Notifications
Clear all

How to start a good diet for Acne?

MemberMember
(@wizard17)

Posted : 10/30/2015 7:54 am

Hi! Today I think I have found out what has been causing my acne all these time, aside from stress it is mostly my diet.

I've noticed that sugary foods aggravate my acne. For example yesterday, I ate Nutella (I just can't stop myself) and now I have two big zits on my face and it hurts. This has happened several times already. Cakes, Sundae, Pasta, any sugary food breaks me out.

So today, I have decided to pursue a good and consistent diet, hopefully get rid of my acne. But how? I really don't know where to start. What other foods should I avoid aside from sugar?  And what are the right foods to eat? I get confused about all the things/ terms I usually read in these section, maybe because I have not heard of them yet.I have limited knowledge when it comes to holistic skin care. I'm asian so I cannot avoid white rice :/ I also go to school ( no healthy foods to eat :/). What are the things I can do to improve my diet? And also long will it take before I can see results? :D Really need your help. Thanks!! :)

MemberMember
(@ajm00001)

Posted : 10/30/2015 12:43 pm

How do you know it is sugar? Milk, cocoa, hazelnuts, and soy are all know to cause acne.

The main ingredients of Nutella are sugar and palm oil,[9] followed by hazelnut, cocoa solids, and skimmed milk. In the United States, Nutella contains soy products. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutella

MemberMember
(@ajm00001)

Posted : 10/31/2015 2:33 pm

FYI: I have made this comment in another post.

Do what competent Doctors and Dermatologists have recommended for decades. (I am an old guy).

Pick a food you want to test.
Do not eat that food for two or three weeks.
Then eat a lot of the food you are testing for four days.

You will know if that food causes acne.

This is a slow test, as you can only test one item at a time.

Further, there are many ignorant statements made on this site that a person sensitive to a food (eggs, nuts, fish etc.) should try to add these foods back into the diet, because these foods "are good for you". You can try this nonsense, and it will fail every time. You will learn to never eat any food that causes you acne.

PS: I have no idea where drinking more water will affect acne comes from. There is no science to support this belief. If you get thirsty you will drink. The likelihood you or anyone else is short water is virtually zero. Nobody has ever cured acne by drinking more water.

Further, the previous post says watermelon and cucumbers are good because they are cold? Why? There is no science to support this belief. Watermelon is very bad for me.

MemberMember
(@wizard17)

Posted : 11/01/2015 9:05 pm

Thank you for both of your help. Just what I needed!! :D 

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 11/01/2015 11:52 pm

I think the best place to start is to try to eat "whole foods." So foods that are as close as possible to how they are in nature and avoid processed foods. So more vege/fruit, whole grains, meats etc but less things like cakes and chips that have been created with oils, chemicals and sugar. This is a good way for anyone to eat for their overall health. 

Of course there are so many diet rcommendations out there it gets confusing - low carb/high carb, low fat/high fat, paleo, vegan, raw foods ... And some people may have allergies or sensitivities to certain foods. 

So yes general advice would be to avoid the junk food and anything with high sugar or oils. Many people also report benefits from eliminating dairy and gluten so that might be your next step. 

After that its up to you. If you're lucky these changes may be enough for you. Some people find a diet lower in grains like paleo helps them while others swear by raw veganism. Everyones bodies are different so i think you have to find what works for you.

MemberMember
(@wizard17)

Posted : 11/02/2015 5:17 am

I think the best place to start is to try to eat "whole foods." So foods that are as close as possible to how they are in nature and avoid processed foods. So more vege/fruit, whole grains, meats etc but less things like cakes and chips that have been created with oils, chemicals and sugar. This is a good way for anyone to eat for their overall health. 

Of course there are so many diet rcommendations out there it gets confusing - low carb/high carb, low fat/high fat, paleo, vegan, raw foods ... And some people may have allergies or sensitivities to certain foods. 

So yes general advice would be to avoid the junk food and anything with high sugar or oils. Many people also report benefits from eliminating dairy and gluten so that might be your next step. 

After that its up to you. If you're lucky these changes may be enough for you. Some people find a diet lower in grains like paleo helps them while others swear by raw veganism. Everyones bodies are different so i think you have to find what works for you.

Thank you very much for your help!!:D