Notifications
Clear all

Unemployed and anxious because of Acne/Scarring

MemberMember
(@roseycheeks)

Posted : 11/04/2015 8:34 am

New to this, so not too sure what to say but i'm having trouble trying to talk to the people closest to me in real life. I'm 21 years old and for the past 8 years I have struggled heavily with acne and then even worse with the acne scarring I have which is quite severe. Unable to find work after University, I recently was given a Christmas Temp job in a shop and 4 days into it and I have had to quit! I could not stand having to keep catching a glimpse of my face in the mirrors in the shop! I also felt so ugly when I have to talk to the other members of staff and for some reason i feel like i'm developing some kind of stutter because of the aniexty that has once again overcome me. My family are dissapointed in me and I'm having to live off of my partners income but I just can't make anyone around me understand the unbearable feelings I face daily. I am not a vain person but I just want to feel like a normal person and not inferior or insecure or angry 24/7 which I have felt for a long time. All I do all day is sit at home alone while my partner/family all go out to work and have friends and I just feel like I have nothing. I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is struggeling with this kind of thing :( x

MemberMember
(@kitteechaosyahoo-com)

Posted : 11/04/2015 12:18 pm

I feel this way, too. I just went back to work after being out for a year and a half, and my acne wasn't an issue back then. Now I am struggling with my skin, though it's not terrible, it still affects me. I realize I am very socially awkward now, I mean I was before but it has gotten worse. if I am having a bad breakout I don't want to look at people. The other night one of my coworkers was talking to me and I kept backing up slightly so my face wasn't so close to his and hoping he wouldn't notice my zits that I tried to cover with makeup, and I swear he moved closer every time I did, lol. I just wanted to say "Back off! Don't look at my zits!" ugh, I so wish that wasn't an issue. I just want to be able to socialize and do my job without worrying about my damn face.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 11/04/2015 9:37 pm

New to this, so not too sure what to say but i'm having trouble trying to talk to the people closest to me in real life. I'm 21 years old and for the past 8 years I have struggled heavily with acne and then even worse with the acne scarring I have which is quite severe. Unable to find work after University, I recently was given a Christmas Temp job in a shop and 4 days into it and I have had to quit! I could not stand having to keep catching a glimpse of my face in the mirrors in the shop! I also felt so ugly when I have to talk to the other members of staff and for some reason i feel like i'm developing some kind of stutter because of the aniexty that has once again overcome me. My family are dissapointed in me and I'm having to live off of my partners income but I just can't make anyone around me understand the unbearable feelings I face daily. I am not a vain person but I just want to feel like a normal person and not inferior or insecure or angry 24/7 which I have felt for a long time. All I do all day is sit at home alone while my partner/family all go out to work and have friends and I just feel like I have nothing. I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is struggeling with this kind of thing :( x

I understand completely. I couldnt work for awhile after i finished uni because my face upset me so much. And i also get very anxious talking to people. I won't even go into certain shops if they have alot of mirrors or really bright lighting. I cut my own hair because i can't bear sitting at the hairdressers and looking at myself in the mirror under those bright lights!

Over the years i have gotten better at hiding my anxiety and 'faking' that i'm a normal person. I have managed to find a job which is somewhat bearable for me.

Are you a girl? Have you tried wearing make up to cover your acne? I have found that helps me tremendously. 

I know how hard it is but i think sometimes its good to push yourself even if it makes you uncomfortable. The more you get out and practice talking to people you'll get better at it. You can do things like go to a travel agent and make enquiries about a pretend holiday. I know it sounds silly but make it a sort of game! Its just to practice talking more to people.

I have become better at talking to people at work and in shops. But i am still dreadful in social situations like parties. I guess my point is that sure it is more comfortable hiding away at home but your life will start to get a bit dull. You really need to push yourself a little bit even though it is difficult. 

MemberMember
(@mrjarjarbinks77)

Posted : 11/10/2015 1:38 am

Nobody is understanding. My friend made fun of my acne. It was cystic. He only knew that it is destructive he would get it. I think therapy is a great idea.