Notifications
Clear all

New Acne Regimen - Vitamin B5, Saw Palmetto, Salicylic acid...

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 10/29/2015 5:06 pm

Hello again Acne.org community!

I has been over a year since I have checked back to this site and I am happy to come back to such a wonderful supportive community of people. I have had a lot of life changing events occur within the last two years and my life will be very hectic for last least the next 3 years. My skin has also changed and I can't say it has all been for the better. Here is list all things I have done for acne, along with what worked and what did absolutely nothing.

- Benzoyl Peroxide (acne.org) - The regimen has worked great in the past, however my skin cannot tolerate BP anymore. My skin hasbecome very sensitive and I canonly use it in small amounts. I've also tried 5% and 10% BP but they were much to harsh on my skin. I felt like I broke out more secondary to the increased irritation.
- Thyme Tincture - Did not work
- Turmeric (ingested) - Did not work
- Turmeric (as a mask) - Did not work for acne, but has somewhat helped hyperpigmentation and redness
- Accutane (claravis) - I had clear skin after month 3, however my acne returned, albeit less severe, one month after my coarse.
- Glycolic acid peels - I can't say that I has helped my acne but it did improve skin texture and hyperpigmentation
- Salicylic acid peels (20% & 30%) - Has helped considerably. I think it's been the most effective peel for my acne. I was clear for a couple months using weekly 20% salicylic acid peels, however mild acne returned. I don't know if the skin get accustomed to the peels or whether it's a good idea to increased the frequency of peels.
- Salicylic Acid daily 2% exfoliant (paulas choice) - I believe it has helped my skin become more resistant to closed pores. Texture has improved.
- Lactic acid - I am using this more so for hyperpigmentation. I have only done one peel because my skin has been extra sensitive lately and I don't want to freak it out even more.
- Indian Astek Healing Clay - Have only used a couple times but really seems to pull out excess oil and gunk from the skin.
- Tee Trea Oil - I like this oil. I think it helps kill active acne quicker but I don't think if it helps prevent future breakouts.
- Witch Hazel - I use it as an astringent toner. I do like it, but don't think it will solve troubled acne pone skin. It done remove all traces of dirt and oil after washing your face so that is a plus.
- Dermarolling - This is for my acne scars and hyperpigmentation. I have done two full treatments and plan on doing many more. I believe it has helped my scars but it's still too early to tell since results are cumulative.
Vitamin C Serum - Still too early to tell. This is not necessarily for acne treatment or prevention but for post acne spots and collagen production.
Diet - I have tried removing dairy, gluten, meats eat for four months but found no improvements in my acne.
Birth control - Took for 6 months, no improvements.
B5 vitamin - Only took for couple days- did not give a full trial.

I am sure there is more to add, but that is just off the top of my head.

Today I am starting my own routine in attempts to tackle acne from all angles. Here it goes:"

- Salicylic acid 20% weekly peel - To help clean out my pores and excess sebum. Found to be the best peel for acne prone skin.
- Salicylic acid daily 2% exfoliant - I am using the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant by Paulas Choice. From the website: "There is a great deal of research indicating that BHA (salicylic acid) increases collagen production and drastically smooths the surface of skin. Additionally, BHA has antibacterial properties that can immediately stop blemish-causing bacteria. It willrapidly exfoliates both the skin's surface and inside the pore, reshaping the pore lining, unclogging pores and improving vitally important skin cell renewal. The result is a dramatic improvement in the skin's appearance, feel and function, which leads to healthier skin and a noticeable improvement in wrinkles."
- Indian Astek Healing Clay (3-4 times a week) - There has been lots of support all over the internet for the benefits of this clay and acne. From the website:The unique structure of the molecules in Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay carry a negative electron charge. This comes from the valance electron count from the specific minerals found in Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay.When a spectographic analysis is done on Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, almost every mineral found on Earth is present. Aztec Secret is volcanic Ash from when the Earth was formed It is the foam residue left as the planet cooled The foam residue formed a pure clay vein layered between white sand, near one of the lowest parts of planet Earth.When a facial or clay poultice is applied to the skin it forms a negative charge. Poisons and toxins stored in the epidermis have a positive charge - Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay lifts the pimple and blackheads into the clay bed to cause accelerated healing and nourishment to the skin with over 50 minerals.100% NATURAL.
- Vitamin B5 - I will take 500mg of pantothenic acid twice a day. Lots of internet resources out there reporting the benefits of B5 supplementation for acne.
- Saw Palmetto - will take twice daily.Researchers believe saw palmetto directly alters testosterone levels in your body by inhibiting the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, or DHT. For the hormonal side of acne.
- Wash face with African black soap - Cleanserswith sodiumlaurel sulfate arehighlycomedogenicand break me out.

- Tee Tea oil and acne.org as spot treatment.
- DIY vitamin C serum for preventing hyperpigmentation.
- Diet - Will attempt to drink lots of water and eat as healthy as possible. But I will not limitsto gluten free ordaily free.
- Physical sunscreen -With only zinc oxide, with no added synthetic chemicals.

I am starting everything today so wish me luck! I will update as I continue this new regimen.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/29/2015 6:10 pm

Yay! Great to hear from you. So sorry that you are still dealing with this but at least your acne is not as severe. Your plan sounds solid so I will be praying that you have success. Stay strong sistah!

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 10/29/2015 6:28 pm

Yay!  Great to hear from you.  So sorry that you are still dealing with this but at least your acne is not as severe.  Your plan sounds solid so I will be praying that you have success.  Stay strong sistah!

Thank you :) Good to hear from you as well!

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/02/2015 12:19 am

Day 4 Update:

So far so good. No new breakouts, but still to early to celebrate obviously. I need at least 2-3 months of consistent results to be completely happy with my regimen. I hope everyone is doing well.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/03/2015 9:13 pm

Day 6 update:

My skin is DRY! Ah. I have so many flakes by the end of the day. I know it is from the B5, saw palmetto, and clay masks. I hope my skin adjusts really quick because I can't stand the uncomfortable stiff feeling. It makes me want to scratch my face off lol. At least I haven't broken out yet. I have some old blackheads that I am waiting to "purge". By next week, I hope to find a moisturizing oil for help with my symptoms. I use shea butter at night, but it is just too thick to use during the day.

Also, I ordered hydroquonine 4% from alldaychemist and my package came last night! I know this sounds absolutely crazy but my red/brown spots have already started to disappear. I will update you all on this as well. 

Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion on acne friendly oils I am up for suggestions. So far everyone is talking about hemp seed oil...

Goodnight.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/05/2015 12:14 am

Day 7 Update:

I broke out in about 4 very tiny pimples. Not sure if it's related to the hydroquinone or whether my skin is beginning to purge. My skin is still very dry and uncomfortable, so I will look into an extremely moisturizing product like hyaluronic acid.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/05/2015 11:21 am

Day 8 Update: I did a chemical peel last night using salicylic acid 20%, glycolic acid 40%, and lactic acid (60%?) because my face was looking dull. This morning my face looks much better but I still have 2-3 healing baby zits on my jaw line. I plan on using the clay mask tonight, I just hope it's not going to suck out every ounce of moisture. My brown/red spots seem to be fading at a pretty rapid rate. I am very happy about this because I've had the same hyperpigmentation for the last 3+years, so its been quite annoying. I hope to be clear of all hyperpigmentation in give or take three months...

Anyway, I've got lots of errands to run today as well as leg day at the gym. Can we all agree that this is by far the worst day of the week lol!? 

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/06/2015 12:19 am

So it is still day 8. I am having an issue. I am breaking out in these tiny tiny tiny pimples all over my face. I haven't had breakouts on the forehead for 3-4 years and I am now having a break out there as well. The only new product I am using is the hydroquonine. I am upset because it is doing a fantastic job fading my spots but it seems to cause breakouts. I hate my skin. Story of my life.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/08/2015 10:46 pm

Day 11 update. I have since stopped using the hydroquonine and I am waiting my breakout to go away. Nothing new to report.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/14/2015 3:29 am

Day 16 Update: Things seem to be looking good. I have a blackhead that turned into a small pimple yesterday, but it is already drying out. Otherwise, things are good. I started using organic pure organ oil as a moisturizer today and I just hope that I don't break out from it.

I forgot to take saw palmetto today. Darn. That's what I hate about taking supplements.

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/18/2015 4:53 pm

Day 20 Update: I have been acne free for the last several days. I am so happy that my skin is staying clear without the intense drying effects of benzoyl peroxide. I will do another salicylic acid peel tonight!

MemberMember
(@pro_vocation)

Posted : 11/18/2015 9:20 pm

Glad to see that you are taking the proper time to test your products out. Just be careful not to over strip (dehydrate) your skin as it can cause more acne to occur. Our bodies don't naturally produce water only oil. So if your skin is tight, flaky, it panics and does the only thing it can...produce more oil. Salicylic acid and tea tree oil all the way! Don't forget to rebalance the skins PH with a toner and to put hydration back into the skin with an oil free moisturizer. You might really like trying a micellar cleansing water. It takes oils off without compromising the skins PH. (shouldn't leave you dry) Perhaps something like this:
http://www.en.laroche-posay.ca/products-treatments/Physiological-cleansers/Physiological-Cleansing-Micellar-Foaming-Water-p8598.aspx

Good luck with everything and thank you for the updates on the products used as well.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/20/2015 6:02 pm

pro-vocation - thank so so much for your post. I really appreciate it!And I have actually been looking into micellerwater, but I just have not been able to find anything with ingredients that are worth putting on my face. I am also moving slow to add new products to my skin care routine. Nothing I use at this time seems to be clogging my pores thank goodness.

Day 22 Update: My skin feels amazing. I am loving my skin care routine. I was using the clay mask every 2-3 days, but now use it once a week since it is pretty drying, but I can tell the improvement in my skin with each mask. I have never been into masks because I could not see how leaving something on my skin for a small amount of time could do anything, but darn was I wrong. This clay mask is amazing. Have any of you tried it before?

thereisalwayshope

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/23/2015 7:03 pm

Day 25 Update: Skin is staying totally clear which is amazing.I am so happy with theresults of my experiment for far. Before trying saw palmetto I didn't think it was possible to have clear skin without Benzoyl Peroxide or Accutane. Ifthings stay clear for 2-3 months, I will be a firm believer. I have the clay mask on right now and I can feel it pulling out the impurities in my skin. This mask is amazing. I use it once or week or if I neglected my skin.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 11/27/2015 2:46 am

Day 29 Update: I am going to starting updating once a week since my updates seems to be quite repetitive. My skin is staying clear and I am happy. I will let you know when things changefor the better or worse. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Happy Thanksgiving!

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 12/08/2015 8:19 pm

I had a tiny breakout that quickly went away last week. I have been using his regimen for a little over 5 weeks and I say that I see a 90% improvement of my skin. I hope to continue the amazing results!

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 12/18/2015 1:42 pm

Still staying consistent with my skin routine and I am still clear. I love it.