Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pord

Pord's Progress: Holistic Approach

Hello everyone,

To put my situation is perspective I will give you a little background information:

I'm a Caucasian male in my mid-twenties. I have had acne since I was a teenager (I don't remember the exact year it started).

Like almost everyone here, I have tried just about every topical treatment and antibiotic; all of which either did nothing, made it worse, or helped for a period of time, but then worsened my condition. The topical treatment that worked the best for the longest period of time was: acne.org cleanser, acne.org 2.5% BP, and Cetaphil moisturizer. At that time I also took Acnescript. However, shortly after this I moved to South America and my face exploded, for lack of a better term.

While in South America I did a 6 month round of Accutane. I experienced dry skin, reddening of the skin, and hair loss. It worked so-so and while it did help, it never cleared me 100%. This was close to 5 years ago.

When I returned to the US I tried to resume my normal acne routine of cleanser, BP as treatment, and either Cetaphil Moisturizer or acne.org moisturizer. This time around it did nothing for me. I think Accutane "thinned" the skin on my face, if that makes any sense. Even the smallest amount of BP leaves what appears to be a chemical burn on my face. If I was to draw a unicorn with the BP it would show on my face. This never happened before the round of Accutane.

There has only been one other time when my face has been relatively clear after Accutane. During this time I stopped shaving and was only washing my face with water and used CeraVe moisturizer. Though after about a month the acne returned. This was a few months ago.

Currently I have combination skin, comedones all over, a handful of whiteheads, uneven skin tone, and a sheen to my face. Currently I would say my acne is mild/moderate.

I am currently taking a holistic approach to combat my acne. This includes:

Diet:

I do my best to follow a paleo template. I am learning more about the glycemic index and I try to eat low-glycemic meals. I avoid sugar, dairy, gluten, and processed food.

For supplements I take: 1.2g of NAC (BulkSupplements), 300mg of Milk Thistle (Jarrow Formulas), 50mg of Zinc Picolinate (NOW), 200mg of Selenium (every other day), 500mg to 1g of timed release Pantothenic Acid (Puritan's Pride), Cod Liver Oil (going to switch to Krill oil), Pro-biotic (PB 8 by Nutrition Now) 5,000 IU of Vitamin D-3 (NOW).

I have considered taking 500mg of B3.

Lifestyle:

I work out about six days a week doing heavy resistance training, calisthenics, sprints, and various forms of low-level aerobic exercise.

I try to get enough sleep every night, but I average six hours of sleep or so. This is one area that I need to improve.

I try to meditate and practice mindfulness at least once a day. This is something new that I have started - so I am still trying to form the habit.

External skincare:

As of 10/20/15 I am only gently washing my face with water. Afterwards I apply a 1:3 ACV (BRAGG) mixture with a cotton pad all over my face. I have high linoleic acid oil (Safflower) on the way which I plan to use as a moisturizer at night.

Other:

I do my best to not irritate my face by touching or picking at it.

I use an electric razor. I am trying to determine the best frequency; currently I shave every night.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions? Am I missing anything?

Edited by Pord

Why the vitamin B supplements? I'd personally add a magnesium supplement at night. It helps with the effectiveness of Vitamin D and made my sleeping amazing. I was having trouble sleeping once I started paleo. I use Nature's Calm and would consider this the most important supplement I take.

Also try to get enough salt if you're going paleo. Since you're not eating processed foods your salt intake will drop considerably. Also you probably won't be eating as many carbs and this may create an electrolyte imbalance. Sea salt on everything!

Cheers,

Why the vitamin B supplements? I'd personally add a magnesium supplement at night. It helps with the effectiveness of Vitamin D and made my sleeping amazing. I was having trouble sleeping once I started paleo. I use Nature's Calm and would consider this the most important supplement I take.

Also try to get enough salt if you're going paleo. Since you're not eating processed foods your salt intake will drop considerably. Also you probably won't be eating as many carbs and this may create an electrolyte imbalance. Sea salt on everything!

Cheers,

Great question.

I take the B-Complex for weight training.

As far as a magnesium supplement goes, I used to take 400mg at night. I am off and on with this and need to reintroduce it in my sleep hygiene. Oh, and I also have a bottle of Nature's Calm. I have not had it for very long so I have not formed a habit of taking it yet.

I just made the switch to sea salt as well!

Thank you for the reply.

I just got some high linoleic acid Safflower oil to try out as a moisturizer at night. I will post updates regarding how well it does or does not work.

Edited by Pord

Cheers,

On second thought:

I think that I am going to stop taking a B-Complex and instead take 500mg to 1g of B5.

Cheers,

On second thought:

I think that I am going to stop taking a B-Complex and instead take 500mg to 1g of B5.

Good call! If you're fairly clean on the paleo diet you probably don't need many vitamin supplements, as you'd likely be getting enough from all the veggies. A lot of people have documented an increase in acne from B-complex vitamins as well. I noticed my face got quite a bit more oily when I supplemented with biotin (for my seb derm). 

If you're taking B5, i'd add L-carnitine to increase effectiveness. Should be a decent stack for body building and I don't think it'd do much for increasing acne. It may actually decrease oil production, but each to our own! I might try this out too.

Edited by Canucklehead12

On 11/7/2015, 5:18:10, Canucklehead12 said:
On 11/7/2015, 12:12:47, Pord said:
On 10/24/2015, 10:47:04, Canucklehead12 said:

Cheers,

On second thought:

Good call! If you're fairly clean on the paleo diet you probably don't need many vitamin supplements, as you'd likely be getting enough from all the veggies. A lot of people have documented an increase in acne from B-complex vitamins as well. I noticed my face got quite a bit more oily when I supplemented with biotin (for my seb derm). 

If you're taking B5, i'd add L-carnitine to increase effectiveness. Should be a decent stack for body building and I don't think it'd do much for increasing acne. It may actually decrease oil production, but each to our own! I might try this out too.

That's interesting regarding the increase in acne when taking a B-Complex. It would be interesting to read on that. If you happen to have a link please pass it my way.

L-Carnitine - That, along with B5 (500mg, time release) is what WingedSerpent used to recommend in his thread about how he cleared his acne. It's interesting to note that he later stopped taking it and recommended others to do the same. It seems that recommendation stemmed from issues relating to the heart, not the skin.

Edited by Pord

That's interesting regarding the increase in acne when taking a B-Complex. It would be interesting to read on that. If you happen to have a link please pass it my way.

L-Carnitine - That, along with B5 (500mg, time release) is what WingedSerpent used to recommend in his thread about how he cleared his acne. It's interesting to note that he later stopped taking it and recommended other to do the same. It seems that recommendation stemmed from issues relating to the heart, not the skin

You can just google the B-complex having caused breakouts for some. The first link is from the love vitamin (natural / caveman approach to acne) http://thelovevitamin.com/15994/b-vitamins-acne/

When I took Biotin (Vitamin B7) I definitely noticed an increase in oil production. Look at any Biotin supplement reviews and you'll see the same results for many people. But it depends on the person.

500mg of B5 is such a low dose in my opinion. B5 is water soluble as well, so any excess is just eliminated via urine. But relying long term on supplements is not the best route to take. I'd way rather eat a clean, healthy diet and have my body regulate itself!

L-Carnitine - That, along with B5 (500mg, time release) is what WingedSerpent used to recommend in his thread about how he cleared his acne. It's interesting to note that he later stopped taking it and recommended other to do the same. It seems that recommendation stemmed from issues relating to the heart, not the skin

You can just google the B-complex having caused breakouts for some. The first link is from the love vitamin (natural / caveman approach to acne) http://thelovevitamin.com/15994/b-vitamins-acne/

When I took Biotin (Vitamin B7) I definitely noticed an increase in oil production. Look at any Biotin supplement reviews and you'll see the same results for many people. But it depends on the person.

500mg of B5 is such a low dose in my opinion. B5 is water soluble as well, so any excess is just eliminated via urine. But relying long term on supplements is not the best route to take. I'd way rather eat a clean, healthy diet and have my body regulate itself!

Yeah I took a look at that post when I did a Google search - very interesting stuff. Afterwards I went and looked at my B-Complex and sure enough the form of B12 in mine was the exact form that was mentions as a problem. I have now stopped taking it.

I agree that 500mg is a low-dose, but I have read a few cases where it supposedly helped. It would not be a long term thing of course, just long enough to see if it helps. If you have not read the post by WingedSerpent I highly recommend it.

Just purchased a new electric razor. Hopefully it will cut down on the irritation my skin experiences while shaving.

I recently received Pantothenic Acid (B5) 500mg timed release from Puritan's Pride. They seemed to be the best brand and one of the only ones that I could find that offered timed release.

I plan to take anywhere from 500mg to 1g every day for the next couple of months to see if there is any effect.

I have been using the pro-biotic "PB 8" by Nutrition Now for a few days now. I will update this thread if I see any difference with this addition.

On 12/7/2015, 3:31:43, Canucklehead12 said:

How's the B5 supplements working out? Notice any difference in oil production?

Yes, definitely. My face doesn't seem to have a "sheen" to it like it once did, if you know what I mean.

My current problem area is my forehead, which has closed bumps. Initially I though the linoleic acid was helping, but I might have used too much and caused more harm than good. I plan to use the linoleic acid (safflower oil) again, but just one drop, and only on my forehead at night.

Update: I have stopped using linoleic acid (safflower oil) on my face. I am almost positive that's what was caused the acne on my forehead.

Still continuing to see results from the B5? I picked up some, along with L-Carnatine and will begin to test this out as well. My skin isn't crazy oily, but there definitely is a major sheen at midday.

I'm only going to take 500mg a day though.

On 1/1/2016, 8:51:01, Canucklehead12 said:

Still continuing to see results from the B5? I picked up some, along with L-Carnatine and will begin to test this out as well. My skin isn't crazy oily, but there definitely is a major sheen at midday.

I'm only going to take 500mg a day though.

Yes, I think so.

I just purchased a juicer and I plan to purchase some L-Carnitine as well.

I have also made quite a few other changes over the last couple of weeks. I need to make some time to update my thread.