Notifications
Clear all

Convinced my acne is a diet issue

MemberMember
(@disco_spiderr)

Posted : 10/29/2015 1:44 pm

Hi there, I've been lurking these forums for a little while now and I see a lot of people claiming a change of diet was the one cure for their acne.What information I can find about the diet/acne connection is limited and inconclusive and it makes me skeptical. I want totry it but I don't know where to start. What I do know is that I get enough sleep (most of the time, but I'm working on it), I wash and moisturize morning and night and exfoliate every few days (I might stop, it may be irritating my skin instead of helping it). I also never used to have oily skin, but in the last year it has gotten oily. I have fairly mild to moderate acne, depending on how much sleep I get, etc.I've looked into the paleo diet, but since I have decided to go back to school while working part time, I can't afford an expensive organic, whole foods diet. Unless it was done on a very tight budget. Any advice would be great, and I'd. I'll be glad to answer any questions. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 10/29/2015 2:53 pm

Hi there, I've been lurking these forums for a little while now and I see a lot of people claiming a change of diet was the one cure for their acne. What information I can find about the diet/acne connection is limited and inconclusive and it makes me skeptical. I want to try it but I don't know where to start. What I do know is that I get enough sleep (most of the time, but I'm working on it), I wash and moisturize morning and night and exfoliate every few days (I might stop, it may be irritating my skin instead of helping it). I also never used to have oily skin, but in the last year it has gotten oily. I have fairly mild to moderate acne, depending on how much sleep I get, etc. I've looked into the paleo diet, but since I have decided to go back to school while working part time,  I can't afford an expensive organic, whole foods diet. Unless it was done on a very tight budget. Any advice would be great, and I'd. I'll be glad to answer any questions. Thanks.

My belief is that acne on the outside is a sign of an imbalance on the inside of your body. Eating 'healthy' less processed foods usually does help, however there isnt really one magic diet that fixes everyone. 

Paleo style diet did give me some improvement in my acne but hasnt been a cure (i had to restrict fruit also). Also the longer i've been on it i have felt my energy has decreased. I'm still experimenting to find what works best for me. I've recently been trying to reduce meat consumption and eat way more raw salads/vege which i think has helped my energy.

Yes often eating healthier does cost more. To me i'd rather spend my money on good wholesome food then other things people spend on - think alcohol, cigarettes, brand name clothes/shoes etc. Maybe you have to cut back in other areas? Try to find local markets - their vege are often alot cheaper then supermarkets.

Anyway i'm a big believer in eating healthy and working on internal imbalances to fix acne. Some people are lucky and small changes are enough to clear them. I still have some more experimenting to do :) 
Good luck with your diet.

MemberMember
(@ajm00001)

Posted : 10/29/2015 2:58 pm

FYI: I have made this comment in another post.

Do what competent Doctors and Dermatologists have recommended for decades. (I am an old guy).

Pick a food you want to test.
Do not eat that food for two or three weeks.
Then eat a lot of the food you are testing for four days.

You will know if that food causes acne.

This is a slow test, as you can only test one item at a time.

Further, there are many ignorant statements made on this site that a person sensitive to a food (eggs, nuts, fish etc.) should try to add these foods back into the diet, because these foods "are good for you". You can try this nonsense, and it will fail every time. You will learn to never eat any food that causes you acne.

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 10/29/2015 8:41 pm

Hi there, I've been lurking these forums for a little while now and I see a lot of people claiming a change of diet was the one cure for their acne.What information I can find about the diet/acne connection is limited and inconclusive and it makes me skeptical. I want totry it but I don't know where to start. What I do know is that I get enough sleep (most of the time, but I'm working on it), I wash and moisturize morning and night and exfoliate every few days (I might stop, it may be irritating my skin instead of helping it). I also never used to have oily skin, but in the last year it has gotten oily. I have fairly mild to moderate acne, depending on how much sleep I get, etc.I've looked into the paleo diet, but since I have decided to go back to school while working part time, I can't afford an expensive organic, whole foods diet. Unless it was done on a very tight budget. Any advice would be great, and I'd. I'll be glad to answer any questions. Thanks.

So what exactly is your current dietary habit? You rambled on for a whole paragraph without letting us in on what you eat daily while claiming that you believe diet is the underlying cause of your acne.

Do you eat, for examples; fried food, dairy products, processed food, red meat, etc? Or for that matter, do you even consume fruits and vegetables on a daily basis? These will probably give us a good assessment of your current diet.

MemberMember
(@cheech61)

Posted : 10/29/2015 11:00 pm

I'd recommend giving up all things dairy (milk products) and any processed food that has dairy (e.g. Whey). This might work for you. It did for me. I was off and on antibiotics for 35 years. It always came back. Without dairy in my diet, I no longer require any medication. Read about it on the internet.