Notifications
Clear all

Should I stop using BP?

MemberMember
(@bn071)

Posted : 10/21/2015 8:52 am

Hi everyone. I have been using benzoylperoxide for 4 weeks now. Hoping it would (at least) reduce my acne, the opposite happened. Around my cheeks and jawline is worse than ever, even worse than in my puberty. I can't help but to think the benzoylperoxide is making it worse. I know, everyone says it can be worse in the beginning, but still after 4 weeks?

I was wondering what you guys think, should I stop using the bp?

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 10/25/2015 2:25 am

Benzoyl peroxide, unlike retinoids and bha's for example, cannot purge the skin and should not cause you more breakouts than you already experience. BP usually works straight away to kill the bacteria in the pores that can cause the forming acne lesisons to worsen and become pus-filled, so generally it will not cause acne to worsen. Therefore it seems you are likely having an irritation reaction to it. You should either try a lower percentage of it, either by buying a lower percentage tube or diluting it in some moisturiser. Then I would maybe even use it on only a portion of your face for the next week so you can keep some area of your face as a 'control' to really determine if the BP is not agreeing with your skin. :)

Robswife2 liked
MemberMember
(@dittus)

Posted : 10/26/2015 3:53 pm

I agree with the previous poster. BP should not cause purging.
For me, it made my acne worse by irritating my skin and drying it out even more than it was before (apparently I did not know I had dry oily skin at the time) so it started to produce even more oil to compensate. It's not for everyone.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 10/26/2015 4:03 pm

I don't know if I'm purging or not but I use BP too and I still get new breakouts. Like small tiny ones. I'm in my 5th week of the regimen.

MemberMember
(@robswife2)

Posted : 11/08/2015 8:41 pm

I've tried retin a, Dan's bpo and a very strong 5% salicylic acid. I think sometimes your skin just needs a break!  My skin improved a lot when I give it a break for a few weeks. I just use Cerave foaming face cleanser for oily skin and witch hazel toner. Nothing else. Try giving your skin a break :)