Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick8ouch

Caveman Regimen and Exfoliation

I finished accutane in early April (in two weeks it will be 7 months after my course). Also, it's been 8 months into my water only regimen. The only thing I do is using shaving cream when I'm shaving. Recently, I bought an exfoliator (Neutrogena) because I was having some problems with dead skin and whiteheads (2). I never ever get pimples since I've finished accutane. BUT, I've bought the cleanser in the same line as the exfoliator from Neutrogena, because I still have red marks and since the cleanser and exfoliator have glycolic and salycilic acid in them, I thought it would fade them. The first time I used the cleanser, very small pimples started to form on my cheeks.

The best way for my skin to stay clear is the water regimen. Cleansers are too harsh for my skin and it reacts badly. The only thing I will be using is an exfoliator once a week because the dead skin plogs my pores and creates small annoying whiteheads.

I would like to know what is the best way to exfoliate your face without being too harsh?

I tried the water regimen, and it helped more than anything else. My acne is hormonal though, hence i still got the monthly pimples.

My skin is sensitive and breaks out with anything. I have found oatmeal to be a good mask/exfoliator. I use it with a little lemon and yogurt. However, it is too gentle and doesnt exfoliate well.

I find green tea bags are also gentle. I've heard good things about using honey and taking a washcloth and manually exfoliating. (honey gave me hives. do a patch test)

If all of this is still too harsh, just use water and a wash cloth. And only do it once a week, i know some people say you need to exfoliate 3 times a week blah blah, but once a week or once every two weeks is fine!

Hope that helps. Let me know what you decide! :) 

Thanks for your reply! I'm still going to use the water regimen/shaving cream. Also I'm going to add the washcloth once a week just to exfoliate any dead skin cells! I hope that my red marks are going to fade soon because they've been there for a really long time. Some people say that the red marks take 6-12 months after accutane to start fading, but I'm pretty sure they were there before starting accutane. There's not much I can do to fade them except for waiting... Unfortunately, patience is not a big vertue of mine.
Anyway, have a great day and thanks again for taking the time to reply! :)