Notifications
Clear all

Oily Skin Becomes...Dry Skin

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 10/23/2015 2:26 am

So, I've had oily skin all my life; every day, every night, every passing minute. It's like an oil field, literally.

Until about a week ago, I realized that it has somewhat become drier and the skin has been secreting less oil. How do I know? I have a habit of blotting my face with those little films and usually the entire film would be drenched (I might even need 2 pieces sometimes).

Just recently, after blotting, the film is only half greased. I mean, I can even feel my face becoming dry (it's not an illusion) because I can see very faint and very small red patches on the skin and especially around my mouth, it's just so dry that I have to keep wetting the lips with my tongue.

The new addition to my regimen is the Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Foam which I don't know if it has anything to do with this sudden dryness. It says to massage the antibacterial foam on the face and let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing. Any idea if I should revert to using Cetaphil which I have been using prior to introducing Sebamed?

PS: I've never experienced dry skin until a week ago. It's both weird and frightening, given that my face is super oily for as long as I have been alive.

Thanks, everyone.

MemberMember
(@coldwash)

Posted : 10/23/2015 3:59 am

If your face starts getting dry after you try something new, then yes, that thing should be your culprit. A lot of products can have that effect on your skin, it's not something rare, don't worry. I'd say if your face isn't extremely dry, to the point where it feels so tight that you can't even smile and if it's not flaky, then it's not something bad. In my opinion, you should give the new product a chance, and if it makes your skin drier, then you can stop using it and go back to your old one or try something new.

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 10/23/2015 7:49 pm

If your face starts getting dry after you try something new, then yes, that thing should be your culprit. A lot of products can have that effect on your skin, it's not something rare, don't worry. I'd say if your face isn't extremely dry, to the point where it feels so tight that you can't even smile and if it's not flaky, then it's not something bad. In my opinion, you should give the new product a chance, and if it makes your skin drier, then you can stop using it and go back to your old one or try something new.

Thanks for your reply. I guess dryness on formerly oily and acne-prone skin isn't that bad after all. And fortunately, it's not dry to the extent where I'm not unable to smile and neither are there are any flakes.

But it just feels 'wrong' if you get what I mean...because my face was truly oily before, so much so that it can reflect street lights at night O_O But I guess I should still revert to using Cetaphil which is so much gentler and apply spot treatment on those acne-prone areas.

I don't know if this is true but compared to oily skin, dry skin actually is more inclined to developing wrinkles as one ages?

MemberMember
(@coldwash)

Posted : 10/24/2015 6:32 am

I have an extremely oily skin as well and I'd really love for it to be drier, but not too dry... kinda like the way that products is making your skin. Since your face has been oily forever, maybe you'll need more time to get used to it. If I were you, I'd stick with it. If it's keeping your face from getting oily, it might actually help with your acne as well. Personally, I think you should give a product at least a month to know if it will work for you or not. But of course, it all depends on you and your preference. If the sudden drier skin is something that's bothering you, you can go back to using Cetaphil. And as far as I know, wrinkles and dry skin aren't connected in any way. :)

MemberMember
(@djian)

Posted : 10/27/2015 8:56 am

I think that you should take out the new product since that seems like the main thing thats causing your dryness, it should be good that you have oily skin, that way, your skin's natural oils can replenish your skin! If you overdry it, it will become even more oily in the future.

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 10/27/2015 8:27 pm

I think that you should take out the new product since that seems like the main thing thats causing your dryness, it should be good that you have oily skin, that way, your skin's natural oils can replenish your skin! If you overdry it, it will become even more oily in the future.

Thanks for your advice. I eliminated that product from my regime and resumed the usage of Cetaphil. My lips are not chapping anymore and they are luscious. Oil secretion on the rest of my face have somewhat returned to 'normal' (that is, excessive like before) and even though there is nothing to cheer about oily skin, I certainly prefer it to dry and flaky skin.

I think I'm one of the rare people here who have had the opportunity to transition from oily skin to dry and back to oily again so I'm in a position to know what both worlds feels like. Take it from me, oily skin is way better...

oyinkan98 liked
MemberMember
(@oily2dryskin)

Posted : 01/14/2016 9:40 pm

Hi all...i am experiencing similar symptoms...my face and back were like oil fields....have been suffering from severe cystic and topical acne since adolescence.....suddenly experiencing dry but not extremely dry skin.... Recently changed to palmer's BBQ cream....and was on antibiotics short while ago....I have been taking omega3 for cystic acne which seemed to help but didn't get rid of acne 100%....so I have now for the past few days stopped using palmer's bb cream...still skin condition is same....wondering anyone experienced this on changing bb cream or antibiotics has a role to play in this maybe???
Cheers 🙂

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 01/14/2016 9:45 pm

On October 27, 2015 at 930 PM, Convinceme said:

Thanks for your advice. I eliminated that product from my regime and resumed the usage of Cetaphil. My lips are not chapping anymore and they are luscious. Oil secretion on the rest of my face have somewhat returned to 'normal' (that is, excessive like before) and even though there is nothing to cheer about oily skin, I certainly prefer it to dry and flaky skin.

I think I'm one of the rare people here who have had the opportunity to transition from oily skin to dry and back to oily again so I'm in a position to know what both worlds feels like. Take it from me, oily skin is way better...

Same here :P lol