Notifications
Clear all

What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP 🙁

MemberMember
(@michelleromero)

Posted : 10/22/2015 9:51 am

Hey everyone!  So this summer I started having some breakouts on my skin, I was frustrated then, I am desperate now because everything just got worst. From a few pimples I got an invasion of them now, and I don't really know what to do. 
It first started in my right cheek, but then it migrated to my left cheek as well. My mother says it's stress from college, and it might be... but it's my third year in college, and I don't understand why it got so bad in a few months. I will admit my nutrition has not been the best... but it has been the same from the last two years. But obviously, I'm trying to change it. I'm eating more vegetables, chicken, shrimps, spinach, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, brown rice, cereal, avocado, eggs, olive oil, etc. 
I don't even know what kind of acne is this, hormonal, cystic, it's just only from stress???  How do I stop it from spreading? I know not picking on my acne is one way... which I found really hard to do, but I promise I'm really trying!
I also bought pure tea tree oil, Dickinson's All Natural Astringent for face and Body (Witch Hazel), but it was not working. Now I bought Equate beauty Simple 3 steps system and I think that helped me stop my acne... in only one of my cheeks. I have only one blind pimple in my left cheek, hopefully it will go away (tips to make this happen are welcome). Anyways, my acne really hurts and makes me feel so ugly. I'm having self esteem problems, and I feel really sad about it. Everything got worst really fast. And I cannot go to the dermatologist here in the U.S. because I am an international student and my insurance does not cover going to one, and I have a scholarship, which means I c-a-n-n-o-t afford going to one. Here is my day and night routine...if you notice I'm doing something wrong, please tell me!

During the day:
- I was my face with Equate's Purifying cleanser
- I rewash my face with Avon's cucumber and aloe vera face wash
- I apply Equate's rejuvenating toner
- I put some equate's all day moisturizing lotion SPF
- And then I apply some more sunscreen, I can't remember the brand but it non comedogenic, no parebens, doesn't clog pores, etc.
- I finally apply some neutrogena makeup. 

At night:
- I was my face with Equate's Purifying cleanser
- I rewash my face with Avon's cucumber and aloe vera face wash
- I exfoliate my face (every other day)

- I apply Equate's rejuvenating toner
- I dilute some tea tree oil with water and put it on my face
- I put some equate's all day moisturizing lotion SPF to moisturize my face again
- I put some benzoyl peroxide (nature's cure, asepxia or Equate's repairing lotion) on my active acne
- And finally on my hyper-pigmentation I put some Vitamin E oil 

Sometimes I boil some water with some tea tree oil and lemon juice on it, and then apply honey to my face. I'm also eating a clove of garlic every night because they say it is good for acne...

I'm I putting many things in my face? What I'm I doing wrong? Please PLEASE help me! Thank you!

IMG_20151022_092008.jpg

IMG_20151022_091420489.jpg

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/22/2015 12:01 pm

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Definitely continue to do diet changes, especially cutting out milk, processed foods and gluten if you feel it may help. You could also try the regimen from this site if you skin is not sensitive. Some of your acne looks cystic so it may help to call around to see if a derm will see you for cheap or if your school has a health center.

Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@dittus)

Posted : 10/22/2015 2:03 pm

Stop (or cut down significantly on) eating dairy and especially sugary and processed food. Try it for 2 months and see. Also drink a LOT of water. A lot. At least 1.5 liters a day. Herbal tea is a fine substitute, but don't do ones with caffeine too much.

Sounds like you're doing quite a lot to your face, especially at night, when your body has the best chance to heal your skin. I personally would cut down on the number of products and also steps in your regimen.
1. You don't have to wash your face with 2 different cleansers. One good one should be enough.
2. Exfoliating skin with acne too often is not a good idea, because when you break the skin's surface you're creating little doors for the bacteria to spread and enter. I would do it maximum 1 time per week and make sure you use a very gentle scrub.
3. I personally use 1/10 part diluted apple cider vinegar (ACV) for toner. You can get an organic one at the grocery store and it will last forever. Witch hazel is also good, the Thayer's brand is supposed to be very good. The ACV one might sting the parts where the skin is broken (aka where you picked before) but it doesn't do any damage and it goes away in 10 seconds.
4. A general rule for me is don't use more than one "acne" product at the same time. You use BP and tea tree oil and and vitamin e and lemon juice, it just sounds like a lot. I can't tell you what to use, you have to experiment but try to find one and stick with it for at least 2 months.

It might be worth for you trying a face mask once (max. twice) a week. You can buy dry clay at health food stores that you can customize to your needs. I do this once a week, I make the mask and put a thick layer on my face and leave it on for 20-30 minutes:
- 1 tbsp Bentonite Clay (mine is Aztec Secret)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey (optional but I would highly recommend)
- 1 capsule activated charcoal (the ones you buy in pills, just break it open and put the charcoal in there)
- enough water to make it into a paste
(- I personally add a couple drops of jojoba oil into my mask because my acne is related to dry skin but that's optional)

Oh.. and since you're a picker.. if you picked or popped or scratched a pimple you have to make sure that you keep it and the area around it protected so germs don't enter through the skin.
Hope this helps you :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/23/2015 5:44 pm

Lucas, no need to be so negative. The cause of acne for everyone is different but at least we are giving her options. Stress does affect the body so staying stress free can help overall. For some people, diet is not a big deal but for others, it can be. As for accutane, same deal. it may or may not work.

When someone comes asking for advice, the last thing they want to hear is that its hopeless. Please don't discourage others.

Exning liked
MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 10/23/2015 5:54 pm

I personally feel stress is a major cause for my acne. Major.

I do think you are putting too much on your face.

Personally, I would go and see a regular GP/doctor and get prescribed something along the lines of duac/epiduo, then apply it once nightly after use of a gentle face wash (such as cetaphil). That way you're doing all you need to do - cleaning your face and then applying an anti-acne topical and leave it at that! :) sometimes too many products can be awful and there's no need for it. i remember when I first started breaking out I used so much stuff! Benzoyl after benzoyl, toothpaste, then moisturizers and toners, creams and creams. My acne just got worse!

MemberMember
(@djian)

Posted : 10/27/2015 9:01 am

From, your story it looks like either you are having a stress breakout or diet change. Since it is in the cheeks area, it could also be hormonal. I'm not entirely sure. By the way, I think you need to cut back on the products you are using. Too much could make it worse, you just need a basic routine to stick to. For me, I used to have the same problem, I all of a sudden got acne on my cheeks, and I didn't know the cause!!! they are still there but not that bad. For me, I think its just hormonal/genetic acne because I used to have clear skinon my cheeks and then whenever my period came around, I would break out and stay that way. When you wash your face, don't scrub it hard, don't use too many things on it either. If it looks inflamed, or you just want to lighten your scars, I reccomend aloe vera gel. GOOD LUCK!!!! :) 

MemberMember
(@michelleromero)

Posted : 10/31/2015 5:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice! I really appreciate! It seemed like in one cheeck it was starting to get better, but then I broke out again, and in the other cheek I have no active pimple, only scarring. I'll try to use fewer products and change my diet and see how it goes! Thanks to all!