Sebum Inhibiting Dr...

Notifications
Clear all

Sebum Inhibiting Drugs Currently in Clinical Trials

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 10/24/2015 1:56 pm

At the moment, I have found two drugs that are currently being developed to combat excessive sebum production. I have only found accutane to address oily skin, but it has serious side effects (long and short term) and cannot be used beyond for extended periods of time (1 + years).

The first drug is about to enter Phase III of clinical trials. per Wikipedia, a drug enters phase III because it is presumed to have some effect. The drug is called SB204 by Novan Therapeutics. It is a tropical. They intend to begin Phase III in the first quarter of 2016. Then after that there is the New Drug Application and then finally Phase IV where anyone can get the prescription from their doctor. These phases typically take years, but I feel like it will not take that long given the fact that the drug does not have serious side effects and it is only attempting to inhibit excess sebum production which is relatively benign compared to other drugs out that treat more serious conditions and consequently have more serious side effects.

Second drug is called DRM01 by Demira. The drug begain Phase 2b clinicals in April 2015 and will present the results in the first half of 2016. So it is a bit behind in public availability compared to Nova's SB204.

Overall, we're probably a couple years away from a drug that we all can take to address our oily skin. Luckily the side effects are insignificant so we can take it for long periods of time and hopefully in a decade or two they will develop a drug that is not purely maintenance but stops the problem.

[Edited link out]
http://dermira.com/pipeline/drm01/

Ben100604 liked
MemberMember
(@oilyyy)

Posted : 11/06/2015 9:13 am

Thanks for that info Vermilion!
I will definitely be following the development of these drugs.
I'm using low dose accutane to control my oily skin at the moment. (I'm still oily but it's more manageable, and I refuse to take a higher dose)

This is another new drug that is worth following, MTC896:
http://www.mimetica.com.au/#!mtc896/cmql

Vermilion liked
MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 01/07/2016 12:36 pm

On 11/6/2015, 615, Oilyyy said:

Thanks for that info Vermilion!
I will definitely be following the development of these drugs.
I'm using low dose accutane to control my oily skin at the moment. (I'm still oily but it's more manageable, and I refuse to take a higher dose)

This is another new drug that is worth following, MTC896:
http://www.mimetica.com.au/#!mtc896/cmql

Nice find, Oilyyy. Glad to see there is more options out there. Looks like they are in phase 2 of clinical trials.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 01/19/2016 12:32 am

Definitely interesting and I'll see if I can find more restrictive information through my university's Pubmed server. It's not too uncommon to find some collective summaries about active and on-going clinical trials. I'm having a hunch it's pharmacodynamic's are heavily involved with our endocrinological activities specifically androgens. Exclusion parameters for participants involved no previous use of corticosteroids, isoforms of retinol, spironolcatone or another antiandrogen, and even made the generalized statement of...

"Treatment with a new hormonal therapy or dose change to existing hormonal therapy within 12 weeks prior to Baseline. Dose and frequency of use of any hormonal therapy started more than 12 weeks prior to Baseline must remain unchanged throughout the study. Hormonal therapies include, but are not limited to, estrogenic and progestational agents such as birth control pills."

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 04/03/2016 2:50 am

Update:

So DRM01 phase 2b results will be provided in the second quarter of 2016.

SB204 phase 3 has just placed their first patient and will have results in the second half of 2017.

[Edited link out]
[Edited link out]