Notifications
Clear all

Who has eliminated grains and have seen positive results?

MemberMember
(@baze15)

Posted : 10/26/2015 8:58 pm

I have read several articles that eliminating grains is the answer to curing acne. This is mainly because of how it increases IGF-1 and insulin...which increases sebum.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just limit high glycemic foods (which increase insulin)?

I have eliminated dairy, refined sugars, gluten, and soy. I don't think I could survive eliminating other grains (quinoa, millet, oats, etc). These are essential to my diet and getting enough calories.

Anyways, has anyone successfully eliminated their acne by getting rid of grains?

MemberMember
(@technoir)

Posted : 10/29/2015 1:05 pm

Not eliminated my acne, but greatly decreased it.

I've replaced bread and pasta with brown rice and oats. I also stay clear of processed and junk food altogether.

MemberMember
(@baze15)

Posted : 10/29/2015 9:56 pm

Nice! Well brown rice and oats are grains

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/23/2016 3:12 am

On 30/10/2015 at 6:37 PM, Chloe123 said:

My mom is asian so all she makes is rice and i read somewhere that grains causes acne so i stopped eating it for a few months. Acne got a little worse actually so i ate it again.

I eat rice everyday, and if anything i would say it kind of maintains my iron levels and decreases vitamin deficiencies. But i do know it breaks out some of my friends. I feel like if you've had it all your life and you are dependant on it (like me) it shouldnt break you out?

You left out a big part of the equation. Your acne may not have gotten worse due to the elimination of grains. You did not tell us what other foods you were eating (milk, chocolate, burgers, cheese, meat -- are they organic and not hormone-fed?). All these could have contributed to the worsening of your acne.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 02/23/2016 3:46 pm

On 26/10/2015 at 0:58 PM, baze15 said:

I have read several articles that eliminating grains is the answer to curing acne. This is mainly because of how it increases IGF-1 and insulin...which increases sebum.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just limit high glycemic foods (which increase insulin)?

I have eliminated dairy, refined sugars, gluten, and soy. I don't think I could survive eliminating other grains (quinoa, millet, oats, etc). These are essential to my diet and getting enough calories.

Anyways, has anyone successfully eliminated their acne by getting rid of grains?

The whole grains/paleo thing really has me confused. A few years ago i eliminated grains and most high sugar fruit as well - quite low carb - and my skin initially improved alot. However gradually my skin started worsening again and i experienced alot of fatigue, muscle aches, digestive issues etc... I kept thinking i wasnt doing the diet strict enough so cut down more on fruit. Then i wondered if i was eating too many nuts. Basically getting very anxious and upset.
After reading some books i decided to try eating grains again and this time keep fats/animal products low. I have been reading that a high fat diet can actually lead to blood sugar issues and also cause hormonal imbalance. Well i never know what to believe but i definitely feel better eating higher carbs 🙂
So sorry i havent got a definitive answer about grains. I just got sick of eating like that. And without grains i had to increase my meat and fat intake which i didnt like. So while yes it did initially help my skin i dont know how viable it is as a long term solution.

Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/23/2016 11:26 pm

1 hour ago, Chloe123 said:
I dont consume dairy, high carbs, saturated fats etc. I eat very well and i exercise alot too. Its got nothing to do with that. diet had nothing to do with my acne. Its hard for some people to believe, however diet has nothing to do with my acne and also alot of other people.

Exactly how well do you eat? That phrase is highly subjective. There's no way to quantify that unless you give us a breakdown of your typical day's meal. Would you like to do a simple list so that we can look at it?

MemberMember
(@raluca-raluca)

Posted : 02/24/2016 4:25 am

you consult doctor?