Notifications
Clear all

Purging with AHA, please HELPPPP

MemberMember
(@melikesuzun)

Posted : 11/17/2015 7:57 am

Hello,
I'm 18 years old. I have acne problem for like 2-3 years but they weren't that bad until I started to use Glycolic Acid products. I've been using Dermaplus MD's cleaning gel and acne treatment cream which contain %15 glycolic acid and %2 salicylic acid also I use Dermaceutic's Glycolic Acid & Bentonit mask which contains %15 glycolic acid, %2 salicylic acid and bentonit (clay). Since I started using these products, my acne has been worse. I read that this is the purging process but I am not sure. It's been 6-7 weeks so I wonder that is it purging? If so, how long it will take you think? Or should I stop using AHA products?

Thank you so so much.

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 11/17/2015 2:28 pm

i know with glycolic acid you are supposed to build up a tolerance to it by starting with 5% so if you didn't do this and jumped straight to the 15% that might have something to do with it. i bought neostrata's glycolic face wash and the 5% lotion (i now use the 10%) but for a few weeks i broke out really bad so i stopped the face wash and just used the lotion and i really like it. my skin cleared up immediately. imo, 15% glycolic AND 2% salicylic seems like overkill. my bet would be it is irritation rather than purging. i would try just using a gentle cleanser and a 5% lotion. works really well at keeping acne away and your pores clean.

MemberMember
(@melikesuzun)

Posted : 11/17/2015 4:31 pm

2 hours ago, hopeless87 said:

i know with glycolic acid you are supposed to build up a tolerance to it by starting with 5% so if you didn't do this and jumped straight to the 15% that might have something to do with it. i bought neostrata's glycolic face wash and the 5% lotion (i now use the 10%) but for a few weeks i broke out really bad so i stopped the face wash and just used the lotion and i really like it. my skin cleared up immediately. imo, 15% glycolic AND 2% salicylic seems like overkill. my bet would be it is irritation rather than purging. i would try just using a gentle cleanser and a 5% lotion. works really well at keeping acne away and your pores clean.

2 hours ago, hopeless87 said:

thank you so much for the reply. Your thoughts totally makes sense to me. I will stop using the cream and the mask and just go on with the cleanser with a healing moisturizer. Thank you so much again.

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 11/18/2015 1:40 pm

glad i could help :)

MemberMember
(@niecyd)

Posted : 11/20/2015 1:01 am

Purging is normal. I will say to make sure that you are wearing spf while using and also limit your treatments to the evening.

MemberMember
(@e-g-g)

Posted : 12/17/2015 12:14 am

If ur using acid on ur face three consecutive nights is the max for it to penetrate on ur skin. Aftr dat u will go on to f healing process. Wch means u shod stop using it aftr three nights to allow skin generate to a healthy ones. Aftr 3 days of peeling use it again. More of like 2-3x evry week. Too much is always bad. Unless its water. 🙂