Notifications
Clear all

How low is Doxycycline 50 mg a day for acne?And for how long you can take them?

MemberMember
(@naimur97)

Posted : 11/07/2015 11:09 am

I've just turned 18 and have been on doxycycline 50 mg a day for about four months now.I am pretty clear at the moment considering the fact that I occasionally get a spot here and there which last for a few days.But I'm scarred from previous cystic acne(around 10 scars on entire face) and still have red marks.
So how low is this dosage of antibiotic for acne?Will I break out pretty bad when Istop taking it?
And for how long can I take this dose safely without the bacteria getting resistant to this drug?
Thanks for your time and please do answer.
Cheers.

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 11/08/2015 6:23 am

The good news is doxyclcline works on multiple fronts. It kills the bacteria and is anti inflammatory. If the bacteria becomes resistant then it should still help for being anti inflammatory. Doxycycline coarses are usually continued as long as the drug is still keeping your acne away. No exact time frame on how long it will take for bacteria to become resistant.

In most cases it is not a permanant fix. Generally used to keep teens cleared until puberty is finished and their skin clears naturally. There is a good chance you will break out once you stop. The best thing is to get a headstart in controlling your acne before you stop. Benzoil peroxide, or Retin A are good options. Cleaning up your diet helps too.

MemberMember
(@naimur97)

Posted : 11/08/2015 7:26 am

Can you be a little specific about cleaning my diet?please.
and is 50 mg quite low?

MemberMember
(@natalielucy)

Posted : 11/08/2015 4:53 pm

I went on doxy this time last year and was on it untill may 15 it kept me kinda clear but not as clear as I would have liked.

my doctor said I could keep on taking it after the 6 months but it defo started to stop working my skin is now worse than it has ever been in my life when I started doxy I only had spots on my chin they are now al over my cheeks and my chin and I have major
Hyperpigmentation.

I read tons of reviews when I was on it and they all warned that this was not a permenant solution but at the time I just wanted clear skin. I'm now trying to treat my acne topically using the regimen and I am very reluctant to try any more anti biotics for my skin.

However everyone is different and doxy may work wonders for u

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 11/08/2015 11:36 pm

Chris1137 is absolutely right. doxycycline is anti microbial and more importantly anti inflammatory. Antibiotics can buy you time to either outgrow acne or allow the topicals to take over. 50mg is low but effective in your case, and you can take it for several months or years like me. Antibiotic resistance is inevitable and probably is present on your skin already, so don't worry about it. I never believed in the diet thing but switching to benzoyl peroxide and topical retinoids is the best way to control acne.

Chris1337 liked
MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 11/09/2015 2:29 am

Can you be a little specific about cleaning my diet?please.
and is 50 mg quite low?

50mg is a lower dose and usually prescribed for long term antimflamatory use. If its working continue to use it. I took it for about 6 months. Lots of my acne was caused by fungus so It did not help, it still continued to help the larger inflamatory spots.

Cleaning up your diet is very vague and can mean a lot of different things. There is a subforum for acne dieting on this forum. For me a clean lower carb, higher fat diet helped a lot with my acne. Many people have issues with carbs, processed foods, soy, diary and wheat. Even with the positive effects diet had I still had a ton of active spots so am now on accutane which is currently helping.

Naimur97 liked
MemberMember
(@naimur97)

Posted : 11/09/2015 5:45 am

I went on doxy this time last year and was on it untill may 15 it kept me kinda clear but not as clear as I would have liked.

my doctor said I could keep on taking it after the 6 months but it defo started to stop working my skin is now worse than it has ever been in my life when I started doxy I only had spots on my chin they are now al over my cheeks and my chin and I have major
Hyperpigmentation.

I read tons of reviews when I was on it and they all warned that this was not a permenant solution but at the time I just wanted clear skin. I'm now trying to treat my acne topically using the regimen and I am very reluctant to try any more anti biotics for my skin.

Can I know how old are you?

MemberMember
(@natalielucy)

Posted : 11/09/2015 9:32 am

Hyperpigmentation.

I'm 26

MemberMember
(@naimur97)

Posted : 11/10/2015 2:04 am

Hyperpigmentation.

I'm 26

is ur acne hormonal?

MemberMember
(@natalielucy)

Posted : 11/10/2015 3:26 am

Hyperpigmentation.

I'm 26

is ur acne hormonal?

I think so yes so that is probably why doxy did not work for me so for you you'll prob see better results but even so anti biotics for acne are not a long term solution

Naimur97 liked
MemberMember
(@naimur97)

Posted : 11/10/2015 3:31 am

Hyperpigmentation.

I'm 26

is ur acne hormonal?

I think so yes so that is probably why doxy did not work for me so for you you'll prob see better results but even so anti biotics for acne are not a long term solution

Yea I know,antibiotics aren't meant to treat acne.They are never a fix.They only control the acne.
I'll give this drug some more time and hope to grow out of acne in the meantime,since I'm 18.