Notifications
Clear all

am I a good candidate for accutane?

MemberMember
(@shelbyjane123)

Posted : 11/20/2015 10:49 am

So I'm starting Accutane in 10 days and I'm both sickly terrified and excited. This whole month I've been obsessing over researching people's experiences with the drug: results, side effects, horror stories..all that good stuff. Truth is, it's only made me more confused. My type of acne is not something I'm seeing much on the Internet, and it's concerning me moving forward. 

In a sense, I'm a perfect candidate for Accutane. My acne's a persistant son of a bitch, nothing I have tried has really worked, and it's scarring. Cool. On the other hand, certain things about my skin make me question wether or not Accutane is the best idea for me. I have extremely dry skin.. ezcema too. I don't have cystic acne (for the most part) but instead, persistent moderate acne, with loads of clogged pores and blackheads.

I'll attach a couple images of what my face looks like now. I have some face powder on, so it's not as bad as it would look with a bare face- but you still get an idea of how shitty it is.  

let me know what you think, wether or not I'm a good candidate for this drug.

I'm so desperate, I truly have tried everything, my acne is depressing me, and I'm at the end of my rope. I still want to move forward cautiously though, so I really appreciate any feedback. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

54321 liked
MemberMember
(@cam0175)

Posted : 11/20/2015 12:22 pm

I would say you are a good candidate for accutane..I wished I had taken accutane awhile ago but my stubbornness got the best of me. The temporary discomforts outweighs the results and I'm confident your type of acne will see improvement within 2 months...don't worry about the initial breakouts..something you can't really control just focus on the end results and stay positive!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 11/20/2015 1:05 pm

Having dry skin and eczema is a real concern. Accutane can make a mild annoyance into something unmanageable. You may want to ask about low dose.

good luck

MemberMember
(@shelbyjane123)

Posted : 11/20/2015 8:25 pm

thanks for the responses !

I think I'm going to just breathe, and bite the bullet. it's important to be cautious for this serious of a drug, but if my skin continues to look like this I'm afraid my depression will get worse and I'll live in wonder if Accutane would have worked for me. All I can do is hope that it'll change my life for the better. 

my side effects will probably suck ass cause of my already dry skin, I'm not gonna lie to myself about that one, but Im pretty sure that it will be worth it -I can't keep living with this insecurity. not a lot can be worse than how this acne makes me feel. 

I'll be starting Accutane a little over a week, and even if nobody cares I'm gonna continue to post my progress, cause it's nice to have a safe space. 

thanks for any support 🙂

MemberMember
(@petar)

Posted : 11/21/2015 1:05 pm

Hello there shelbyjane. First of all I will must to tell you, you care alot. Let me explain you how some things really goes.

You no need concern like that dear. Before taking Accutane, you must learn to focus on end results and stay positive ALL time. If you feel insecure at you and about all that, better to don't move forward, this is not for peoples who easy can be thrown into depression. That's reason for almost suicides "made" by accutane. You must know this concept on work, today your face can be 100% clean by tomorrow will be worse than ever you saw, in most situations that will happens 3-4 times in month. As you writed you saw a lot horror stories on internet. But, don't be enough silly to believe in everything what is written on internet. Most of these "horror effects" authors never suffered from acne. Lets be clear, most of them are sponsors to another acne products and are focused only on earning money. Do not let a few words to kill your happiness.

Cosmetic world is big business. These manufacturers makes few millions on week thanks to random products they made and teenagers skin problems. Well, like a cancer they will always works against success key.

About your dry skin, is not big deal. After 2-3 weeks ask your dermatologist for some easy cream based on oil and buy lipstick for dry lips. (almost uses eucerin).

So, that's all of me, last what I can say is If you want to move forward makes that confident till end or If you're going through hell, keeps going, because you already founded a best way to win in this battle. (I promise you!)

Have a good luck, we waiting on your results. 

MemberMember
(@gman2)

Posted : 11/22/2015 8:36 pm

I can totally relate to you. I have very similar acne on my cheeks and I always felt strange about it cuz after many google image searches I never really found anything that looked the same. Your cheeks are aa bit worse than mine were, but my temples and forehead were where I suffered the most. Im 5 weeks in to accutane and so far my forehead is almost 95% clear (It was very oily before) and my cheeks are making some slow progresshoping to really start seeing good results soon. Seeing your skin makes me feel less depressed about my acne cuz its so similar to mine and you look very beautiful in your picturesHopefully that didn't come off as creepy lol butanywaysGoodluck on your journey!

MemberMember
(@shelbyjane123)

Posted : 11/23/2015 2:47 pm

gman- it's good to know I'm not alone!thanks for the support brother, that's really sweet, not at all creepy.

hearing what you have to saygives me more hope starting accutane, still nervous..but I'm hopeful.

and good luck to you as well! we'll come out of this looking sexy as hell alright??

gman2 liked
MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 11/24/2015 10:24 am

I read too much stuff online and let people talk me out of it for years. I'm now 32 and finally dealing with my acne with isotretenoin. I'm one month in and no side effects so far. Start 40mg/day today, have been on 20. Some new spots is only difference.

Good luck, everyone is different. You may get no  side effects you may get a 100. No way of knowing until you try! :)

Some product recommendations: Aveeno hand cream & body wash, carmex lip balm in the little tub, e45 lotion in little pump bottle - really quick to put onbut provides amazing moisture, la roche posay or aveeno face moisturizer. been using all since day 1 and no dryness really. But I'm still on low dose so that could change..!