Notifications
Clear all

I need help

MemberMember
(@102938)

Posted : 10/23/2015 11:21 pm

I've never felt this ugly in my life. I just finished sobbing uncontrollably and discarding a suicide plan , but I don't feel any better about myself.

I can't stand having acne anymore. I can't take people telling me to be patient on accutane, it's been two months and I see no difference so it's probably not working. I want to talk to someone about this so badly, but I have no one. My mom yells at me and calls me whiny for complaining about my SEVERE acne, saying "everyone has it" (which is far from true) , and some others have worse problems so I shouldn't complain. All my friends have clear skin or mild acne that isn't bad enough to cause them depression and suicide attempts. I have a therapist I see once a week, and she's the only person I can talk to about how awful I feel having acne, but judging by the way my mental state is right now, I need someone to talk to every single day.

I can't even try to hide my acne with hair; people at school and my own mom are now making fun of me saying I look like a ghost, but it's better than having my gross face showing.

Why did I have to get like this? It's as if my self-esteem wasn't bad before. I've never, ever liked the way I looked, but was slowly starting to accept it. Now this acne showed up and the little bit of confidence I have left is completely destroyed. I'm gross.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 10/24/2015 4:01 am

I can't take people telling me to be patient on accutane, it's been two months and I see no difference so it's probably not working.

This is not true, therearemany people breaking out until their last 2-3 months on Accutane. Acne is like a rollercoaster, somedays your face looks awesome and somedays you wonder how is it possible to look so awful. There's a reason you have to take Accutane for a few months.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 10/24/2015 5:16 am

Honestly. Two months is nothing. My skin was awful for about 4-5 months and only cleared then. Please please stick it through! :) I was suicidal before my accutane treatment

102938 liked
MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 10/26/2015 4:47 am

I've never felt this ugly in my life. I just finished sobbing uncontrollably and discarding a suicide plan , but I don't feel any better about myself. 

I can't stand having acne anymore. I can't take people telling me to be patient on accutane, it's been two months and I see no difference so it's probably not working. I want to talk to someone about this so badly, but I have no one. My mom yells at me and calls me whiny for complaining about my SEVERE acne, saying "everyone has it" (which is far from true) , and some others have worse problems so I shouldn't complain. All my friends have clear skin or mild acne that isn't bad enough to cause them depression and suicide attempts.  I have a therapist I see once a week, and she's the only person I can talk to about how awful I feel having acne, but judging by the way my mental state is right  now, I need someone to talk to every single day.

I can't even try to hide my acne with hair; people at school and my own mom are now making fun of me saying I look like a ghost, but it's better than having my gross face showing. 

Why did I have to get like this? It's as if my self-esteem wasn't bad before. I've never, ever liked the way I looked, but was slowly starting to accept it. Now this acne showed up and the little bit of confidence I have left is completely destroyed. I'm gross. 

Why is it that parents never understand? When i say anything about my acne my mum tells me to get over it, or tries to make me feel bad by talking about people she knows with illnesses and disabilities who are so much happier and better then me. When i told her i wanted to kill myself she told me i was "wicked" for saying that. All i wanted was for her to hug me and tell me she loved me even though i am ugly and disgusting.
Its good you are seeing a therapist. Talking to someone who shows some concern and understanding is always helpful. I used to talk to my grandma but she passed away last year. Now i sometimes talk to the air and hope she can hear me wherever she is - kind of pathetic i know.
Dont give up. Some people do manage to clear their acne so there's always hope - that's what keeps me going. I try to imagine how wonderful it will b when my skin is clear. Maybe i am just being naive and unrealistic - but imagination sure is a wonderful thing :)

102938 liked
MemberMember
(@102938)

Posted : 10/26/2015 6:00 am

I can't stand having acne anymore. I can't take people telling me to be patient on accutane, it's been two months and I see no difference so it's probably not working. I want to talk to someone about this so badly, but I have no one. My mom yells at me and calls me whiny for complaining about my SEVERE acne, saying "everyone has it" (which is far from true) , and some others have worse problems so I shouldn't complain. All my friends have clear skin or mild acne that isn't bad enough to cause them depression and suicide attempts.  I have a therapist I see once a week, and she's the only person I can talk to about how awful I feel having acne, but judging by the way my mental state is right  now, I need someone to talk to every single day.

Why is it that parents never understand? When i say anything about my acne my mum tells me to get over it, or tries to make me feel bad by talking about people she knows with illnesses and disabilities who are so much happier and better then me. When i told her i wanted to kill myself she told me i was "wicked" for saying that. All i wanted was for her to hug me and tell me she loved me even though i am ugly and disgusting.
Its good you are seeing a therapist. Talking to someone who shows some concern and understanding is always helpful. I used to talk to my grandma but she passed away last year. Now i sometimes talk to the air and hope she can hear me wherever she is - kind of pathetic i know.
Dont give up. Some people do manage to clear their acne so there's always hope - that's what keeps me going. I try to imagine how wonderful it will b when my skin is clear. Maybe i am just being naive and unrealistic - but imagination sure is a wonderful thing :)

I hate that. I wish people would understand that even though others may have it worse, it doesn't mean I'm not suffering. Someone else's pain doesn't erase or minimize mine. I tell her the same thing, that I just want support and motivation to keep fighting through this, but I always just get called whiny.

What bothers me the most about having acne is how people with it get stereotyped as gross and unclean. If people with clear skin understood that acne isn't caused by not washing you face and how hard it is to clear it up sometimes, I'd feel a bit better because I wouldn't be blamed for having this. Sure, I'd still look ugly, but people wouldn't think I have bad hygiene and don't care about myself. I've actually always been obsessed with being clean and never forget to shower or wash my face, but it doesn't look like it at all.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 10/26/2015 6:33 am

My family are the same.. They don't understand. If I breakout I get upset and I'll point it out and they find it annoying and stupid.

comparing it to someone else who has it 'worse' doesn't help in the slightest.

"A man was blind in one eye. He went to a bar and next to him sat a completely blind man. He looked and thought how lucky he was to not have that, and found the other man inspiring - but it didn't make his own challenges any less of a struggle"

102938 liked
MemberMember
(@wizard17)

Posted : 10/26/2015 7:36 am

I know exactly how you feel. Whenever I complain about my acne, my family and friends will always tell me about other people's problems in life. They always say that my problem is so small compared to others who have nothing to eat or who are experiencing terminal diseases or someone who has much worst acne,stuff like that. It did not,in any way, made me feel good about myself. Why can't they understand that others' suffering won't be a solution my pain and insecurities.

I also hate the fact that people with clear skin see me as someone dirty and has a bad hygiene. A very close friend told me once that even time had passed the way I looked never changed and may be I should start "cleaning" my face because of my acne to be handsome like the other guys. She was joking but I felt disappointed of what she said. Clearly, she don't know anything about acne just because she never had a single pimple on her face. 

Also about self-esteem, I never felt confident about myself throughout my entire life. I was born as someone timid and shy. I don't talk to people sometimes even my relatives because I just don't know what to say. And when I was in high school I was bullied making me feel bad about myself. After some time acne came into my life and completely destroyed my self confidence. I can't even face other people. Whenever there are parties I don't attend at any of those events because I hate the way I look and no matter how much I spend on the clothes I'll be wearing people will still see and judge me by my acne and scars . I feel rejected by the world I live in.

THAT IS HOW I SEE LIFE BEFORE...
But now..

Acne has taught me to love myself even if others see me as ugly or dirty. And that is what I'll do, I will love myself and accept the way I look. Also, always stay positive no matter how bad things may get. There are still days when I feel bad about my acne just like today I have this painful big twin pimple is what I like to call it(the pimple that appears like one, but actually two pimples so close to each other, if you know what Im saying) on my cheek, it feels heavy. I lost my energy for the day because of that.It is a process and it is normal to feel bad but we must make sure that we do not hold on to our negative feelings but rather to the positive ones. :D Things will get better for all us, just believe. :) 

102938 liked
MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 10/26/2015 2:48 pm

Acne and other skin conditions (eczema etc.) are medical conditions and should b treated as such. Most people wouldn't look at someone with cancer for example and think that person was gross or somehow to blame for their illness or make some awful joke about it. Acne doesnt seem to be taken seriously for some reason and that really makes me angry.

102938 liked
MemberMember
(@102938)

Posted : 10/28/2015 5:51 am

Acne and other skin conditions (eczema etc.) are medical conditions and should b treated as such. Most people wouldn't look at someone with cancer for example and think that person was gross or somehow to blame for their illness or make some awful joke about it. Acne doesnt seem to be taken seriously for some reason and that really makes me angry.

It's horrible how lots of people treat it as if it were a choice.

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 10/28/2015 1:52 pm

I know how you feel. Right now I cry every single day. I've asked my boyfriend if we could take a break because I really needed to just feel lousy about myself for an inordinate amount of time.I also reallyhate the "some people have it far worse than you do" card because I KNOW THAT. But that doesn't make my feelings invalid. I still feellike crap.

I'm lucky because most of my coworkers are amazing and have never once commented on my acne. I'm also lucky to have a very supportive boyfriend who loves me in spite my acne. He's used the"some people have it far worsethan you do" card once but I talked to him about it and he has never used it since.They even go as far as telling me I'm still beautiful/pretty with the acne, which makes me feel better. I have one coworker who seems to have a habit of pointing out my face -- "it's getting worse", "Wow, your zits are so big" "That's a lot of pus!" Like, WTF dude. I KNOW. You do not have to shove it in my face.

Please stay strong. You can do this. You are amazing and beautiful even with the acne.

MemberMember
(@craig-h)

Posted : 11/14/2015 8:31 am

I can't stand having acne anymore. I can't take people telling me to be patient on accutane, it's been two months and I see no difference so it's probably not working. I want to talk to someone about this so badly, but I have no one. My mom yells at me and calls me whiny for complaining about my SEVERE acne, saying "everyone has it" (which is far from true) , and some others have worse problems so I shouldn't complain. All my friends have clear skin or mild acne that isn't bad enough to cause them depression and suicide attempts. I have a therapist I see once a week, and she's the only person I can talk to about how awful I feel having acne, but judging by the way my mental state is right now, I need someone to talk to every single day.

You know, we should add friends on fb just to share our thoughts and feelings, I find that helps since only the ones who greatly suffer from acne understand what they have to go through ... keeping it to oneself is stressful and dangerous. I understand you.