Notifications
Clear all

Combining Tazorac with Benzoyl Peroxide

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 10/24/2015 12:53 am

I have been using tazorac for a week now (I use it twice a week - Monday & Thursdays for the first month). I am already experiencing initial breakouts (as you can see on the photos in my blog but I'm getting very frustrated and I just really want to get clear skin again.

I want to add Benzoyl peroxide & mandelic acid into my regimen though I would like to add BP first and add mandelic only when I'm clear and just trying to diminish my scars, Would this be safe to do so? How should I go about doing it?

**My skin is used to chemical peels as I used to do them monthly.
***Prior to using tazorac, I underwent three weekly salicylic acid peels for three weeks, which probably explains why my initial breakouts were immediate and I can already see gunk coming out of my pores.

MemberMember
(@courtikins)

Posted : 10/24/2015 8:10 pm

Well, I have been cleansing with the Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask, which contains 3.5% BP, every morning as of late. When I remember to use it as a mask twice per week also, it seems to work much better. I use the.1% Tazorac Cream.

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 10/25/2015 3:09 pm

Hi courtikins! Thanks for responding.

How long have you been using tazorac??

MemberMember
(@courtikins)

Posted : 10/25/2015 3:33 pm

You're welcome! I have been using Tazorac for almost a year now, and while it has helped a lot, my acne is not completely gone. However, I may not have been using enough since I was trying to conserve my samples. Two months ago I got the full size version, so now I am using a more generous amount. I'm hoping that will make somewhat of a difference.

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 10/25/2015 4:21 pm

My dermatologist advised me to only use a pea-size amount. So if that's all your using, I feel like you should stick to the amount. Although as far as I've read on these forums, a person's skin tolerance varies as well. I've read of some people who can't handle tazorac everyday. Have you considered mandelic acid to add onto your regimen?

It's got good reviews, and I'm debating on whether to add mandelic acid or benzoyl peroxide onto my regimen once my skin adjusts to tazorac.