Notifications
Clear all

How long to regulate hormones naturally?

MemberMember
(@kdc7)

Posted : 11/01/2015 9:18 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new here and very frustrated with my acne as I'm sure all of you are as well. I stopped taking birth control after ten years (I'm in my mid twenties) and three months later, all hell broke loose on my face... I tried to wait it out, but it continued on getting worse. I decided to go back on the pill 8 months after going off. I've been back on for 4 months but my skin still looks horrible. I don't know what to do.

I recently started a low GI diet this past week, cut all gluten and all dairy as well. I've been drinking green tea and lemon water too... In addition, I've been taking a multivitamin, inositol, and cinammon. I realize if I had food allergies, that diet changes would work right away, but does anyone know how long it takes to regulate hormones naturally?

I went on antibiotics (Doxycyclene) for a month but it didn't do anything. I know my acne is hormonal and I'm pretty sure I have PCOS, but the problem is, when I came off of birth control the first time, I lost SO MUCH hair from hormone fluctuations and because of it, I don't want to try Spironolactone or Accutane as hair loss can be a side effect of both... my hair is just now starting to get better after 6 months of extreme loss and I really can't risk going through that again as it put me in a deep depression thinking I'd go bald...

So basically, I guess what I'm asking is, how long should I give diet and exercise and supplements before I try something new? I don't know how long it takes for lifestyle changes to balance hormones and thus lessen my acne if its going to. I'm willing to try almost anything naturally or topically for as long as it takes but it'd be nice if I knew it was normal to still be breaking out after a week of changes. If so, how long should I noticenew breakouts before it settles? What have been your experiences? Please respond! I'm looking for as many answers as possible. Thank you =)

MemberMember
(@kdc7)

Posted : 11/02/2015 11:58 pm

You all are so helpful! =)

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 11/03/2015 5:23 pm

Antibiotics will do absolutely nothing as you may have noticed because the acne's pathology isn't coming from a bacterial overgrowth. Also, it's bad practice to over use antibiotics when you are in doubt. That is exactly how we created antibiotic resistant trains of P. Acnes bacterium.

So you are guessing you have PCOS, but you haven't had any routine blood work providing you with hormone panels? It's never advised to try to do self-diagnostic tactics especially when we are concerning ourselves with the realm of endocrinological dysfunctions. If it's a disruption in the steroidal androgen/oestrogen balance e.g endocrine homeostasis, then it could be a rather arduous journey. Sometimes fully regaining control and properly restarting the feedback loop with of endocrine system can take 4-6 weeks. Also, if you don't have bloodwork to differentiate where the disruption is occuring on what portion of the axial communication then it's kind of like shooting at a target in the dark.

If you lost hair it could be attributed to hyperandrogenism like elevated dihydrotestosterone (DHT) who is commonly responsible for androgen-mediated alopecia. Oestrogenic disruptions, SHBG, albumin, transcortin dysfunctions... There is so much to take into consideration.

MemberMember
(@moon)

Posted : 11/13/2015 7:32 am

Hey, guess you did not have hormornal/acne problems before the pill? :/ 
the pill can really mess up hormones but im pretty sure, if u did not have the problems before the pill, hormones will balance ifself with the lifestyle attemps :) good luck