Notifications
Clear all

Yasmin for hormonal acne

MemberMember
(@natalielucy)

Posted : 11/08/2015 4:37 pm

Hi im just wondering if anyone on here has tried Yasmin for adult hormonal acne? I have had a blood test and am waiting for a scan for PCOS as the doctor thinks i have it.

I was given yaz to try before any of this came to light but I decided against it after reading horror stories online.

Im currently on the acne.org regimen and I really don't think it's working and ive seen mixed reviews on its effectiveness for hormonal acne.

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 11/08/2015 9:05 pm

Yes, Yasmin is a very good pill for acne -- at least for me, it cleared my face (and I also have PCOS).
As for the horror stories, they are basically the same pill, since both contains drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol --it's just that the dosage is a little bit different: Yasmin has moreethinyl estradiol than Yaz, which, in teory, does more harm to the body.

I would not worry much about those stories though. Each case should be treated separately and the most important is to know if you have a history of clood clots in your familly. I took Yaz and Yasmin for almost 10 years and nothing happened to me.

MemberMember
(@natalielucy)

Posted : 11/09/2015 9:31 am

Yes, Yasmin is a very good pill for acne -- at least for me, it cleared my face (and I also have PCOS).
As for the horror stories, they are basically the same pill, since both contains drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol --it's just that the dosage is a little bit different: Yasmin has moreethinyl estradiol than Yaz, which, in teory, does more harm to the body.

I would not worry much about those stories though. Each case should be treated separately and the most important is to know if you have a history of clood clots in your familly. I took Yaz and Yasmin for almost 10 years and nothing happened to me.

are you still on Yasmin now ? I don't know if the regimen is working for me and feel like helping it by adding in the pill.

Did you experience an initial Break out? There is no history of that in my family so think I should be okay

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 11/09/2015 9:52 pm

As for the horror stories, they are basically the same pill, since both contains drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol -- it's just that the dosage is a little bit different: Yasmin has more ethinyl estradiol than Yaz, which, in teory, does more harm to the body.

are you still on Yasmin now ? I don't know if the regimen is working for me and feel like helping it by adding in the pill. 

Did you experience an initial Break out? There is no history of that in my family so think I should be okay 

No, I'm not, but am seriously considering going back to Yaz (my body didn't adjust to Yasmin). I decided to take a break from the pill because I wanted to see if my body would adjust itself without it. Well, it's been two years now and my skin is horrible.

I didn't have an initial breakout in the beginning, but my skin didn't clear fast either. For the first months the pill did basically nothing to my skin (I still would get cysts and pimples), then after about 4 months it finally kicked in and my acne dissapeared.
If your skin gets worse while you're on Yasmin or Yaz, hang in there. It takes sometime to your pimples go away but, once they do, you'll be virtually acne free! :)

MemberMember
(@natalielucy)

Posted : 11/13/2015 6:56 pm

Thanks for the advice I'm seriously thinking to try it im on the regimen and I am seriously breaking our right now ! I feel like as my acne is hormonal I should regulate it with the pill

katsc liked
MemberMember
(@kekamarie)

Posted : 11/18/2015 9:31 am

I got on the birth control pill. My acne cleared up after two months. I have a few tiny unnoticeable spots here and there. But it worked for me and I knew I had hormonal acne since I would get massive flare ups during that time of the month. It is seriously worth trying out the pill. Remember that it works differently for everyone and it might not clear up your acne as fast as mine was cleared. I hope it works for you. Not having to deal with all of the creams to put on my face everyday is making me enjoy life so much more. I can actually walk out of the house without thinking people are staring at all of my acne. So I really hope it works for you, everyone deserves a clear face.

MemberMember
(@lauren98)

Posted : 12/06/2015 9:01 pm

Yasmin helped my acne but it hasn't cured it. When I started it I was taking marvelon, which made my face worse than ever. I know BCP takes time to improve acne, but after a couple of days after taking yasmin I could see all the cysts around my jaw reduce. Now I rarely get spots on my jaw line, whereas before it was always covered with cysts. I still do get spots around my mouth and cheeks though, but people have commented that my skin looks better.I've been on it for a year and I think that possibly it is losing its effectiveness now, because I was looking at photos from a few months ago, and my skin has gotten worse. I would recommend yasmin though. I didn't take for years because I was scared of the side effects. One day I just couldn't take it anymore so I decided to start taking it and I think it was a good decision.