Notifications
Clear all

Permenant Jaw + Cheek acne

MemberMember
(@russells11)

Posted : 11/21/2015 8:55 am

I'm 19 and for the last 4 months I've had the same cystic acne on my cheeks and jaw. No new ones, just the same permenant marks - not healing but just sitting there doing nothing :(

My Tzone and other areas are generally good it's just these parts which are terrible. Benzoyl peroxide, tea tree oil, sudocreme, toothpaste, have all done nothing. 

My acne affects me greatly in terms of being social, I'll stay in because of the fear of my acne being judged. And when I do go out I try to cover up with a concealer as much as possible- making it worse

Please help me! 

xx

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@niecyd)

Posted : 11/21/2015 11:13 am

There's quite a bit of inflammation there. I noticed that you've just been using acne products. Have you ever tried treating the inflammation and irritation instead of treating the acne?

MemberMember
(@russells11)

Posted : 11/21/2015 5:54 pm

6 hours ago, Niecyd said:

There's quite a bit of inflammation there. I noticed that you've just been using acne products. Have you ever tried treating the inflammation and irritation instead of treating the acne?

What do you mean by that? My routine is to cleanse, tone, apply topical treatment, then moisturise. Other than that I'm not sure what else I could do?

thanks

MemberMember
(@niecyd)

Posted : 11/21/2015 8:22 pm

2 hours ago, Russells11 said:

What do you mean by that? My routine is to cleanse, tone, apply topical treatment, then moisturise. Other than that I'm not sure what else I could do?

thanks

I wouldn't use benzyl peroxide or tea tree for someone who's skin (from the photos) looks like there are some other issues. I'd worry about that first before trying to treat the acne. Like your skin is not healing. But I can't tell if that's open skin,bruising, or both.

MemberMember
(@russells11)

Posted : 11/22/2015 7:00 am

11 hours ago, Chloe123 said:

Have you been to a derm? Prescribed creams such as differin etc can help.

But, usually acne is an internal problem. Things like: cutting out dairy, gluten, taking vitamins, detoxing with juicing, regulating hormones etc would probably help more than your skincare :) 

Hope this helps!

im contemplating going to my local gp in the next few days. 

But I feel that's the only option left, as I already take zinc, vitamin C, and other supplements. Along with cutting out dairy, and drinking more than 3 litres of water and green tea a day. 

Do you have any idea on what the derm can do to help?

thank you!

10 hours ago, Niecyd said:

I wouldn't use benzyl peroxide or tea tree for someone who's skin (from the photos) looks like there are some other issues. I'd worry about that first before trying to treat the acne. Like your skin is not healing. But I can't tell if that's open skin, bruising, or both.

It's mainly painful cysts, that aren't open, along with smaller cysts that have gone down a bit but have dried over the top due to the benzol peroxide (I presume)

so none of it is open skin trying to heal, it's just the cysts aren't healing internally on their own :(

thanks

Niecyd liked
MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 11/22/2015 1:59 pm

Benzoyl Peroxide on it's own will be pretty inefficient against acne where cysts are forming. Just go see your GP and they'll recommend a few medicines to try.

You probably want to ask them if you can have a combination of treatments to try and clear up as quickly as possible e.g. a topical retinoid in the morning e.g. Differin and then a topical antibiotic at night e.g. Duac.

Just remember that it can be a long process finding a combination that works!

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 11/22/2015 8:27 pm

A derm can definitely prescribe a cream as the user above suggested. (differin, etc). Maybe even an antibiotic in combination with the cream to decrease the chances of a initial breakout. If all else fails, remember accutane is always an option. However, your acne looks mild-moderate, so it should clear up easily 🙂

MemberMember
(@russells11)

Posted : 11/23/2015 6:41 am

10 hours ago, Chloe123 said:

A derm can definitely prescribe a cream as the user above suggested. (differin, etc). Maybe even an antibiotic in combination with the cream to decrease the chances of a initial breakout. If all else fails, remember accutane is always an option. However, your acne looks mild-moderate, so it should clear up easily 🙂

Thank you! X

MemberMember
(@sooby77)

Posted : 11/24/2015 10:16 pm

Hi Russels11,Tea Tree oil will be a very good treatment. Try Keeva's Tea Tree Oil Acne Treatment Cream. http://www.acne.org/keeva-organics-keeva-tea-tree-oil-acne-treatment-cream-reviews-10409/ .Thanks to its high potency and purity, Keeva provides a unique combination of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. These disinfecting and soothing properties, unlike other acne treatments, will not strip the skin of its natural oils and cause further damage. Used regularly, Keeva will quickly and safely diminish and eliminate stubborn pimples, persistent zits, unsightly blemishes, and more!

MemberMember
(@prestonmeyers)

Posted : 11/25/2015 10:37 am

I wouldn't recommend putting up concealer as you said in your first post because it makes things worse (at least for me). It can cause cloggedpores if it is not a non comedogenic product. I tried concealing my cystic acne for 5 years and it was hell. I gave up when starting Accutane, knowing I'd look like a mess. So I'd recommend going to a dermatologist like others said : Differin and even Accutane could be options.

Hang in there, I feel you.

MemberMember
(@russells11)

Posted : 11/27/2015 11:34 am

Just been to my GP and she's prescribed me zineryt lotion - a zinc based antibiotic product to use after cleansing twice a day. Fingers cross and I'll let you know how it goes

MemberMember
(@russells11)

Posted : 01/04/2016 8:39 am

I've been on zineryt for about a month and a half now and it seems my acne is getting worse. The "front" of my face such as the t-zone, chin, and forehead have cleared well. However I'm getting more and more cysts and spots on my jawline and cheeks. Aswell as permenant blemishes and redness in the same areas. I've included pictures. 

Should I consider going back to the dermatologist?

image.jpg

image.jpg