Notifications
Clear all

PLEASE HELP WHAT IS THIS ON MY FACE?? (w/ GROSS PHOTOS)

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 10/25/2015 9:24 pm

I'm unsure as to what is all over my jaw line, and I need your input.
I'm currently using tazorac twice a week (Mondays & Thursdays) but will bumping it up to thrice a week since it doesn't seem to have significant effects aside from flaky skin on my cysts. I've only been using tazorac for 11 days so far --- so I've only used it thrice now --- but I'm concerned that my skin is not reacting well to tazorac. I feel very frustrated and done with my life right now. Anyway, here is my recent acne story.

I've kept my skin clear for the past year and half by going to an aesthetician who did thorough extractions and salicylic acid peels. I also used benzoyl peroxide and a clindamycin toner to help keep the acne at bay. However, around May of this year, I noticed I was breaking out a lot more than usual as evidenced by the photo below. I was scared it was going to turn into a huge breakout and tried another aesthetician. BIG MISTAKE.

The spa I went to used supposedly organic products and after two months, all hell broke loose. I got these tiny, clogged pores that had never been an issue to me prior to going to this spa.

This was how my skin turned out afterwards. UGH.

Now, I've been using tazorac for 11 days and my skin looks increasingly hideous. I'm not sure if this is the normal initial breakout or my skin is just reacting negatively to the product. I feel like the mineral oil may be breaking me out.

I feel so frustrated. I'd rather have a zits than deal with the one I have now.

Additionally, I'm terrified that I might be experiencing gram negative folliculitis as the patch of cysts on my jaw line is looking more and more like this photo of someone who has documented and diagnosed gram-negative folliculitis. I'm thinking of seeing my dermatologist tomorrow and asking her opinion about it. I'll also get cortisone shots and probably extractions.

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 10/25/2015 10:13 pm

Whatever that spa allegedly claims to be organic doesn't mean that it's safe. At first glance I would say that you're having an allergic reaction.
Tazorac is a safe and effective treatment but you should definitely see your doctor (a physician) and get straightened out as soon as possible. I'm not saying run to the emergency room, but the sooner the better. Btw do not choose alternative methods over prescription drugs. With time and consistent use, they will work.
Good luck

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 10/25/2015 10:20 pm

Thanks acnehardcase!

I've already gone to a dermatologist. She's the one who prescribed me with Tazorac and doxycycline, which is what I'm currently using. I've expressed my concerns about it being an allergic reaction, but she had no comment about that I'm considering going to an allergy doctor and I will be calling nearby doctors in the area to check. I just really want clear skin again, and this is frustrating me so much.

I'm also considering filing a case against the spa, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing so.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 10/26/2015 6:40 am

I'm so sorry! Ugh.. I could kill the people that own these 'spa's'.. I've never trusted facials.

I think for now you should trust your derm and stick with it, and if not, push for further medication such as accutane. What is your current routine?

If it is an allergic reaction to the facial, then it should die down as you're obviously not going anymore, but to help speed it up, a simple OTC antihistamine might help ease some of the symptoms and swelling.

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 10/26/2015 8:09 am

Hi Lore91! 

I definitely know what you feel. What's worse they tried to pass the blame off to me, saying that something must have been wrong with my body to react that badly to their products, considering they have satisfied clientele for over 15 years.

I've gone off their products for about a month now but it's basically the same, if not worse because of the tazorac. Please see my signature for my regimen :) 

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 10/28/2015 11:45 am

Bumpity bumpity BUMP.

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/04/2015 4:22 pm

HELP?

MemberMember
(@robswife2)

Posted : 11/05/2015 3:28 pm

Looks like an allergic reaction OR an infection! Maybe both  
I'm an RN, so I've seen a good bit of allergic reactions. Whatever that "Spa" used on your face was not hypoallergenic. Plus, the utensils they used could have been unsterile. You seriously may have both things going on.

I would go to the drugstore TODAY and get yourself some benadryl cream, as well as taking some benadryl liquid or pills by mouth, then make an appointment with a good Dermatologist tomorrow!!  Put nothing else on that poor face of yours :(

Good luck!
Amy

TheeGrace liked
MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/09/2015 11:02 am

Looks like an allergic reaction OR an infection! Maybe both  
I'm an RN, so I've seen a good bit of allergic reactions. Whatever that "Spa" used on your face was not hypoallergenic. Plus, the utensils they used could have been unsterile. You seriously may have both things going on.

I would go to the drugstore TODAY and get yourself some benadryl cream, as well as taking some benadryl liquid or pills by mouth, then make an appointment with a good Dermatologist tomorrow!!  Put nothing else on that poor face of yours :(

Good luck!
Amy

I went to the dermatologist and they just told me it was severe acne. They gave me tazorac and oral doxycycline. I'm undergoing a really horrendous initial breakout right now.

MemberMember
(@theegrace)

Posted : 11/09/2015 12:26 pm

I think whatever they used was contaminated and you should actually report them to The state board. I'm a cosmetologist and you can get them evaluated, in trouble, by time! Their utensils were probably not cleaned properly or at all.

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/13/2015 12:51 pm

I think whatever they used was contaminated and you should actually report them to The state board. I'm a cosmetologist and you can get them evaluated, in trouble, by time! Their utensils were probably not cleaned properly or at all.

They didn't really do "extractions" per se. No instruments were used on me aside from products. They actually have REALLY good reviews on yelp, and it was annoying that I was the only one who seemed to have gotten a bad result.

MemberMember
(@theegrace)

Posted : 11/15/2015 3:26 am

Well something there was contaminated or your allergic to something possibly.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 11/15/2015 7:28 pm

I honestly would not apply any tazorac on your face..im so against Accutane but at this point I think that's what u need....I would leave your face alone in the process and maybe only use cold water and some aloe vera

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/16/2015 3:27 pm

On Ž11Ž/Ž15Ž/Ž2015Ž Ž12ŽŽ23Ž, TheeGrace said:

Well something there was contaminated or your allergic to something possibly.

Yea, an allergy is more like it. :(
It's incredibly frustrating.

19 hours ago, Sankofa1 said:

I honestly would not apply any tazorac on your face..im so against Accutane but at this point I think that's what u need....I would leave your face alone in the process and maybe only use cold water and some aloe vera

My derm said to continue using tazorac so I'm using it.

I'm actually going to go on Accutane after 3-4 months on tazorac (if it doesn't work for me). Honestly, Accutane scares me and I really hope tazorac works. :( 

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 11/16/2015 7:09 pm

Please please dont be scared of accutane! It's very overhyped as this awful drug. I had no side effects whatsoever aside from dry skin :) i think it would really help you a lot

MemberMember
(@fchawk)

Posted : 11/17/2015 7:55 am

I believe much of acne is due to dry skin, so having facial cleansers and such actually encourages your body to produce more oil, swimming and sport (and the subsequent hot showers) also strips your the oil on your face, as well as your shoulders and back, thus encouraging more oil production and subsequently acne.
Thus, after showers/before bed/in the morning, try moisturizing some of your problem areas (I use olive oil), and see how much that helps. Topical Vitamin A can also help according to this study, if I apply it is usually with the oil
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/132142

All the best, hope it improves

12 hours ago, Lore91 said:

Please please dont be scared of accutane! It's very overhyped as this awful drug. I had no side effects whatsoever aside from dry skin :) i think it would really help you a lot

Haha, I went on it and regret it, though that is mainly because my acne wasn't that severe (as in 95th percentile bad, not 98+th percentile bad, in which case it may have been worth it, even though it seems I got 98th percentile bad side effects :(
Basically there can be long term side effects, but for the vast majority it seems like the drug was a miracle drug, maybe 3% of people who's long term effects outweigh the clear face/body that came with it

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/17/2015 6:55 pm

23 hours ago, Lore91 said:

I understand where you're coming from but I really hope tazorac works firsthand. To be fair, I already see a tiny bit of improvement so I guess it's getting better. I can't wait to get relatively okay-ish skin. I just want to be able to go out and not be stared at.

11 hours ago, Fchawk said:

I believe much of acne is due to dry skin, so having facial cleansers and such actually encourages your body to produce more oil, swimming and sport (and the subsequent hot showers) also strips your the oil on your face, as well as your shoulders and back, thus encouraging more oil production and subsequently acne.
Thus, after showers/before bed/in the morning, try moisturizing some of your problem areas (I use olive oil), and see how much that helps. Topical Vitamin A can also help according to this study, if I apply it is usually with the oil
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/132142

All the best, hope it improves

Haha, I went on it and regret it, though that is mainly because my acne wasn't that severe (as in 95th percentile bad, not 98+th percentile bad, in which case it may have been worth it, even though it seems I got 98th percentile bad side effects :(
Basically there can be long term side effects, but for the vast majority it seems like the drug was a miracle drug, maybe 3% of people who's long term effects outweigh the clear face/body that came with it

Thank you! I currently use Cerave cream for my jawline and forehead and use Cerave lotion for my cheeks where there are no inflammatory zits.

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/18/2015 11:25 am

8 hours ago, EmilyDent said:

My acne sister. I really hope your acne clears. Good luck honey 

Thank you so much! :) 

EmilyDent liked
MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 11/21/2015 12:19 am

I think you're reacting to something.

MemberMember
(@foreverufriend)

Posted : 11/21/2015 3:18 am

I'm so sorry for you. Let me tell you Tazorac is a really good cream. Unfortunately like any other retinoid cream the results take long to appear. There's also bigger strenght and creams than Tazorac if you want to know. Just ask your doctor.

MemberMember
(@worriedscared1)

Posted : 11/21/2015 9:40 am

See a second Dermatologist. Make sure they are highly regarded. You need to minimise damage and be on the best road to recovery.

Many wishes and hope you get ok!

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 11/22/2015 6:35 am

To me it looks like a very bad acne breakout rather than an allergic reaction. Looks like a whole cluster of nasty pustules and maybe some cysts. The amount of stress that number of lesions would put on the skin is quite immense, so it's no surprise that it's a bit crusty and red.

Whatever it is, it's going to be nigh on impossible for you to prove what's at fault. I wouldn't waste your money on legal action, but obviously that's up to you.

I think the best advice is to simply see a second dermatologist. I hope your skin improves soon.

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/22/2015 3:58 pm

Hi guys! It's been almost a month since I last posted this and that particular area on my face with cysts and pustules is nowsubstantially clear aside from the hyperpigmentation marks.

My derm (she is highly regarded and has been doing skin for a long time)had mentioned that my skin is very sensitive to tazorac and that I would have gotten the exact reaction, if not worse, on accutane. Anyway,I'm still only using taztwice a week. In 1-2 months, if my skin doesn't clear up as it should, I'll be put on accutane (which I'd really rather not undergo tbh).

I'm currently breaking out all over my forehead and my lower face with the same cysts and pustules. I think it's the tazorac bringing out all the papules I had into either comedones, pustules or cysts. Either way, areas of my face that are clear no longer have papules and are smooth and soft. I'm excited for the next 1-2 months on tazorac, and I really hope I don't have to go on accutane.

You can all check my blog for more current photos, if you want.

fchawk liked
MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/22/2015 4:25 pm

P.S. I've been reading up on acne conglobata and I had a sinking feeling that I might have that.

What do you guys think?

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 12/09/2015 6:40 pm

You need to focus on HEALING! You'r thoughts create everything!! That's how the universe ebbs and flows.

If you're thinking about what you don't want, that's what you will get.

Take 5 minutes out of everyday to close your eyes and feel GOOD about your body healing, this is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Thoughts and feelings become reality. Much love!!

I would recommend taking accutane.Have you considered it? It's the best thing I ever did for myself.

From personal experience, it's amazing. Do not use ANY chemical creams on your face.just wash your face with a very gentle cleanser and moisturizer, take accutane for six months and you will be FREE OF it.You'll get through this!

Positive mindset changes your life.And accutane is a life-saver.Nothing in this lifetime is permanent.

You're going to grow and learn so much about the world and yourself through this struggle.

I did. Acne was the worst and best thing that ever happened to me. It changed me for the better as a person.

I would recommend watching the movie "The Secret" on netflix.

XX!!!! It gets better babe