Notifications
Clear all

Any benefit of limiting gluten?

MemberMember
(@baze15)

Posted : 10/23/2015 6:21 pm

I was wondering if there is any benefit for your body and acne if you limit gluten, rather than eliminate it completely? I would like to avoid gluten for the most part, but still be able to enjoy a few wheat things a week. Would this be completely useless? I've heard from many it's an all or nothing type deal because of the way your body reacts to gluten

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 10/25/2015 8:34 pm

Hi there,

I just happened to read an article about gluten intolerance that might interest you. No, the article doesn't dispense advice on how much gluten to avoid or the damages that gluten cause to our bodies. Rather, the writer laments that people nowadays are avoiding gluten simply because they see others doing it.

Supermarkets have also capitalized on this frenzy by introducing whole shelves of gluten-free products, targeted at people who do not need to avoid gluten at all. A restaurant in Italy was so exasperated by the demands of American tourists for gluten-free meals that they had to make a big note on their menu "We Do Not Serve Gluten-Free Food". How about that?

The gist of the article is, modern people have fallen for marketing gimmicks that make you believe you're allergic to certain foods when in fact you're not. The irony, as the writer appropriately points out when he attended a party intended for elderly people, is that none of them raised any food allergy issues when asked if they have any dietary preferences; they were glad to eat anything. However, at a party for much younger people, a woman claimed that she cannot eat shellfish but oh, she will eat lobster. *face palm*

So the morale of the story is -- as I'm inclined to believe -- if you're genuinely celiac intolerant, then avoid gluten. Otherwise, eat away.

MemberMember
(@ajm00001)

Posted : 10/25/2015 9:37 pm

There is such a thing a gluten sensitivity. If you are curious, you need to be tested. This is a Government approved lab for testing gluten sensitivity: [removed]

Take a look. It is not a blood test, it is the gross test so you have to mail your specimen to the lab.

MemberMember
(@ulysses1200)

Posted : 10/25/2015 11:06 pm

Hi - Myfirst post, butI read your question, andI had to reply.I am amiddle aged white male, and I'm not sure how this relates to anyone else, but for me, at 56, and having battled acne for 40plus years, I can say with all certainty that eliminating gluten, 100% elimination, is the only thing that hascured my acne.I have found that I cannot tolerate gluten in any amounts, or I break out like all get out. I would advise anyone that has tried every over the counter, under the counter, holistic, prescription, voodoo, family recipe, any poultice or pill or powder, and nothing seemed to work; eliminate gluten from your diet and see how that goes. I read somewhere that it's not what goes on you, but what goes in you, that counts. I also eliminated dairy at about the same time, as I was about 80% there (having no breakouts), andremoving dairy took me to100% clear. Now, if I break out, I can almost always trace my diet back to something that I ate that hadhiddengluten or dairy.
Again, I cannot speak for anyone else, but if you really want toknow, tryeliminating gluten and see how that goes.And as another poster noted, there arelots of alternatives to gluten products out there now.
Hope this helped.

MemberMember
(@baze15)

Posted : 10/26/2015 2:54 pm

Hi - Myfirst post, butI read your question, andI had to reply.I am amiddle aged white male, and I'm not sure how this relates to anyone else, but for me, at 56, and having battled acne for 40plus years, I can say with all certainty that eliminating gluten, 100% elimination, is the only thing that hascured my acne.I have found that I cannot tolerate gluten in any amounts, or I break out like all get out. I would advise anyone that has tried every over the counter, under the counter, holistic, prescription, voodoo, family recipe, any poultice or pill or powder, and nothing seemed to work; eliminate gluten from your diet and see how that goes. I read somewhere that it's not what goes on you, but what goes in you, that counts. I also eliminated dairy at about the same time, as I was about 80% there (having no breakouts), andremoving dairy took me to100% clear. Now, if I break out, I can almost always trace my diet back to something that I ate that hadhiddengluten or dairy.
Again, I cannot speak for anyone else, but if you really want toknow, tryeliminating gluten and see how that goes.And as another poster noted, there arelots of alternatives to gluten products out there now.
Hope this helped.

Interesting. Did you actually ever get tested for gluten intolerance?

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 10/26/2015 3:09 pm

I was wondering if there is any benefit for your body and acne if you limit gluten, rather than eliminate it completely? I would like to avoid gluten for the most part, but still be able to enjoy a few wheat things a week. Would this be completely useless? I've heard from many it's an all or nothing type deal because of the way your body reacts to gluten

If i were to binge on bread right now i guarantee i would get a horrible breakout within the next few days. However, after much experimenting, i have come to feel that it isnt gluten alone that is the culprit, rather i am sensitive to all grains in general. Everyones different but i like to limit my grain intake - i don't know why but it makes a difference. Why not just try eliminating gluten for a month and see if you get any results? If your skin is no better then you know its not the cause. Gluten does upset some people on the stomach even if they dont have celiac. Anything's worth a try i say.

MemberMember
(@baze15)

Posted : 10/26/2015 3:32 pm

If i were to binge on bread right now i guarantee i would get a horrible breakout within the next few days. However, after much experimenting, i have come to feel that it isnt gluten alone that is the culprit, rather i am sensitive to all grains in general. Everyones different but i like to limit my grain intake - i don't know why but it makes a difference. Why not just try eliminating gluten for a month and see if you get any results? If your skin is no better then you know its not the cause. Gluten does upset some people on the stomach even if they dont have celiac. Anything's worth a try i say.

Hi, I actually eliminated gluten for two months. but this was along with several other foods. My skin was pretty good at this time but it's hard to say ifeliminatinggluten helped.