Notifications
Clear all

Isotetenoine experience 32yr old Female UK

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 11/10/2015 6:29 am

Currently on day 15 of isotretinoin 20mg/day. Suffered from acne since I was about 15, 32 now. Antibiotics never worked, contraceptive pill 'worked' pretty well for years but I always had one or two spots and monthly breakouts. Came off the pill permanently last year and skin broke out v bad about three months later. Went to derma and was put on antibiotic & topical treatment for 6 months. Cleared some of the acne (it definitely gotworse before better)but still persisted on cheeks & chin so derma prescribed Isotretinoin. She actually wanted to prescribe it 6 months ago but I was reluctant due to do so over summer months due to skin sensitivity in sun and not being able to drink. Was also very worried about initial breakout and even more so about the psychological side effects.

So far, I have not experienced any negative side effects. Skin looks pretty good today. I notice my skin is less oily, make up stays on all day, no need to pat or add powder. Also my hair is not getting greasy half as fast. I've been using e45 cream on body and la roche posay products on face for sensitive skin. Carmex on lips. I'm also drinking lots of water, which I would have always done anyway. I have not had any alcohol and do not plan on having any while on treatment.I don't think this has anything to do with lack of side effects though, I think I'm just tolerating this low dose by luck. I will be escalated up to 40 or 60 in couple of weeks time and I am sure then the extreme dyness etc will kick in. I am really hoping to avoid initial breakout though. The majority of people do not actually get this, although coming online you would be lead that the vast majority get it. I think this is because if you have a horrific IB then you are likely to come online and talk about it. However, if you look at the stats, most people avoid this. the IB was a major reason for me not wanting to start this drug, just shows it pays to do the research and not believe everything you see online. Also, I have hadno psychological side effects (touch wood, this is unlikely on a low dose) butagain this is a rare side effect (affects less than 1 in 1,000). Most contraceptive pills list mood disturbance/depression as common side effectsso again I think it pays to research in reliable sources - the SPC is a good place to start https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/15655 . No aches or pains either, I am sporty so hoping this doesn't affect me, although I have given up running as a precaution and taken up other sports that are easier on the joints.

I am keen to hear if other people have had similar experience to me and if their side effects worsened on dose escalation?

Good luck all x

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 11/15/2015 4:00 am

Day 20 and still much the same. Lips a little drier but Carmex works brilliantly. Been working out loads and no pains please let this continue!! Few new spots yesterday but nothing too drastic. I had been on antibiotics right up to starting isotretinoin so the fact that I've stopped that and the iso may not be at a therapeutic dose yet may be the reason for these spots. Either that I'm or this the the start of an IB...

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 11/17/2015 5:17 am

Day 22, few big cysts on my face. This means it's working so I am not concerned. Bring it on!

MemberMember
(@rachuk36)

Posted : 11/20/2015 11:03 pm

Hi Isogirl

just wanted to say hi and goodluck with the course. I am also from the UK, I'm 36 and on day 25 of roaccutane. I am on 40mg now, with the plan to go up to 60mg @ 6 weeks.

I will be interested to hear more about your progress as the weeks go on.

Like you, I have had acne for a long time ( I can remember getting spots in primary school) but my skin really hit a low point in the last few months. I'm hoping for great results on roaccutane and I hope you get them too.

take care and lots of luck

x

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 11/23/2015 9:58 am

On 21/11/2015 0411, RachUK36 said:

Hi Isogirl

just wanted to say hi and goodluck with the course. I am also from the UK, I'm 36 and on day 25 of roaccutane. I am on 40mg now, with the plan to go up to 60mg @ 6 weeks.

I will be interested to hear more about your progress as the weeks go on.

Like you, I have had acne for a long time ( I can remember getting spots in primary school) but my skin really hit a low point in the last few months. I'm hoping for great results on roaccutane and I hope you get them too.

take care and lots of luck

x

Hey! Thank you and best of luck too!!

Well I am on day 29 now and still no change. Ihave quite a few spots, my forehead has few biggies! Nothing too crazy though. My first 4 week follow up apt with doc is tomorrow so I think I will be put on 40mg. I don't really want to jump to 60 in one go. I really want to avoid crazy side effects if I can as right now this drug is not affecting my life at all. I'd rather be on it an extra month or so and maintain normal (bar alcohol!) lifestyle! How are you doing side effect wise?

x

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 11/26/2015 6:56 am

in to my second month now. Started 40mg couple days ago. Eyes feel irritated and blurry. Got eye drops hoping this helps. Anyone else had this issue?? I'm a bit worried! apart from this no real change, defo a little drier but nothing drastic.

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 11/28/2015 4:30 am

Day 5of 40mg, day 34 overall Ithink. Eyes seem to be OK. Using drops anyway for few more days. Have had some really intense pains in arms legs and fingers. Short blasts of pain only though so it's fine. Hopefully that doesn't get any worse. Face is pretty bad but iso isn't instant, all part of the process. Ikeep tellingmyself these should be the last breakouts I ever have and that cheers me up! Still no real dryness, weird. I do notice face dryer but not iso dry! I also notice big black circles under eyes even though I'm sleeping loads, maybe because skin is thinner? Or maybe I'm just 32 and knackered!!

Oh and during week I though I looked really terrible like I was hungover because my skin is drier. I've been drinking 4 litres water a day for last few days and I look much better.. ya know, bar all the acne ha ha.

Derm said I just see ffference in couple ofweeks not re if she meant side effect orimprovement... it was a very quick apt..thegood old NHS! Cantknock it though all of these appts and the drug is free, very lucky to have it!

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 11/30/2015 6:45 pm

OK skin is now officially really really bad! Worst it's been in ages. Defo am IB. And lip dryness has kicked in today. Here we go.....

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/02/2015 2:34 pm

Skin keeps getting worse. Chin and foreheadand cheeks. Chin/jawline waspretty clear and forehad totally clear before roaccutane. Huge spots!!!Good to know all the crap in my pores is obviously clearing out. It'sweirdly satisfying. Knowing theseare last of breakouts (hopefully) means it'snot the stressful horrible dispairing feeling you usually getwith bad breakouts.

Lips dry but rest isn't too bad. Keeping on top of it with moisturisers and drinking loads of water.

That's it for now!

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/11/2015 7:56 am

2.5 weeks in to 40mg/day (4 weeks on 20/day before that) and my IB seems to be improving. The spots are drying up.

Who knows what will happen over the coming weeks and months but I would really like to see adefinite overallimprovement soon. Although my IB is improving I am still worse than when I started 6.5 weeks ago! I am getting impatient!!

My side effects are minimal, I am very lucky so far. Just hope the bloody thing works!!! It's almost impossible for me to imagine my face without acne/red marks but I really really hope this is the end result.

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/16/2015 2:05 pm

Day 52 ish. Feel crap today my skinbroken out again yesterday and just looks awful now. And it's really painful. Spotsfull of yellow stuff and bleeding and can't pop them as i know ill scar.Embarrassing going to work like that. Major pity party going on here tonight and I hate that. Need to get back to positivity tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@leftridingcropinmortuary)

Posted : 12/16/2015 2:20 pm

like you said earlier, that just shows it's working!

Say goodbye, these are some of your final spots!!!

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/16/2015 3:32 pm

1 hour ago, LeftRidingCropInMortuary said:

like you said earlier, that just shows it's working!

Say goodbye, these are some of your final spots!!!

Aw thank you! You're right I know. Good have this forum to vent to people who get it!! Onwards and upwards :)

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 12/17/2015 1:31 pm

I never ended up on Roaccutane (although I was supposed to, but a pesky liver enzyme level) put paid to that. My skins much better now anyway, but I always wish I could have got on the 'tane. The thought of it 'curing' my acne is very appealing, but I doubt I'll ever end up on it now due to how mild my acne is.

I'm 33 and still plagued by acne, so know exactly what you're going through in that respect. It doesn't seem fair to be afflicted by this condition when it's so rare in our peers. Hopefully you'll get over this initial breakout soon and things will start clearing up. And, best of all, it should be for good!

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/17/2015 4:40 pm

Thanks Ben, you're so right it's especially bad at our age! Shame about the Roaccutane but at least you are pretty much sorted. They would probably allow u take it even with mild acne because of your history if you did want to think about it again.

Really hopethis is the last big breakout but I have a feeling it's not. It's pretty soul destroying I'm really embarrassed about my face and I haven't felt that bad in ages. Going to work with bigt yellow spots and bloody ones and a million other red ones, just awful!  Fingers crossed it works and in few months il be clear.  Thanks for reply :) 

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/21/2015 8:08 pm

OK so tonight (currently 1am) I have woken up with intense itching all over skin. So weird I feel like I've chicken pox but skin looks normal. Has anyone else experienced this and hasany product recommendations?? Ita all over body itching but as i said skin looksnormal. Have hardly any dry skin on face and none on body and on iso 8weeks now...Leaving UK for Xmas won't be seeing derm until January . Many thanks

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/25/2015 4:09 pm

Well, thankfully the itching hasn't happens again since!

Skin still crap,just constantly breaking out. Chin and cheeksare theworst and orehead not great either. Almost 9 weeks in now. I hope to start seeing an improvement around 12 weeks, fingers and toes crossed!! Skin on faceis quite dry now and lips. I don't have all products with me for Xmas and I think that's why it feels drier. You really do need patience with this drug! 9 weeks in andI'm still worse than when I started..! I also have a lot of back pain and my hands are quite sore too. Apart from that all OK!

MemberMember
(@rachuk36)

Posted : 12/26/2015 7:58 pm

Hi again Isogirl

sorry I haven't replied for a while but just came on the site and checked in on your post to see how you were getting on. I'm sorry you haven't seen an improvement yet- hang in there, I'm sure you will.

I saw a different dermatologist at my follow up a couple of weeks ago and he emphasised that they do not look for visible improvement until the full course is completed.

I have been really lucky, my skin was going through a REALLY bad spell when I first started the drug but my skin has cleared up dramatically. The Dermatologist did warn me that I could still experience a flare up at any point though. He also stated that people respond at different rates.

Side effect wise, my skin is a lot dryer and my lips are horrible but I can cope with that! I have also suffered from muscle pains but again, happy to put up with that.

I have been using cheap and cheerful simple moisturising face wash which has been fine. My skin is so sensitive and temperamental that I can't see the point of splashing out until I am done and I know what my skin will be like. I have also been using Cetaphyl moisturiser, which was recommended by the dermatologist, which is great.

anyway, merry Christmas and I hope you see better skin very soon.

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/28/2015 6:25 pm

On Sun Dec 27 2015 0022 GMT+0000, RachUK36 said:

Hi again Isogirl 

sorry I haven't replied for a while but just came on the site and checked in on your post to see how you were getting on. I'm sorry you haven't seen an improvement yet- hang in there, I'm sure you will.

I saw a different dermatologist at my follow up a couple of weeks ago and he emphasised that they do not look for visible improvement until the full course is completed.

I have been really lucky, my skin was going through a REALLY bad spell when I first started the drug but my skin has cleared up dramatically. The Dermatologist did warn me that I could still experience a flare up at any point though. He also stated that people respond at different rates.

Side effect wise, my skin is a lot dryer and my lips are horrible but I can cope with that! I have also suffered from muscle pains but again, happy to put up with that.

I have been using cheap and cheerful simple moisturising face wash which has been fine. My skin is so sensitive and temperamental that I can't see the point of splashing out until I am done and I know what my skin will be like. I have also been using Cetaphyl moisturiser, which was recommended by the dermatologist, which is great.

anyway, merry Christmas and I hope you see better skin very 

Hey Rach, hope you had a nice Xmas :)

Brilliant you skin has improved so much. Are you on 60 mg now? Re lips, have you tried the carmex in little yellow pot? It's so good nothing else comes close even the carmex in tube. I was without it for couple days and using other stuff and lips got so dry! 

I'm not sure if I will go to 60 or stay on 40. Back pain pretty bad amd pains in hands so I'd rather stay on the 40 I think but obvs see what derm says. 

Skin still crap, no major changes. Hopefully next post I will have something more exciting and positive to report :) 

Good luck! 

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 01/06/2016 7:08 am

10 Weeks in now. Double digits..!!

Lots of breakouts recently but today skin looking calmer. I know from before that it will most likely breakout again but who knows, maybe from now on it will improve! A lot of people seem to improve during third month so fingers crossed. Will be so weird and amazing looking at face minus acne - please hurry up Iso!!!!!! I was born without patience!!

MemberMember
(@lapa1052)

Posted : 01/07/2016 12:39 am

I'm jealous of you in a wEird way! I'm 26 and plagued with acne all my life tooo. I want badly to go through with accutane, but going through the 6 month process dry and breaking out sounds so difficult, especially while trying to date! I freak myself out. Keep it up! You're half way there, be done by summer!

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 01/07/2016 12:50 pm

12 hours ago, Lapa1052 said:

I'm jealous of you in a wEird way! I'm 26 and plagued with acne all my life tooo. I want badly to go through with accutane,  but going through the 6 month process dry and breaking out sounds so difficult,  especially while trying to date! I freak myself out.  Keep it up!  You're half way there, be done by summer! 

hey, I was the EXACT same as you! Terrified and put it off for years which I now massively regret. It will be worth it, just need ot be patient is all and I am not patient at all. The side effects for me have been minimal and the break outs yes they suck but they're totally manageable too! Don't let fear stop you, discuss with doc and if they think you're a good candidate defo consider it! I imagined myself with red flakey skin etc which hasn't been the case at all! Eveyrone is different and you could be unlucky or lucky you wnt know until you try! Yes almost half way and I cannot wait for summer with clear skin :) fingers crossed!!

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 01/08/2016 9:51 am

On 07/01/2016 0549, Lapa1052 said:

I'm jealous of you in a wEird way! I'm 26 and plagued with acne all my life tooo. I want badly to go through with accutane, but going through the 6 month process dry and breaking out sounds so difficult, especially while trying to date! I freak myself out. Keep it up! You're half way there, be done by summer!

Well today is the third day in a row where I am seeing improvement.. could this be the beginning of thebig turnaround?!really hope so. Spots all drying up and shrinking. This is best Ive looked in weeks. Hopefully the breakouts have stopped now. please please please!

Lapa1052 liked
MemberMember
(@lapa1052)

Posted : 01/09/2016 9:55 am

That's awesome! Ya hopefully the worst of it is over. That would be telephone
Relieving

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 01/12/2016 4:59 pm

11 weeks in today and it's still improving. Most spots now are tiny and dry. Few 'live ones' knocking about but overall huge improvement. Exciting stuff. Long way to go but I hope this continues :):):)