Notifications
Clear all

Do Vegetarians Have Acne?

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 10/17/2015 8:58 pm

Alright, let's put the diet-has-got-nothing-to-do-with-acne myth to the test once and for all. Aren't we all sick of hearing how eating more fruits and vegetables as a form of natural therapy (instead of relying on over-the-counter products) can do wonders to skin health? I believe most of us have tried the diet thingy and have seen varied results ourselves...

So, do you guys have any vegetarian/vegan friends who do not have a single spot on their face? Or perhaps their few pimples here and there are so mild you wouldn't even care? Goodness, are there even any vegetarian/vegan forummers here who can testify to the results?

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 10/18/2015 2:44 am

I was a vegetarian/pseudo vegan (for 2 years now) but now I have added fish back into my diet and I still have acne just as bad. I do believe it can help people, especially if you have digestive issues which are often linked to skin health, meat is shown to be harder to digest than plant matter for the human body. I don't know why but yes, I believe it can help acne, just not mine. If you do consider making this lifestyle chance for this reason other than ethical, keep fish in your diet as it is a great source of omega fatty acids which reduce inflammation and is high in protein. I would also say it would take up to 4 months to see results with this.
My boyfriend is vego and has good skin, but I don't think he had bad skin as a meat eater. Also youtubers freelee the banana girl abd holistichabits testify that their veganism helped clear their skin.

Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 10/19/2015 6:37 pm

Ive been vegan for about 3-4 years and that is about the time I started getting acne. I dont correlate my diet with it as a lot of things happened like stopping lithium, quitting smoking, etc. But yes, diet hasnt helped me.

MemberMember
(@xnicholemariex3)

Posted : 10/21/2015 2:40 am

I'm vegetarian and I have severe cystic acne. I am currently on my 2nd week of accutane.

MemberMember
(@vanessaxdd)

Posted : 10/21/2015 4:32 am

Bad diet can cause hormones to fluctuate which is why people with acne prone skin get breakouts.

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 10/23/2015 12:07 pm

Bad diet can cause hormones to fluctuate which is why people with acne prone skin get breakouts.

I have a great diet so that is not always the case 🙂

MemberMember
(@enragedstygian)

Posted : 10/23/2015 3:49 pm

I have been a vegan for 7 months now and my acne seemed to get better at first but now I am getting the same acne as back when I was drinking milk and taking whey protein. I am not sure if diet affects it very much. One of the main reasons I went vegan was to help with my acne but it doesnt really seem to help, even when I cut out all the fats and processed foods. frustrating. Also, here is an acne Einstein article that shows that b12 supplementation may cause acne(all vegans must supplement b12).
[removed]

that being said, it could help you. everyone reacts differently. maybe even cutting out the milk from your diet will make the difference who knows.

MemberMember
(@fade95)

Posted : 10/24/2015 7:20 am

Yes.. well at least I do. I've been vegetarian for as long as I can remember and my acne popped in someday overnight like 4 years ago. Just as enragedstygian I've also became the vegan lifestyle with the priority to get better skin but that didn't help me either :c

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/24/2015 7:26 am

Anyone subscribing to any diet can have acne.....even the 'healthiest' ones. A lot of factors go into having acne and keeping in mind that our food source today is not as great as it was decades back, even on a healthy 'acne-free' diet, you may still be dealing with this issue. The thing with diet is to take all reviews with a grain of salt at realize that YMMV. Paleo may work for one person and not for another, Raw vegan may be a disaster for one person but a miracle for another. I have done various diets and lifestyles changes, meds and supplements and guess what, still dealing with chronic acne that is almost as bad pre-accutane.

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 10/25/2015 2:06 am

On 10/24/2015 at 2:49 AM, enragedstygian said:

Also, here is an acne Einstein article that shows that b12 supplementation may cause acne(all vegans must supplement b12).
[removed]

Yup, I second that. My B12 hit absolute zero two months ago and in that time having now 3 B12 injections, my face has EXPLODED.

MemberMember
(@vanessaxdd)

Posted : 10/26/2015 11:35 am

I have a great diet so that is not always the case :)

Most people who claim to be healthy and still get acne might have a leaky gut so all the healthy foods you are eating are not being absorbed by the body and it is actually causing more harm than good. It is important to heal the gut, get blood tests done to see what foods are causing inflammation. 

MemberMember
(@noravonacne)

Posted : 10/26/2015 1:11 pm

When I became vegetarian, my acne actually got worse. I was eating more nuts for protein, but I wasn't paying attention at what nuts. Cashews are super oily and fatty, so I think that's why did it :C

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 10/26/2015 6:26 pm

Most people who claim to be healthy and still get acne might have a leaky gut so all the healthy foods you are eating are not being absorbed by the body and it is actually causing more harm than good. It is important to heal the gut, get blood tests done to see what foods are causing inflammation. 

ive been very curious of this myself. Ive had to go on antibiotics multiple times for my teeth so im sure that can have an effect. However i know that wasnt the cause of my acne since that was much later in the game. Ive had a fecal test for candida which came out normal (although im aware sometimes that doesnt matter) ive had allergy tests (im allergic to 50+ and avoid every food my whole life, partly why my diet is so clean)
I take a 60billion probiotic currently as i just finished some antibiotics for my wisdom teeth, i use to take it consistantly but it had no effect on my acne 6+ months. If you have any suggestions I am very open to it! 

MemberMember
(@gman2)

Posted : 10/26/2015 6:37 pm

Search humerus fitness on youtube. The guy is a vegan body builder who uses no supplements and his acne was so bad he was on accutane for like 77 weeks or something crazy like that.

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 10/26/2015 8:18 pm

Search humerus fitness on youtube. The guy is a vegan body builder who uses no supplements and his acne was so bad he was on accutane for like 77 weeks or something crazy like that.

This guy. I've heard about him on this forum somewhere and was curious so I followed the link that leads to his Youtube channel. I mean, okay, his face is clear but the important disclaimer is that he's on accutane (strong medical intervention). Can someone please verify whether he's still on accutane and if not, how long has he been off the drug?

I feel uneasy that he's prancing around in his videos celebrating something that isn't directly the result of a vegan diet. He's certainly eating very clean -- as can be testified in his videos that show his diet -- but take away accutane and I don't think he will be this clear. So in a way, I think his claims could be misleading.

MemberMember
(@djian)

Posted : 10/26/2015 11:47 pm

I'm not a vegetarian myself, but my friend is a vegan, she gets the zits like everyone else. Usually its because of her makeup, or when she is super stressed out. Even if you have a super healthy diet, doesn't mean they can't break out. Hoped this helped!!! GOOD LUCK! :) 

Exning liked
MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 10/27/2015 1:03 pm

Yeah people get acne for all sorts of reasons. For me, its something to do with testosterone or thyroid i believe, as those levels are off but everything else is perfect. But on the up side, vegan has fixed my brittle hair, my excema, my allergies, and overall health. So if youre still unsure of the step, know there are other benefits 🙂

Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@gman2)

Posted : 10/27/2015 1:27 pm

This guy. I've heard about him on this forum somewhere and was curious so I followed the link that leads to his Youtube channel. I mean, okay, his face is clear but the important disclaimer is that he's on accutane (strong medical intervention). Can someone please verify whether he's still on accutane and if not, how long has he been off the drug?

I feel uneasy that he's prancing around in his videos celebrating something that isn't directly the result of a vegan diet. He's certainly eating very clean -- as can be testified in his videos that show his diet -- but take away accutane and I don't think he will be this clear. So in a way, I think his claims could be misleading.

I think you misunderstood me. Iwasn't trying to say that the vegan diet cleared his acne. I was trying to prove that even people who are on these types of diets and live very healthy lifestyles can still get severe acne, which was so severe in this man's case that it required 77 weeks of treatment.

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 10/30/2015 1:38 pm

Its funny because when i went vegetarian my acne got worse. I know some people say it helps them etc. But it caused vitamin issues and i got iron deficiency from not eating enough iron (meat).

I think everything in moderation is important. As crazy as it sounds, but i find drinking milk after my period is over doesnt affect me in any way. It only breaks me out when i drink it and im close to my period.

just for future reference, there are tons of plant sourced iron, it is not just found in meat. Heres some more info on that: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 10/30/2015 5:41 pm

Its funny because when i went vegetarian my acne got worse. I know some people say it helps them etc. But it caused vitamin issues and i got iron deficiency from not eating enough iron (meat).

I think everything in moderation is important. As crazy as it sounds, but i find drinking milk after my period is over doesnt affect me in any way. It only breaks me out when i drink it and im close to my period.

just for future reference, there are tons of plant sourced iron, it is not just found in meat. Heres some more info on that: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

thanks heaps!! But at this point none of that works including meat. I have to take tablets until it gets balanced and then I'll look into that! 🙂