Notifications
Clear all

Those who believe their acne is caused by stress, have you found a solution?

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 11/01/2015 2:41 am

Besides the obvious stop stressing (it's not that easy).

I'm 30 and my face is MUCH better than it was in the past (which I'm very thankful for), but I can get some nasty breakouts on my chin and mouth during times when I'm stressing, such as when a big event is coming up. It's weird...I'll start thinking/worrying that I'm going to get a breakout and then I do. I'm pretty sure just the fact that I'm thinking I WILL get a breakout is the exact thing that causes me to breakout, since the mind is a powerful thing. When I'm not even thinking or worrying about my skin, it's perfectly clear.

To be clear, I have the same exact diet and same exact routine during times of perfectly clear skin and breakouts, so I'm pretty sure it's the stress/worrying that causes it. My routine is...nothing, essentially caveman regimen, which is the best thing I've ever done for my skin.

Do you guys take any supplements that help with stress? What other things do you do? I just started taking up meditation.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 11/01/2015 8:51 am

Stress definately contributes to mine.

i haven't found a total cure, but distraction helps a lot! I can get quite OCD so I stare in the mirror constantly when I get a new spot, so when that happens I always turn on my video games and just play and play!

also I was prescribed xanax for when my anxiety is super high and omg... It works so so well!

MemberMember
(@fiaf)

Posted : 11/01/2015 10:49 am

I think it does affect my acne but I can't be certain. It's all about keeping a positive mindset no matter what. Rather than negative thoughts. I think like enjoying that delicious cup of coffee and not obsessing over that pimple. Unfortunately I do get obsessive negative thoughts a lot. Before I know it, it takes over. It's all in our heads, really. It's in our control. We can stop it. Actually last week I did this and my skin was great! But I stopped this week and I got a breakout.

MemberMember
(@wizard17)

Posted : 11/01/2015 9:42 pm

Stress triggers my acne as well. I've noticed that when I'm happy and positive my face gets better. However, as what you have said it's not that easy. I'm really a short-tempered person and I have no patience at all. I want things to be done as soon as possible. So I really get frustrated when I see my face in the mirror without any improvement at all. But on the other hand I really think that "IT'S ALL IN THE MIND". To prevent stress I would usually watch movies or anything that would keep my attention away from my face. It's also a good thing that you started meditation. It will really help in calming your mind and spirit. Also, get enough sleep because lack of sleep leads to stress as well. And lastly get a hobby where you can focus your energy and time with whenever you feel stressed. I have found exercising to help me a lot. Hope this helps! :D

MemberMember
(@thenatural)

Posted : 11/01/2015 11:59 pm

Exercising daily helps me reduce stress. I used to be strung out and uncomfortable, but now I'm very calm since I relieve tension through daily exercise. Also, think positively about the thing that's stressing you helps.