Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pord

Please critique my holistic approach.

Diet:

I do my best to follow a paleo template. I am learning more about the glycemic index and I try to eat low-glycemic meals. I avoid sugar, dairy, gluten, and processed food.

For supplements I take: 1.2g of NAC (BulkSupplements), 300mg of Milk Thistle (Jarrow Formulas), 50mg of Zinc Picolinate (NOW), 200mg of Selenium (every other day), B-Complex (TwinLab), Cod Liver Oil (going to switch to Krill oil), Probiotics (Nature's Bounty) 5,000 IU of Vitamin D-3 (NOW). I have considered taking 500mg of time-release B5 and 500mg of B3.

Lifestyle:

I work out about six days a week doing heavy resistance training, calisthenics, sprints, and various forms of low-level aerobic exercise.

I try to get enough sleep every night, but I average six hours of sleep or so. This is one area that I need to improve.

I try to meditate and practice mindfulness at least once a day. This is something new that I have started - so I am still trying to form the habit.

External skincare:

As of 10/20/15 I am only gently washing my face with water. Afterwards I apply a 1:3 ACV (BRAGG) mixture with a cotton pad all over my face. I have high linoleic acid oil (Safflower) on the way which I plan to use as a moisturizer at night.

Other:

I do my best to not irritate my face by touching or picking at it.

Change my pillow case regularly.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions? Am I missing anything?

I use apple cider vinegar too, except I mostly drink it. Have you tried drinking it?

I put it on my face at night (1:1 solution), but I started drinking it more and that has seemed to work even better. Ever since I started drinking 2 cap fulls (1 cap full is 1 teaspoon), twice daily, inflammation has decreased, acne reduced or disappeared, and skin is softer. I searched around and others had cured their acne by drinking it, so I'm trying it for a few months. You can try that, if you haven't.

I use some of the other things you listed, and everything looks good.

Edited by TheNatural

I use apple cider vinegar too, except I mostly drink it. Have you tried drinking it?

I put it on my face at night (1:1 solution), but I started drinking it more and that has seemed to work even better. Ever since I started drinking 2 cap fulls (1 cap full is 1 teaspoon), twice daily, inflammation has decreased, acne reduced or disappeared, and skin is softer. I searched around and others had cured their acne by drinking it, so I'm trying it for a few months. You can try that, if you haven't.

I have have tried drinking it before; my problem is that I was not very consistent.

Is there a certain time you are supposed to drink it?

Edited by Pord

The ACV I dilute as well 1:3. I also use a soap, but you don't have to use a soap if you don't want to. Drinking the ACV didn't do much for me, at least until I quit because and I hated the taste. I put it in salad dressings now but I don't eat it regularly.

Other than that you're doing great things :)

Exercise regularly, drink a lot of *clean* water, eat clean (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats - don't go too crazy counting tho..) and herbal tea and allow yourself as much sleep as your body needs.

I'll elaborate a little bit on the supplements, because that's the area where I had the most trouble and I actually got professional help for it.
Supplements are great, but it is unfortunately proven that taking "mega doses" of different vitamins and minerals doesn't always work and you end up spending a lot of money and effort on eating a bunch of different capsules. Also, unfortunately some if not most of drug-store vitamins are very low quality, even if they say organic or natural or high-potency and stuff like that.
So yeah... I've been there, I thought I had it all figured out, did a bunch of research. And all that happened was I wasted a lot of money and took 8 different pills on different days and at times and... it was a frustrating ineffective mess.

Currently I take 1 multi, 2 fish oil and 1 digestive aid with every meal and that's it. I used to take a B-complex with breakfast, that I don't think I need too much now, but if you take one I wouldn't take additional B5 or B3. You can buy different B-complex based on what you're focusing on like concentration vs energy levels etc (I used to have Rainbow Light).
1: https://www.pureformulas.com/bioglycozyme-forte-90-capsules-by-biotics-research.html This one "multi" is great, it's the one I take, it helps regulate blood sugar levels which is very important. It contains a bunch of the ingredients you take separately so you wouldn't need to like Selenium and Zinc etc.
2: http://www.koshervitamins.com/shop/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Item_ID=4323 this is the fish oil which also contains D3 :)
3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GOOSFG and this is the digestive one. I don't think it's necessary, but since you work out a lot too maybe it would be beneficial. I am almost completely vegan (milk and eggs are my skin's enemy) except for the fish oil so it's important to me to effectively digest the high quality food I eat.

I have have tried drinking it before; my problem is that I was not very consistent.

I'm not sure, but I drink it after lunch and after dinner.

Although, I just googled when to drink it and it says to drink before a meal to prevent insulin and glucose spikes. Since more insulin is produced as a result from consuming a high glycemic index diet or a Western diet, which causes production of sebum and the fatty acids within the sebum is what P acne feeds off of. I assume that's why people say they drink it and never changed their diet. It kind of counterbalances a bad diet, but it sounds like you don't have to worry about that.

I'm not sure, but I drink it after lunch and after dinner.

Although, I just googled when to drink it and it says to drink before a meal to prevent insulin and glucose spikes. Since more insulin is produced as a result from consuming a high glycemic index diet or a Western diet, which causes production of sebum and the fatty acids within the sebum is what P acne feeds off of. I assume that's why people say they drink it and never changed their diet. It kind of counterbalances a bad diet, but it sounds like you don't have to worry about that.

Yeah I was under the impression that you were supposed to drink one tablespoon twice a day before meals.

Edited by Pord

I recently received Pantothenic Acid (B5) 500mg timed release from Puritan's Pride. They seemed to be the best brand and one of the only ones that I could find that offered timed release.

I plan to take anywhere from 500mg to 1g every day for the next couple of months to see if there is any effect.