Notifications
Clear all

Questions for 20+ yo women with acne/scarring

MemberMember
(@ichhasseakne)

Posted : 11/14/2015 8:37 am

I have a few questions specifically for women with adult acne and scarring. More specifically, women who use makeup to cover acne scarring.

Would you be more willing to date a man (or another woman if you are lesbian) who has acne scarring compared to a man/woman who does not?

The reason I ask is to see if you generally would be more inclined to date someone who knows the struggles and pain you have been through. Furthermore, some men's attractiveness to you may change if they see you without makeup... I recall that there was a pop culture saying I heard from somewhere that went something like "Dude, make sure you take her to beach at least once before you marry her!". The implication of that saying being that the man would be able to see the woman without makeup on and then decide if he was still attracted to her...

Would you try to date and marry a man who doesn't have acne scarring so that any potential children you have have a reduced chance of having acne?

Anyway, I was just curious about this since I have almost not LTR experience and limited dating experience. Also the reason why I mentioned I'm interested to hear from women 20+ years old is because younger than that, one's acne could mainly still be due to puberty. But that age and older, the acne is likely adult acne and caused by hormonal changes that unfortunately result in more women having adult acne than men in their 20s, 30s +.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 11/15/2015 5:59 am

I have a few questions specifically for women with adult acne and scarring.  More specifically, women who use makeup to cover acne scarring.

Would you be more willing to date a man (or another woman if you are lesbian) who has acne scarring compared to a man/woman who does not?

The reason I ask is to see if you generally would be more inclined to date someone who knows the struggles and pain you have been through.  Furthermore, some men's attractiveness to you may change if they see you without makeup...   I recall that there was a pop culture saying I heard from somewhere that went something like "Dude, make sure you take her to beach at least once before you marry her!".  The implication of that saying being that the man would be able to see the woman without makeup on and then decide if he was still attracted to her...

Would you try to date and marry a man who doesn't have acne scarring so that any potential children you have have a reduced chance of having acne?

Anyway, I was just curious about this since I have almost not LTR experience and limited dating experience.   Also the reason why I mentioned I'm interested to hear from women 20+ years old is because younger than that, one's acne could mainly still be due to puberty.  But that age and older, the acne is likely adult acne and caused by hormonal changes that unfortunately result in more women having adult acne than men in their 20s, 30s +.

I wear make up to hide my acne. Its the only way i feel i can pass as somewhat normal in day to day life. I have never been in a serious relationship with a guy and so i have never had to face that moment of them seeing me without make up. Probably why i have avoided relationships :(  

I would definately like to date a guy with acne. There just dont seem to be any around where i live. ;)

MemberMember
(@ichhasseakne)

Posted : 12/17/2015 9:14 am

Bump! Any other women want to weigh in on this topic?

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 01/14/2016 12:13 pm

I'm dating a guy who, while has relatively okay skin (he has the rare zits from time to time, and he has blackheads) had experienced cystic acne before and has the scars to prove it.

But he has seen me when my skin was its worst (and by worst, I mean really bad -- I had cystic acne everywhere and smiling or sleeping hurt so much) and loves me still. I think it helped that we met before my skin was at its worst, and we fell in love. The other guys I've dated had acne or at least a brush with acne as well.

MemberMember
(@ichhasseakne)

Posted : 01/15/2016 10:28 am

22 hours ago, getschwifty said:

I'm dating a guy who, while has relatively okay skin (he has the rare zits from time to time, and he has blackheads) had experienced cystic acne before and has the scars to prove it.

But he has seen me when my skin was its worst (and by worst, I mean really bad -- I had cystic acne everywhere and smiling or sleeping hurt so much) and loves me still. I think it helped that we met before my skin was at its worst, and we fell in love. The other guys I've dated had acne or at least a brush with acne as well.

I am glad that you were able to find someone who is understanding and sticks by you knowing what your skin looks like. It gives me a sliver of hope that I may find a woman who can see beyond my acne scars....

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 01/15/2016 12:18 pm

1 hour ago, IchhasseAkne said:
On 1/14/2016 938, getschwifty said:

I am glad that you were able to find someone who is understanding and sticks by you knowing what your skin looks like. It gives me a sliver of hope that I may find a woman who can see beyond my acne scars....

You definitely will. Don't lose hope, and don't "look" for love. Be yourself, engage in activities you are passionate about, and I'm sure you will meet someone who is passionate about the same things that you are.

MemberMember
(@d3adlyarr0w)

Posted : 01/15/2016 12:50 pm

Tbh this thread brought me comfort lol

MemberMember
(@jzea92)

Posted : 01/15/2016 5:01 pm

Hello, good question. For me, it would not matter. I could care less either way. I just would want someone who would not judge me and could accept my skin condition without makeup. I wouldn't want to feel like I would have to wear makeup all the time.

MemberMember
(@destalinization)

Posted : 01/16/2016 8:57 pm

I'm a 24 year old woman and I would be more than happy to date someone with acne of any degree of severity. Obviously, I would still need to be physically attracted to the person in general, but acne wouldn't dissuade me in the least. I actually think it would be something over which to bond if the other person were to be as self-conscious as I am...and if they turned out to be completely fine with their skin and not bothered at all, they'd be a good role model.

Long term relationships aren't built solely on physical attraction unless you're kind of a shallow husk of a human being anyway, from my point of view. I can't even tell you how much I'd rather end up with a total sweetheart with cystic acne than some random trash can with immaculate skin.

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 01/17/2016 5:24 pm

I would rather date someone with scars, then I don't have to think about it. Otherwise, I'll always think what if you know. However, because of this I look at people specifically with acne/scarring to consider it then they just get annoyed at me like I was looking at their acne but I was just considering you know how much easier it would be if I met someone with scarring too.

Unfortunately, those with scarring will notice it more than those who doesn't have it. I have had guys be like yeah, but whatever. I mean it is there, but it isn't that big of a deal, and then I'll have people with scarring/ and doctors be like oh my god you need to fix that. So, I don't know if we've just developed a phobia for it or something.

In the end, then, it might not be better to date someone with scarring/acne even though it might feel so much better to.