Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Breakouts

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/18/2015 4:29 pm

Hey everyone. I finally took the plunge and started spiro. My first 30 days were @ 50 mg and now, 3 days into my second month, i'm on 100mg. Since upping my dose a few days ago, i have gotten a horrific breakout (even worse than the one i got 12 days into beginning spiro). So many pus filled pimples and red bumps. So bummed out about it. I always have many pimples on my face at any given time but this breakout is particularly inflamed. Is this normal? I have oracea which is low dose doxy but i'd prefer not to add an AB if i don't have to. I also cannot use topicals due to sensitive skin (thanks BP!)

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated.

My skin fluctuates from worse to less worse but it seems that my acne has become so much worse of spiro.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 10/20/2015 9:48 am

dont worry this is fairly normal when having your dose upped. start the oracea like stat. there is no initial breakout from antibiotics. should take a few weeks to kick in but should work fairly well for you especially if you've never taken it in the past. try to hang in there it can take months to get clear but you will get there :)

MemberMember
(@mh14)

Posted : 10/20/2015 10:24 pm

I have a question about spiro and saw palmetto working together. I just started spiro myself but am only taking 25mg/day because I'm terrified of breaking out. However, I've been taking saw palmetto for months, about 320mg per day. So am I essentially taking a higher dose of the androgen blocker? Should I bother to keep taking the saw palmetto? I never noticed a decrease in the oiliness of my skin while on it, and I still struggled with clogged pores and closed comedones. I do feel a lot less oily after only 2 weeks on spiro, however low the dose, or could that be attributed to the antibiotic I'm also on? Too many variables!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/21/2015 8:51 am

dont worry this is fairly normal when having your dose upped. start the oracea like stat. there is no initial breakout from antibiotics. should take a few weeks to kick in but should work fairly well for you especially if you've never taken it in the past. try to hang in there it can take months to get clear but you will get there :)

I reluctantly started oracea today after having another breakout on top of the one I have.  Right jawline has around ten pimples (red and inflamed papules and pustules).  I also have 8 red pimples above my lip and inner nose.  I literally have no words right now to describe how deflated I feel.  I'm wondering if it's even worth continuing on this if my skin will continue to worsen like this.  

Thanks for the encouragement Tracy

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 10/21/2015 9:00 am

yeah i would stick with it even though it sucks big time! if you keep breaking out on the oracea try the keflex. thats a heavy hitter so would probably clear that all out pretty quick but give the oracea at least a few weeks to see if it will work for you. its pretty good stuff.
your welcome and i know its so hard when your skin is a mess but just try to stay positive and go out and do things you normally do. hugs!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/21/2015 11:21 am

Thanks Tracy. I hope I don't need to go on a stronger AB as my body at 32 does not respond as well to oral meds as it did when I was 22.

i'm at a low point.:|

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 10/27/2015 9:42 am

i think you should be ok with that dosage. 100mg is the dosage that seems to work the best for most people. its so hard but you just have to give it time and the oracea should be kicking in soon as well. as long as you have never taken doxy in your life you should have good success with it but its no biggie if you have to go on another antibiotic. take it from somebody that has been on like 10 different ones they do work i can assure you of that and i am 38 :) 

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@bubbles15)

Posted : 02/29/2016 11:33 am

Tracy i sww your comment on another post... do you still use spiro for your acne? How long and how well does it work for you? R u on birth control as well?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/29/2016 4:36 pm

yup i still use it and plan to be on it pretty much forever. i have been on it since dec 2012 - love the stuff! i dont get cysts any more - i might get a small tiny spot before my period but it goes away fast and doesnt really get too inflammed or anything.
i am not on birth control

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/02/2016 8:03 pm

Hi Tracy. I feel like I haven't updated you in a while. I'm approaching my 6th month @ 100 mg and I am experiencing the worse breakouts since I have been on this drug. I don't know what's happening but it's pretty bad. Still on oracea and 100 mg. I was seeing improvement but not consistent. I'm upping to 150 mg tomorrow.....

do you think it's worth my time to try the upped dosage or call the derm for a new game plan.

i am so gutted right about now.