Notifications
Clear all

Just started acne meds, looking for any advice and personal stories of sucess

MemberMember
(@newmemberr)

Posted : 10/27/2015 3:38 pm

I am 17 almost 18 and before this school year started I have never had acne, the most i would have is the occasional pimple and maybe like three breakouts in my whole life. also i have never broken out on my forehead and would rarely get any pimples there, so when i started breaking out all over my forehead i was so confused and frustrated, i always took my clear skin for granted and i have never felt so insecure with myself because of all this acne. i would consider my acne mild but the worst part about my acne is i mostly get pustules that are painful and very noticeable. After trying a bunch of store bought products to get rid of my acne that didnt work i finally went to the dermatologist and she prescribed me doxycycline 150 mg with 0.025 retin-a and Clindamycin, im really excited for my skin to hopefully be clear again and i just took my first doxycycline pill i was wondering if you all had good experiences with any of this products and any tips for using them like what moisturizer to use, and how long it took for you to notice a difference in your face.

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 10/28/2015 9:12 am

Doxycycline is a good drug, I never got much benefit from clindamycin. Lately doctors have been getting away from concomitant use of topical and oral antibiotics. I really like retin-a but make sure you only use a pea sized amount (at night)for your entire face and wait a half hour after washing before you apply it. It will cause irritation if you use it to soon. I would moisturize in the morning and make sure to use sunscreen. Doxycycline and Retin-a both increase sun sensitivity.
Good luck