Notifications
Clear all

Struggling to move forward in life because of Acne

MemberMember
(@rey12)

Posted : 11/07/2015 11:24 pm

I was going through some old photos from a few years ago from various events from my life, and I just kept noticing how awful my acne was (and still is) and how it seems like it has just become œapart of me. I™m 23 now and still struggle with it just as badly as I did when I was 11. I feel like people are always just going to remember and look at me as the girl with awful skin. I™ve never had enough courage to apply for a job or get a boyfriend because of it. 

I feel like I have tried everything from creams to pills. I have seen two dermatologists and done every acne treatment available on the market. It hurts for me to think about how much money I have spent to try and fix my skin with no success and how much disappointment I am constantly feeling when yet another treatment fails. My latest failed attempt is Tactuo, which I have been trying since March 2014. My skin is still covered in pimples, but now it feel like it™s always dry and burning. 

I™m sure a lot of you can relate to this. I just wanted somewhere to share my experience and rant a little. 

MemberMember
(@jj94)

Posted : 11/08/2015 1:35 am

I can relate.. I have been suffering from acne from the age of 13, and being the only one with my family with bad skin is really sad.. I have some scaring (mainly on my right cheek) from when it was worse (around age 15). I'm positive my acne is related to my thyroid. I am hypothyroid and a couple of months ago I increased my dose of levothyroxine by 1/4 and I have been seeing some improvement. I do believe diet has to do with my acne, so I have been avoiding dairy, chocolate, junk food, sugar, ect. It sucks sometimes, but honestly waking up to new pimples greeting you every morning is much worse. Are you doing anything diet wise?

MemberMember
(@rey12)

Posted : 11/08/2015 7:56 am

Yes, Ive cut dairy out completely from my diet, which as been fairly easy because Im lactose in tolerant. I havent really notice a huge difference between my skin when I ate dairy vs now.I try to avoid sugar as much as possible too, but I think it would be kind of difficult to cut completely. Ill just continue to try and avoid chocolate and junk food like you said.

It's so annoying though when I see people stuff their faces with chocolate and never get a single pimple. They are so lucky...

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 11/08/2015 1:59 pm

I'm sorry to hear this :( acne can definately take a toll. No-one on here finds it easy, so know you're not alone!

if you've tried everything , and you're willing, i'd personally push for accutane. I wish I took it sooner so I wouldn't have gotten to the stage where I was suicidal earlier this year because of my skin.

mentally, I can't offer much support as i'm still struggling to cope myself, but im sure it will get easier. Something that really helped me was to play video games. Literally just completely distract myself from the world!

MemberMember
(@rey12)

Posted : 11/08/2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for the advice, Lore91. It looks like I might have to go that route. I was a little bit afraid to because of the side effects. My doctor gave me pill to treat my acne called tetracyclinebut I remember him saying if 6 months of using it didn't work he would recommend accutane. I just hate the thought having to use such hard drugs to treat something that shouldn't be this big of a deal, but I guess if it's my only option I'll have no choice but to go for it.

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 11/09/2015 2:10 am

Yes, Ive cut dairy out completely from my diet, which as been fairly easy because Im lactose in tolerant. I havent really notice a huge difference between my skin when I ate dairy vs now.I try to avoid sugar as much as possible too, but I think it would be kind of difficult to cut completely. Ill just continue to try and avoid chocolate and junk food like you said.

It's so annoying though when I see people stuff their faces with chocolate and never get a single pimple. They are so lucky...

Who told you to do that? I mean where did you get this deluding information from?

There are millions of milk-guzzling Scandinavians and none of them have acne of any kind.

MemberMember
(@rey12)

Posted : 11/21/2015 3:13 pm

I've read a lot about it online. I hope you're not angry with me. I didn't do it just because of my acne, but also because it was hurting my stomach and my doctor said to avoid it if it's bothering me.

Here's an article I read about avoiding dairy. [Edited link out]