Notifications
Clear all

Why isn't acne taken seriously?

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 10/26/2015 5:31 am

Acne can have really severe emotional and physical effects on people's lives butit isn't taken seriously. Acne is a medical condition but society seems to regard it as merely a minor annoyance that some people experience as a teenager.
Most other medical conditions are given so much attention. Cancer for example has charities, research and special days dedicated to it - and deservedly so. Even something like obesity receives so much attention - weightloss tv shows, support groups etc.
But acne is always forgotten. It is a condition that i wish was taken more seriously. Then maybe acne sufferers wouldn't feel so alone and like weird freaks who aren't acceptable to society.

fade95 liked
MemberMember
(@soren1997)

Posted : 10/26/2015 7:57 am

Maybe because people who doens't have serve or just acne in general know why people get acne. Some things it's because they live unhealthy etc. They don't understand the real problem and that it is a medical condition :)

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 10/26/2015 8:23 pm

My two cents. Probably because acne isn't life-threatening. That's why the medical world and the general public pay less attention to it than cancer or other chronic illnesses that can and do kill.

In response to what user Skincar3 said above me: "there are thousands of products, brands, regimens out there and even forums/discussion boards, all devoted to acne and similar skin conditions. Therefore I would say it is taken quite seriously."

I believe the reason why these brands take acne 'seriously' is not because they are genuinely concerned about those spots on our face but rather the money they can milk out of this dastardly condition.

MemberMember
(@djian)

Posted : 10/26/2015 11:31 pm

To me, Acne is wayyyyyyyy serious!!!!! All my friends have a zit once in a while and girls always talk about breaking out around that time of the month. They have those conversations right in front of me, but they all have super clear skin and one pimple is bad for them, like its the end of the world. Acne is serious to those who have chronic symptoms of it! My friends understand me since I always talk about my skin! My parents are just like "Its not that bad, we still love you!" So what, acne should be taken seriously, it is ruining my life!!! I feel like if society didn't judge us on how we look, none of us would feel depressed, sad or have low self-esteem issues!!!!! I totally agree with you. Sorry if i ranted too much.....XD

fade95 liked
MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 10/27/2015 11:41 pm

Acne is taken quite seriously, there are tons of prescription products and antibiotics that are available for acne sufferers. There is also roaccutane which is quite an extreme solution to acne if you take into account the possible side effects.

And on top of all this, there are thousands of products, brands, regimens out there and even forums/discussion boards, all devoted to acne and similar skin conditions. Therefore I would say it is taken quite seriously.

There might b lots of products out there but i still dont feel that meansacne is treated as a medical condition - just a cosmetic annoyance.There are thousands of creams to treat wrinkles - even botox and surgery. But i wouldntsay that means wrinkles area serious medical condition.
Acne is seen as less serious then a common cold or a headache.I dont think my boss would be too understanding if i said i needed to call in sick because i'm having a bad pimple outbreak and my face is sore and i feel really depressed. But if i said i had the flu or a headache that would be perfectly fine. Acne itself may notbe life threatening but it could lead to emotional problems, depression, suicide. I don't think most people out there would have considered this. Acne is more then just a bad hair day it is a chronic illness and can have huge impact on some people's lives. Sorry this has just been frustrating me lately!

MemberMember
(@djian)

Posted : 10/28/2015 9:31 am

Its ok, I feel the same way. I always feel like people create not do great quality products to treat acne and most of the time, they probably don't work! And i end up buying jars and bottles for acne. My friends still love me the way I am, but they can't look me in the eyes because they are always looking at my face, same with my teachers! I cry constantly(but only in the shower) because of acne and so many other depressing factors in my life. But I think if I try to stay positive, maybe I'll get over this whole thing? I don't even know any more.... I hope you feel better soon!!! GOOD LUCK! :)