Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

delete

Why the vitamin B supplements? I'd personally add a magnesium supplement at night. It helps with the effectiveness of Vitamin D and made my sleeping amazing. I was having trouble sleeping once I started paleo. I use Nature's Calm and would consider this the most important supplement I take.

Also try to get enough salt if you're going paleo. Since you're not eating processed foods your salt intake will drop considerably. Also you probably won't be eating as many carbs and this may create an electrolyte imbalance. Sea salt on everything!

Cheers,

Why the vitamin B supplements? I'd personally add a magnesium supplement at night. It helps with the effectiveness of Vitamin D and made my sleeping amazing. I was having trouble sleeping once I started paleo. I use Nature's Calm and would consider this the most important supplement I take.

Also try to get enough salt if you're going paleo. Since you're not eating processed foods your salt intake will drop considerably. Also you probably won't be eating as many carbs and this may create an electrolyte imbalance. Sea salt on everything!

Cheers,

On second thought:

I think that I am going to stop taking a B-Complex and instead take 500mg to 1g of B5.

Good call! If you're fairly clean on the paleo diet you probably don't need many vitamin supplements, as you'd likely be getting enough from all the veggies. A lot of people have documented an increase in acne from B-complex vitamins as well. I noticed my face got quite a bit more oily when I supplemented with biotin (for my seb derm). 

If you're taking B5, i'd add L-carnitine to increase effectiveness. Should be a decent stack for body building and I don't think it'd do much for increasing acne. It may actually decrease oil production, but each to our own! I might try this out too.

Edited by Canucklehead12

That's interesting regarding the increase in acne when taking a B-Complex. It would be interesting to read on that. If you happen to have a link please pass it my way.

L-Carnitine - That, along with B5 (500mg, time release) is what WingedSerpent used to recommend in his thread about how he cleared his acne. It's interesting to note that he later stopped taking it and recommended other to do the same. It seems that recommendation stemmed from issues relating to the heart, not the skin

You can just google the B-complex having caused breakouts for some. The first link is from the love vitamin (natural / caveman approach to acne) http://thelovevitamin.com/15994/b-vitamins-acne/

When I took Biotin (Vitamin B7) I definitely noticed an increase in oil production. Look at any Biotin supplement reviews and you'll see the same results for many people. But it depends on the person.

500mg of B5 is such a low dose in my opinion. B5 is water soluble as well, so any excess is just eliminated via urine. But relying long term on supplements is not the best route to take. I'd way rather eat a clean, healthy diet and have my body regulate itself!

Still continuing to see results from the B5? I picked up some, along with L-Carnatine and will begin to test this out as well. My skin isn't crazy oily, but there definitely is a major sheen at midday.

I'm only going to take 500mg a day though.