Notifications
Clear all

Coming Off Antibiotics

MemberMember
(@natsu)

Posted : 10/30/2015 7:24 pm

Hi,

At the moment I'm on lymecycline (408mg) per day for 2 months (and then one month break followed by a further course of 3 months). I'm just curious about how to come off the antibiotics? A lot of sources say that stopping the tablet over night will cause it to come back quite severely. As well as this, I've heard that the antibiotic will destroy the probiotics in my digestive system. Is it possible to counteract this by taking probiotic foods such as yogurt drinks (yakult etc)? Would it be a bad idea to consume this while on treatment as it will make the antibiotic less effective? Should I consider consuming probiotic products in the month break, and then after my 3 months of treatment?

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 10/31/2015 10:50 am

Coming off oral antibiotics abruptly is better than tapering off. It may seem like a terrible breakout overnight but a rebound is inevitable, tapering just increases antibiotic resistance.
Taking a one month break seems strange, maybe you should ask your doctor for an explanation, or get a second opinion.
Yes, your bodies healthy bacteria will change. Hopefully you haven't already had diarrhea or a yeast infection which are both common side effects. I say yes to yogurt, and other fermented foods. Over the counter probiotics are for the most part unregulated. So there's no guarantee that they are safe or effective. If you're doctor doesn't recommend it then I wouldn't bother.
i hope that helps

Natsu liked
MemberMember
(@coolcrack)

Posted : 11/23/2015 2:59 am

Hey.. What's ur age? And ur male or female? I have taken anti biotics for a very long time.. I had acne since 17 yes. Now I'm 26.. I'll get addicted to anti biotics.. It will never cure u.. It bad for the body.. I had digestive problems for a long time.. I stopped it and now it's fine.. U have acne on body or on face only? I can help u treat acne.. I have taken almost all the medicines for acne..

MemberMember
(@natsu)

Posted : 12/30/2015 3:38 pm

On 23/11/2015, 0722, coolcrack said:

Hey.. What's ur age? And ur male or female? I have taken anti biotics for a very long time.. I had acne since 17 yes. Now I'm 26.. I'll get addicted to anti biotics.. It will never cure u.. It bad for the body.. I had digestive problems for a long time.. I stopped it and now it's fine.. U have acne on body or on face only? I can help u treat acne.. I have taken almost all the medicines for acne..

18, male. I'm considering going on accutane as my options are exhausted.