Notifications
Clear all

Depressed acne scar treatments - mild to moderate boxcar and icepick post-acne scars

MemberMember
(@cindity)

Posted : 11/03/2015 9:17 am

If you've done some reading on the treatments available for scarring, you probably would have come across horror stories; especially from laser. After all, its just nature to overestimate the odds of dreadful but infrequent events. And I'm ultimately, not rewarded for not taking any action.

Somewhere in April, I've tried out dermarolling; which I'd seen slow but substantial results from. Strengthened by newer advances in technology, I'm glad that I've finally took the first step to solve my primary skin concern, and as you can see I'm quickly progressing. HEH That might mean a tighter budget for other things, but it is one of my personal priorities.

Some cringe-worthy 'before' photos of my face. Because flaws are only obvious when pointed out. The depressed scars are mainly localized on my cheeks, at least those are the ones that I'm self-conscious of. I'd spent money letting beauticians squeeze out the zits, leaving these bad scars. 

If you're staring into the mirror and worrying about those acne scars, I used to be like that! I used to hate my skin and couldn't stand looking into the mirror. It was emotionally draining. 
I understand many are eager to clean up the last bit of remains and start anew when you finally stop breaking out. I think after suffering from acne, sufferers often become too obsessed with super amazing skin. I was not sure if it was because I had such bad skin that I craved for perfect skin even more. Are you also infatuated with the idea of having perfect skin? I remember when I had severe acne, all that was in my mind was that, 'I wanted to look normal'. And for the most part, the average person do not have perfect skin. 
It was until when I got older and realize that, no one was really paying attention to my scars. it was just me. But they had left a deep emotional insecurity. I refer the treatment of depressed acne scars as a personal priority. I would like them to improve, but I don't expect them to be fully eliminated. 

My expectations? That the depressed scars to be elevated, and the borders of the box scars softer. Then the skin surface will appear smoother. 

before left smile.jpg

before right closeup.jpg

before right.jpg

MemberMember
(@kristyan)

Posted : 11/03/2015 5:06 pm

May i ask how much % improvement have you got from dermarolling and whatneedle size are you using?

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 11/04/2015 3:15 am

Honestly, are those the scars that you have treated? Most likely 99% of people around here have it worse than that. If you really believe that those tiny scars make your face 'cringe-worthy' you need some help. I would look like a monster if I compared my scars to yours. You collect scars both physically and mentally through out your life, that is what life is all about. If I had those scars I would probably not care enough to do something about them, and I hope I would wear them proudly, because they make you unique. You don't have to look like everyone else to be worthy, the opposite actually.

MemberMember
(@arte90)

Posted : 11/04/2015 2:25 pm

Your scars are so minor; barely noticable. You are beautiful.

MemberMember
(@sts54)

Posted : 11/04/2015 4:44 pm

Hon, your scars are nothing to worry about. Honestly I had to look hard. and you don't have any pigmentation. Nothing a little pore filler can't hide. Your a beautiful girl and I know we all want perfect skin. Yours Is dam close.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 11/04/2015 9:47 pm

I'd pay good money to have your skin. Dermaflage would work pretty well on these minor scars. When I first ordered it, I thought it looked obvious, but it's really all about the technique. Your scars are so minor that I think there's more risk of making things worse with treatment.

MemberMember
(@cindity)

Posted : 11/06/2015 3:45 am

I understand where most of you guys are coming from. I'm no longer obsessed with the scars, I acknowledge the fact that most people wouldn't have realized their existence unless I pointed it out. They have been a part of my teenage, and a unique part of my complexion. I would however be thrilled if there areany obvious improvement.
I've only started looking at scar treatments because of the improving technology and decreasing cost. The venus viva that I had ( a doctor treatment) was offered to me at less than $100, surely that would do no harm. And at home dermarolling costs less than $20.
It is often upsetting that a harmless skin imperfection can affect the mental health of many. When acne hit in my teenage, I was so ashamed to even look at the mirror, my friends laughed at me, strangers avoided me, and I would get so self-conscious in the lift or places where I'm in close proximity with people. Those weren't good memories, but I believe that they playyed a part in shaping me into the person I am today.The problem is often not with the skin but with the head. I also wish to contribute to the community who have bad scarring by offering a documentation of scar morphology.

May i ask how much % improvement have you got from dermarolling and whatneedle size are you using?

I have done around 6 treatments, 4-6 weeks apart, coupled withoccasionalsuctioning. I use a 1.5mm roller and a 2mm stamp. And topically apply Vitamin C and retinA onalternatenights for a week afterwards.The boxcar scars didn't respond too well to it, while the icepicks are wider but shallower. I would rate the improvement less than 10%. I've read that a combination of treatments such as RF, laser, needling is often required so I've tried the Venus Viva (a RF technology) whilecontinuingthe rolling.

MemberMember
(@cindity)

Posted : 11/06/2015 10:20 pm

It has been 3 months post treatment and here are my results.  There seems to be some elevation on the boxcar scars, however the borders are not quite smoothed out yet. I'm satisfied. The Venus Viva nanofractional Radio Frequency is good for general complexion. My skin was noticeably smoother. I didn't expect too much from just one session, especially for scar treatment. 5-6 treatments spaced a month apart was recommended for me. 
In the meantime, I will continue skin needling, spaced a month apart to seek maximum improvements. 

venus viva results.jpg

MemberMember
(@tryinghardtogetridofacnescars)

Posted : 11/12/2017 6:47 pm

I can not efford laser treatment or dermarolling. :(Can anyone please tell me natural ways to get rid of deep scne scars?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 11/13/2017 9:40 am

14 hours ago, TryingHardToGetRidOfAcneScars said:

I can not efford laser treatment or dermarolling. :(Can anyone please tell me natural ways to get rid of deep scne scars?

Please make your own post explaing to me the scars, and I need a pic closeup of just your scars. You may private message me them.

There are options, but cannot help without info.

BA

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 10/08/2018 9:39 am

You have nothing to worry about, I have about 20 the same scars you have under your right eye on the forehead only.