Notifications
Clear all

dermabrasion

MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 10/31/2015 7:39 am

What do you guys think of doing dermabrasion after subcision and fat transfer ? I just want to get rid of my shallow acne scar and also for the pigmentation ?

Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 10/31/2015 3:10 pm

Best wishes@Moh.Ali!I'm also doing dermabrasion in the future after subcision (and TCA cross, peels and microneedling). I don't trust lasers so this is the route I'm taking. Please keep us posted! There are some questions on Real Self and reviews. http://www.realself.com/question/30436-doctors-push-patients-dermabrasion-deep-acne-scars-method-deep-acne-scar

http://www.realself.com/Dermabrasion/reviews

I'm nervous because it can be risky but I also have hope that it's the best decision for my acne scars. Following the aftercare instructions is really important for optimal healing.

MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 10/31/2015 3:26 pm

Also, if you recently had any excisions dermabrasion will help blend the new scar. http://www.realself.com/question/california-ca-dermaroller-surgical-scars

MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/01/2015 6:25 am

Also, if you recently had any excisions dermabrasion will help blend the new scar. http://www.realself.com/question/california-ca-dermaroller-surgical-scars

do you think dermabrasion with get rid of the scar hyperpigmentation?

MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 11/01/2015 3:08 pm

Wish I knew! I don't have enough experience to answer that question. I think dermabrasion causes new redness/hyperpigmentation that slowly fades with time. It does the heavy lifting and resurfaces the skin. Once that's accomplished perhaps you could look into light treatments or topicals that reduce redness as the final step?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 11/01/2015 4:02 pm

I love how honest and knowledgablethat doctor is

Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/01/2015 10:40 pm

Wish I knew! I don't have enough experience to answer that question. I think dermabrasion causes new redness/hyperpigmentation that slowly fades with time. It does the heavy lifting and resurfaces the skin. Once that's accomplished perhaps you could look into light treatments or topicals that reduce redness as the final step?

my doc told me the reasons why he is doing dermabrasion . 1 ) somth the skin . 2 ) better texture . 3 ) even the skin tone . 4 ) take out the superficial scar and make them hard to see. 4 ) improve the discoloration . And when I asked him a bout the risk. He said if this treatment done by un experience doc that will be risky . He will give me Retain A and some creams to start use it after dermabrasion . He promise me that after my dermabrasion which is my my second treatment ( first one was subcision and fat transfer ) will be at least 50 percent improvment. He said this what I can grantee it will be more but not less . He said dermabrasion way much better than any chemical peel or any laser .

tomwaits and Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 11/01/2015 11:03 pm

Sounds like you're in safe hands and your doctor has a great deal of knowledge and experience. Keep us posted! :) I have a lot of hope in dermabrasion as well. I only did one laser treatment but there were zero improvements. My Dad actually had dermabrasion back in the day when he was young for acne scars and I don't see a single scar on his face now. I would never have known he suffered from severe acne. Crazy! I can only dream of achieving similar results. I'm not sure if it will be possible for me but I try to focus on being happy with improvement.

MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/01/2015 11:11 pm

Sounds like you're in safe hands and your doctor has a great deal of knowledge and experience. Keep us posted! :) I have a lot of hope in dermabrasion as well. I only did one laser treatment but there were zero improvements. My Dad actually had dermabrasion back in the day when he was young for acne scars and I don't see a single scar on his face now. I would never have known he suffered from severe acne. Crazy! I can only dream of achieving similar results. I'm not sure if it will be possible for me but I try to focus on being happy with improvement.

Dear friend . My doc told me a lot of doc try to sell the laser idea for a lot of people . Because they make so much money form the laser . He was doing acne scar treatment for 10 years . And he said the best treatment to go with . Subcision and fat transfear and excusion at the first step. To make all the scar superficial . And the dermabrasion to smooth the scar more and make them hard to see . But do not keep reading in this website because you will be hopeless . Because a lot of negative feedback here . Anyone had a good results you will not find them here . 

MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 11/01/2015 11:23 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing the info! Healing is a long process after dermabrasion but I'm confident and hope you'll see great results! Hope you report back and don't disappear completely when you do. ;) 

MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/01/2015 11:29 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing the info! Healing is a long process after dermabrasion but I'm confident and hope you'll see great results! Hope you report back and don't disappear completely when you do. ;) 

The most important thing the first 10 days . After this your skin will be red or pink for 4 to 6 weeks sometime to 12 weeks . Just make sure that you keep using the sun screen at least one year after dermabrasion . My doc said he is only worry a bout the first 7 days . 

Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/02/2015 7:40 am

The most important thing the first 10 days . After this your skin will be red or pink for 4 to 6 weeks sometime to 12 weeks . Just make sure that you keep using the sun screen at least one year after dermabrasion . My doc said he is only worry a bout the first 7 days . 

when you going to do your dermabrasion ?

MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 11/02/2015 11:16 pm

Unfortunately it won't be for a while @Moh.Ali but I'll let everyone know. I'm working on subcision, TCA Cross, microneedling and possibly an excision or two first so dermabrasion (resurfacing) will be one of the final steps for me. I know I'm going to do it when the time comes. Hopefully sooner rather than later but one step at a time. :) That's very exciting that yours will be soon! 

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 11/03/2015 4:28 pm

Dear friend . My doc told me a lot of doc try to sell the laser idea for a lot of people . Because they make so much money form the laser . He was doing acne scar treatment for 10 years . And he said the best treatment to go with . Subcision and fat transfear and excusion at the first step. To make all the scar superficial . And the dermabrasion to smooth the scar more and make them hard to see . But do not keep reading in this website because you will be hopeless . Because a lot of negative feedback here . Anyone had a good results you will not find them here . 

I support this 100%.

Dermabrasion works....I've had spot dermabrasion only to my left cheek where my scars were the most pronounced.  Dermabrasion works especially well to soften up the jagged edges of some scars and improves the texture so that it blends better with the surrounding skin.  It does NOT work so well when you have very, very deep scars.  Deep scars must be filled or subcised so that they are elevated to the level of the surrounding skin,  THEN, you can resurface the skin to blend and refine the texture.  This is why I believe so many people have been disappointed with dermabrasion, because they don't understand that dermabrasion is basically like sanding down a piece of wood.   If the scars are too deep, there's no way you can take away enough good skin to reach the level of the deepest scars.   This is also why I think a lot of people have been damaged by dermabrasion, because their doctors did not do any of the "lifting" procedures like fillers and subcision beforehand, but instead just aggressively sand down good skin.  

That said, this procedure is very aggressive and can go very wrong in less talented hands.  Be prepared for a lengthy recovery.  It's too bad this procedure has fallen out of favor because everyone has gotten on the laser bandwagon.  I think lasers and dermabrasion both have a place, and one may be better than the other for certain situations.

MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 11/03/2015 8:57 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on dermabrasion,@blahblah82.I'm pretty new to this forum but I've learned a ton from your informative posts.

MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/03/2015 11:13 pm

I support this 100%.

Dermabrasion works....I've had spot dermabrasion only to my left cheek where my scars were the most pronounced.  Dermabrasion works especially well to soften up the jagged edges of some scars and improves the texture so that it blends better with the surrounding skin.  It does NOT work so well when you have very, very deep scars.  Deep scars must be filled or subcised so that they are elevated to the level of the surrounding skin,  THEN, you can resurface the skin to blend and refine the texture.  This is why I believe so many people have been disappointed with dermabrasion, because they don't understand that dermabrasion is basically like sanding down a piece of wood.   If the scars are too deep, there's no way you can take away enough good skin to reach the level of the deepest scars.   This is also why I think a lot of people have been damaged by dermabrasion, because their doctors did not do any of the "lifting" procedures like fillers and subcision beforehand, but instead just aggressively sand down good skin.  

That said, this procedure is very aggressive and can go very wrong in less talented hands.  Be prepared for a lengthy recovery.  It's too bad this procedure has fallen out of favor because everyone has gotten on the 

thank you for your information . However , I already did subcision and fat transfer and all my scars are really superficial now . Is it working for hyperpigmntation too ?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 11/03/2015 11:58 pm

I want to reiterate again that dermabrasion is a VERY aggressive procedure, and not appropriate for all scars. If you are not mentally prepared for the recovery, don't do it. It is risky as well, and if you search this forum you will find stories of outright disasters on here.

If your scars are superficial now, you could certainly consider dermabrasion, but that's something you have to decide. If anything dermabrasion will give you BAD hyperpigmentation like any resurfacing procedure. That will last for many months and fade over time. Some people unfortunately are treated too aggressively and get HYPO-pigmentation, or white skin that has lost it's pigment. Hyperpigmentation is temporary, hypopigmentation is almost always permanent.

It's also not a miracle treatment. My worst scars are much better, but unfortunately still there. The most you can hope for is improvement, not a cure.

tomwaits and Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/04/2015 12:06 am

I have a hyperpigmntation . And I want to do it because my doctor told me is the best options to smooth out your scar and to get all your hyperpigmntation out. He is so talent . He is been doing this for almost 10 years . He said I can do laser and I can do chemical peel. But the best options for you dermabrasion . So, how long it will take to recover from dermabrasion ? Like when I can go back to my normal activity ? Work ?

I want to reiterate again that dermabrasion is a VERY aggressive procedure, and not appropriate for all scars. If you are not mentally prepared for the recovery, don't do it. It is risky as well, and if you search this forum you will find stories of outright disasters on here.

If your scars are superficial now, you could certainly consider dermabrasion, but that's something you have to decide. If anything dermabrasion will give you BAD hyperpigmentation like any resurfacing procedure. That will last for many months and fade over time. Some people unfortunately are treated too aggressively and get HYPO-pigmentation, or white skin that has lost it's pigment. Hyperpigmentation is temporary, hypopigmentation is almost always permanent.

It's also not a miracle treatment. My worst scars are much better, but unfortunately still there. The most you can hope for is improvement, not a cure.

Dear friend . I have hyperpigmntation because of the scar . What make my scar noticeable now is the hyperpigmntation . So my docto said best options for you is dermabrasion to take all these hyperpigmntation out and improve your texture and even your skin tone . He said I can do laser and chemical peel but it will take so many treatment and it might not be work. He is so talented with dermabrasion . He is been doing this for almost 10 years . But how long will take to recover from dermabrasion .like when you can go to normal activity ? Work ?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 11/04/2015 12:39 am

It seems like you're more worried about your hyperpigmentation than your shallow scars. I'd start off with light chemical peels and microneedling.At home, tbh..

MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/04/2015 12:53 am

It seems like you're more worried about your hyperpigmentation than your shallow scars. I'd start off with light chemical peels and microneedling.At home, tbh..

i told him a bout all of these . But he said he not supporting any of these for my skin. He said with dermabrasion we can smooth out that scar more and some scar can go away .Also better texture . Also. To get out all these hyperpigmntation .

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 11/04/2015 5:10 am

Maybe I'm wrong on this (Could of swore I read about this many years ago just before Lasers came out for Acne Scars), But isn't Dermabrasion meant only for White/ Light skin People and any person who is dark skin complexion or like myself who is olive skin Hispanic can't get this done since it is extremely risky for Hypopigmentation unlike for Caucasian People. Many Dermatologists back then (this was back in the 1990's) reading from public library it was not recommended if you have tan/Dark/Black skin. Anyone care to share if is safe now and the technology of Dermabrasion is safer now for People of color? I'm assuming no, since most Derms don't seem to bother with this practice any longer?

MemberMember
(@moh-ali)

Posted : 11/04/2015 5:46 am

Maybe I'm wrong on this (Could of swore I read about this many years ago just before Lasers came out for Acne Scars), But isn't Dermabrasion meant only for White/ Light skin People and any person who is dark skin complexion or like myself who is olive skin Hispanic can't get this done since it is extremely risky for Hypopigmentation unlike for Caucasian People. Many Dermatologists back then (this was back in the 1990's) reading from public library it was not recommended if you have tan/Dark/Black skin. Anyone care to share if is safe now and the technology of Dermabrasion is safer now for People of color? I'm assuming no, since most Derms don't seem to bother with this practice any longer?

It is safe if it's done with experience hands . You will have hypopigmentation if the surgon go to very deep. Just like co2 laser or strong chemical peel. So you must do it with professional surgon who done this many times .It's very effective treatment for superficial scar and hyperpigmntation if it's done correctly .

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 11/04/2015 5:54 am

Thanks Moh.Ali. Some People though have very sensitive skin even with the best hands of a Plastic Surgeon and complications can happen. Just curious who is your Doctor and where are you getting this done at?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 11/04/2015 10:01 pm

I'm Asian with fair skin. You are right, dermabrasion is usually not recommended for ethnic skin, but it can be done with an experienced surgeon. Unfortunately, some of the disaster stories on this forum were from ethnic (mostly Asian) patients who were treated too aggressively.

This Indian guy on Realself.com did it several times, and he seems to be happy with his improvement.

http://www.realself.com/review/pune-india-dermabrasion-indian-skin

MemberMember
(@khtd)

Posted : 01/23/2016 10:58 pm

Do you know of an experience surgeon for dermabrasion in NY or NJ?