That was longer than intended, my bad!

Thanks a lot for your response! Lots of information.

I've read articles about how to get rid of this condition, and they've said to try using creams. Glycolic Acid and retinal creams were recommended. do you think that retin-a, for example, will help this even if it's just a little bit. Because I have tretinoin cream (retinal) and was wondering if I should use it? Thanks a lot

MemberMember
(@mementomori)

Posted : 11/23/2015 1:08 pm

If you decide to use any cream, use Retin A (Tretinoin). Tread lightly with it because it can be irritating, especially under the eyes. As I said earlier, creams will not necessarily help much, but everyone is different so give it a shot if you think it will produce results.

patlbi liked
MemberMember
(@patlbi)

Posted : 11/23/2015 1:58 pm

51 minutes ago, mementomori said:

If you decide to use any cream, use Retin A (Tretinoin). Tread lightly with it because it can be irritating, especially under the eyes. As I said earlier, creams will not necessarily help much, but everyone is different so give it a shot if you think it will produce results.

I really appreciate your help:)

thank you