Notifications
Clear all

New regimen seems to be working..

MemberMember
(@trishc)

Posted : 10/28/2015 7:24 am

So i have started a new regimen which seems to be working in reducing my acne (which is mostly just clogged pores) i am not going to tell you what i am using (and taking) until i am sure that it is actually these things for sure that are helping. My original post mentioned that i was trialing Vitamin D however that really wasn't working out so i stopped taking it. If my current regimen keeps working i will post back within a few days so stay tuned. 

I have taken before and after pics of my new regimen.. i have posted it as a comment so scroll down this page and it should be there..

:) 

My original post:

I was a acne.org user a few years ago with the same problem i am posting today. However in 2014 i somehow cured myself and i honestly do not know how! I remember i cured myself so good that no matter what i put on my skin i never got a single pimple or clogged pore or anything. I wasn't even using any fancy products. Well i dont know why and i dont know how but for the past 2 months the same skin issues started again. I didn't change anything with my products either. The only thing i remember was that i took a monthly Vitamin D regularly and also probiotics. I stopped both those medications because i literally got lazy and forgot to take them plus i was broke lol! my skincare routine usually just consisted of washing my face with the Benzac Daily Facial Liquid Cleanser (with a brush). So basically without going into too much detail the reason why i am starting this topic is to trial a Vitamin D3 and see if it makes any difference with my skin. This time though i am not going to buy a monthly Vitamin D3 i am just going to get the over the counter Vitamin D3. I will also start on my probiotics again. I am posting my before photos to this post and then report back possibly after a week with results. so stay tuned :D

IMG-20151028-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20151028-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20151028-WA0021.jpg

MemberMember
(@henrylahore)

Posted : 10/30/2015 8:52 am

There are >12,000 pages on ACNE.ORG which mention vitamin D

Did you know?
  • Vitamin D was voted best acne treatment Feb 2011 http://www.acne.org
  • TopicalVitamin D appears help acne (oil, cream, or paste made from capsules)
  • Putting vitamin D on an affected area for a few days often clears up acne
  • Anacne clinical trialwith Vitamin D intervention is underway(More acne info below)

Far more informationat [Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@trishc)

Posted : 11/04/2015 11:11 am

On 10/30/2015 at 7:52 PM, HenryLahore said:

There are >12,000 pages on ACNE.ORG which mention vitamin D

Did you know?
  • Vitamin D was voted best acne treatment Feb 2011  http://www.acne.org
  • Topical Vitamin D appears help acne (oil, cream, or paste made from capsules)
  • Putting vitamin D on an affected area for a few days often clears up acne
  • An acne clinical trial with Vitamin D intervention is underway   (More acne info below)

Far more information at 

[Edited link out]

Thank you for the info :) 

So these are my 1 week results ever since my first post. I have been taking a 1000 IU vitamin D daily. I have not been washing my face very often and i just use rubbing alcohol with a cotton pad to clean my skin and follow up with the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo cream. I have also started drinking more water. To be honest my skin looks worse than my before pics. I cant see much of an improvement :( Do you guys have any idea what this type of acne is and how i can treat it?

IMG-20151105-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20151105-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20151105-WA0003.jpg

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 11/07/2015 12:51 pm

Hi there!

I'm also taking vitamin D for about 1 month now and, to be honest, I didn't see any relevant result so far on my skin -- although I have more energy, which is awesome.
Have you tried to know the real cause of your acne? Mine is totally hormonal (I have PCOS), so it doesn't matter what supplements I would take and the diets I would make, my skin won't get completely clear until I balance them.

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 11/08/2015 2:36 pm

Everything I tried was just a temporary fix, to be honest. :/ I found out my new diet is helping my skin, though:I cut out dairy and soy anddecreased the consumption of red meat to one day a week. Have to say my skin improved about 60-70%, but I still break out like hell on the week before my period.
My doctor decided to put me on spironolactone (25 mg daily) and my skin is doing great, but, in the other hand, my menses are screwed (I'm getting two periods every month).

As for the supplements, vitamin D didn't do anything good or bad to my skin so far, but I have deficiency, so I'm taking it anyway (I feel more energized, which is a bonus). Vitamin A improved my acne for one or two weeks, then stopped working. Vitamin E turned my face into an oily mess, so it's a big no-no to me.Vitamin C seems to make my skin less red and inflamed though, so I take it every once in a while -- I love the smooth feeling my skin gets the day after taking it and my pimples go away faster too. Also, I tried Vitex for about one year and didn't get much relevant results. As for zinc supplement, I didn't try it yet.

All those things, as I said, didn't cure my acne and my PCOS -- just reduced them. I still have an excess of DHEA and androgens in my blood and that's why my acne doesn't go away. I really don't know what to do anymore. I don't have any vitamin deficiency (except for vitamin D), my diet is really good (I only eat whole foods and low carb, no sugar, fried foods, gluten or lactose... so, clearly, it's not a diet problem), I'm not overweight, I exercise and I don't have any food allergies.
The only thing that helped a lot wasspironolactone, which I'm taking for about two months now, but the irregular periods are driving me crazy, lol. I'm really considering going back to birth control, as it was the only thing that balanced my hormones and cleared my skin permanently.

It might be good if you take a blood test to know if you have PCOS, since hormonal acne is a pretty difficult thing to resolve naturally (at least in my case, of course).
How about you? Are you trying supplements? Diet?

Chloe123 and SammyAcF liked
MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 11/08/2015 4:36 pm

Everything I tried was just a temporary fix, to be honest. :/ I found out my new diet is helping my skin, though: I cut out dairy and soy and decreased the consumption of red meat to one day a week. Have to say my skin improved about 60-70%, but I still break out like hell on the week before my period.
My doctor decided to put me on spironolactone (25 mg daily) and my skin is doing great, but, in the other hand, my menses are screwed (I'm getting two periods every month).

As for the supplements, vitamin D didn't do anything good or bad to my skin so far, but I have deficiency, so I'm taking it anyway (I feel more energized, which is a bonus). Vitamin A improved my acne for one or two weeks, then stopped working. Vitamin E turned my face into an oily mess, so it's a big no-no to me. Vitamin C seems to make my skin less red and inflamed though, so I take it every once in a while -- I love the smooth feeling my skin gets the day after taking it and my pimples go away faster too. Also, I tried Vitex for about one year and didn't get much relevant results. As for zinc supplement, I didn't try it yet.

All those things, as I said, didn't cure my acne and my PCOS -- just reduced them. I still have an excess of DHEA and androgens in my blood and that's why my acne doesn't go away. I really don't know what to do anymore. I don't have any vitamin deficiency (except for vitamin D), my diet is really good (I only eat whole foods and low carb, no sugar, fried foods, gluten or lactose... so, clearly, it's not a diet problem), I'm not overweight, I exercise and I don't have any food allergies.
The only thing that helped a lot was spironolactone, which I'm taking for about two months now, but the irregular periods are driving me crazy, lol. I'm really considering going back to birth control, as it was the only thing that balanced my hormones and cleared my skin permanently.

It might be good if you take a blood test to know if you have PCOS, since hormonal acne is a pretty difficult thing to resolve naturally (at least in my case, of course). 
How about you? Are you trying supplements? Diet?

woah!! Thanks for that, really imformative. I hope it works out in the end for you. How old are you? I've heard some people say their acne goes away after a while and their body balances their hormones out. I'm 18 and I'm taking vitamin c, d, fish oil & iron supplements (I have anemia) and I also drink 2 cups of green tea a day. I don't take any dairy, and I'm really healthy. However, I do eat rice everyday because my moms Asian, but I have a tolerance to it and have been eating it ever since birth hahah. My period is in 2 weeks and I usually break out in 4 or 5 days. So hopefully the supplements reduce the severity. Ugh this sucks, I wish my acne was as easy as eating healthy and eliminating dairy :( 

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 11/08/2015 8:38 pm

I don't know if hormones balance out naturally after a while. In my case, as I have PCOS, it didn't work that way, unfortunately. :( I was diagnosed when I was 15 and, since that, I've been taking the pill (I'm 24). My acne cleared the time I was on it and I thought my PCOS was cured, so I decided to went off the pill two years ago. Well, my acne returned with a vengeance, my hair started to fall, period became very irregular. I thought my body would adjust over time, so I tried a lot of natural options, but it's been two years already with no relevant improvements. It's really sad, because I don't want to take birth controls for the rest of my life, but I'm really considering going back to it because I'm really tired about this acne drama, lol.

As you're younger than me, your body might adjust over time, especially if you don't have PCOS -- but, if your acne persists, it's a good idea to check your hormone levels with a doctor. Don't worry about rice, I also eat it a lot and I don't think it's the cause of our acne, lol. Just stick to your supplements, especially vitamin C, they will hopefully make your acne less severe! ;D

Are you using topicals on your face?

Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 11/09/2015 12:43 am

I don't know if hormones balance out naturally after a while. In my case, as I have PCOS, it didn't work that way, unfortunately. :( I was diagnosed when I was 15 and, since that, I've been taking the pill (I'm 24). My acne cleared the time I was on it and I thought my PCOS was cured, so I decided to went off the pill two years ago. Well, my acne returned with a vengeance, my hair started to fall, period became very irregular. I thought my body would adjust over time, so I tried a lot of natural options, but it's been two years already with no relevant improvements. It's really sad, because I don't want to take birth controls for the rest of my life, but I'm really considering going back to it because I'm really tired about this acne drama, lol.

As you're younger than me, your body might adjust over time, especially if you don't have PCOS -- but, if your acne persists, it's a good idea to check your hormone levels with a doctor. Don't worry about rice, I also eat it a lot and I don't think it's the cause of our acne, lol. Just stick to your supplements, especially vitamin C, they will hopefully make your acne less severe! ;D

Thanks so much for the advice! Feels so good to talk to someone similar to me :) I tried differin + doxy for 3 months and it made my acne go from mild to moderate. 

katsc liked
MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 11/09/2015 10:05 pm

Thanks so much for the advice! Feels so good to talk to someone similar to me :) I tried differin + doxy for 3 months and it made my acne go from mild to moderate. 

Yay! It's good to talk to someone similar to me as well. Makes me feel I'm not alone. :)

Have you tried azelaic acid? I think it's the most amazing cream I tried so far (and I tried a looot of them). Maybe it will work for you too.

MemberMember
(@trishc)

Posted : 11/12/2015 12:03 pm

Hi there!

I'm also taking vitamin D for about 1 month now and, to be honest, I didn't see any relevant result so far on my skin -- although I have more energy, which is awesome.
Have you tried to know the real cause of your acne? Mine is totally hormonal (I have PCOS), so it doesn't matter what supplements I would take and the diets I would make, my skin won't get completely clear until I balance them.

i stopped taking the vitamin D. I started taking something else and i feel like maybe it's working. I don't want to name what it is as of yet because i really want to try it out for a few more days. I am in a real rush to get my skin clear because my wedding is in 7 weeks and i want my skin to look nice. I am not sure whether my acne is hormonal i have a feeling it has to do with digestive issues. I have had digestive issues for a while now. Currently my forehead is getting clearer with what i am taking but my cheeks are still the same. I'll update everything in a few days. Fingers crossed this regimen works!!

MemberMember
(@trishc)

Posted : 11/13/2015 3:45 am

So if you read the original post, i was previously trialing out vitamin D for my acne but it wasn't really working so i stopped taking it and i started something else and these are my before and after pics with my new regimen..

progress1.jpg

progress3.jpg

progress2.jpg

Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@trishc)

Posted : 11/13/2015 7:37 am

It looks really good in a short amount of time! Keep us updated :)

thank you! I really hope this works out for me fingers crossed. And yes i will definitely keep you all updated :)