Red Face 2 Years In...

Notifications
Clear all

Red Face 2 Years Into Regimen

MemberMember
(@tophat44)

Posted : 10/17/2015 2:26 pm

It's been nearly two years since I started the regimen, and no, this is not a success story (bummer, right?).

Here's my problem, my face is STILL red. The difference in skin tone between my face and my neck is super obvious. Neck skin is a slight tan and my face is a tomato. Gross. Last week I dropped from 1 pump morning and night to just under half a pump. Very slight reduction in redness.

I'm still suffering from acne but I've "given up" on being 110% clear all the time, the regimen for the time being gets me close enough (I'm a 17 y/o male whose parents had acne...can't complain to much). What I want to know is has anyone been on the regimen this long and is still suffering from redness?

Even if you're not a regimen user, does anyone have any tips, ticks, or products to help tone down the redness?

MemberMember
(@thenatural)

Posted : 10/17/2015 7:47 pm

You might be a bit sensitive to the benzoyl peroxide. I used to use A LOT of it and twice a day, then went to once a day, and then finally use much less (1 pump) benzoyl peroxide... but only in the evening.

The moisturizer didn't help much for me, so I use Aloe Vera. That also had a great effect at reducing inflammation (red face).

I also noticed that when the sun hits my face during the day (everyday sunny here) and if I have benzoyl peroxide on, it makes my face very red, so that's the reason I only do it in the evening before bed. I might be a little sensitive to it, so that's another reason I only do it at night.

I do use other things, but aloe vera seems to be good at reducing inflammation and the red marks from previous acne.

The only way to figure it out is by trial and error. That's how I figured out the amount of benzoyl peroxide, what moisturizer to fix the redness and dryness, when to use the benzoyl peroxide, etc.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 10/19/2015 10:02 am

Do you use the Acne.org moisturizer? Sometimes depending on your skin type and the climate of where you live and what you do affects redness.

MemberMember
(@tophat44)

Posted : 10/19/2015 6:33 pm

Do you use the Acne.org moisturizer? Sometimes depending on your skin type and the climate of where you live and what you do affects redness.

Iactuallydo not. Used it for about the first month when I first started the regimen, hated it. I'm weary to go back on it because the reviews for it are terrible, but does it help with the redness?

The moisturizer didn't help much for me, so I use Aloe Vera. That also had a great effect at reducing inflammation (red face).

I don't know if my face is ready to go cold turkey on BP.Afraidthat would cause some massive breakouts, took me long time to get to where I am now. I like the idea of aloe vera, I will look into that.

MemberMember
(@kotaw)

Posted : 10/22/2015 11:16 am

I have the same exact problem, there's nothing better then people telling me I look like a tomato :|, I got a moisturizer and sunblock from Eucerin that is specifically made to reduce redness. The moisturizer I use at night, and it seems to have a pretty good effect, and then for added protection the sunblock has a green tint that apparently helps stop the redness. 

Member Customer Service
(@acne-org-support)

Posted : 10/22/2015 1:48 pm

It's been nearly two years since I started the regimen, and no, this is not a success story (bummer, right?).

Here's my problem, my face is STILL red. The difference in skin tone between my face and my neck is super obvious. Neck skin is a slight tan and my face is a tomato. Gross. Last week I dropped from 1 pump morning and night to just under half a pump. Very slight reduction in redness.

I'm still suffering from acne but I've "given up" on being 110% clear all the time, the regimen for the time being gets me close enough (I'm a 17 y/o male whose parents had acne...can't complain to much). What I want to know is has anyone been on the regimen this long and is still suffering from redness?

Even if you're not a regimen user, does anyone have any tips, ticks, or products to help tone down the redness?

Hi TopHat44,

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering redness due to The Regimen.We would recommend that you use the Moisturizer as often as possible preferably every 4-6 hours to soothe your skin. The Lichocalcone in the Moisturizer has been proven to be very effective in calming down redness.

You may also start slowly once again with The Regimen by using only a pea sized amount of the Benzoyl Peroxide and then gradually increasing the dosage until your skin is fully accustomed to the product.

If you have a tendency to stay under the sun for long periods of time,we would recommend that you use sunscreen with an spf of 20 or more for full protection on your skin. For more information on sunscreens kindly visit our sunscreen page by using the link provided below:

http://www.acne.org/spf-sunscreen.html

If you have any further questions or inquiries, feel free to contact us at any time.

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 10/22/2015 9:33 pm

Epiology cream is a great complementary product for anyone with redness from other acne OTCs or prescription meds. It's moisturising and helps reduce redness.

MemberMember
(@codypnw)

Posted : 10/22/2015 11:01 pm

I had the same problem with the regime. What I did to reduce it was follow the steps exactly. I would apply the BP about 5-10 minutes after showering. I used a thin layer of BP in the morning and a bit more at night. I would wait at least 20 minutes to put the moisturizer on. If you apply it before the BP is absorbed that could be causing the redness(I was told it's the BP and the glycol ingredientreacting). I also make sure to apply it twice. Making sure the second time the first layer is fully absorbed. Also I saw someone talk about aloe vera. I would try that! My face looked great when using that but didn't moisturize it enough. Just make sure you get one without all the crazyingredients.

TopHat44 liked
MemberMember
(@tophat44)

Posted : 10/24/2015 4:12 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions and tips, as far as my face goes I have a quick update:

Switched from a gel based cleanser to a foaming based. I am now using CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser morning and night. My face feels noticeably less 'tight' between cleansing and applying BP and I don't have a beard of flakes. Face is a little less red, I've only been using it for three days so the judgement is still out on it. For a moisturizer I think I am going to switch from my trusty DML lotion to a aloe vera based cream. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as that goes? I think it could go a long way in calming my face.

I have the same exact problem, there's nothing better then people telling me I look like a tomato :|, I got a moisturizer and sunblock from Eucerin that is specifically made to reduce redness. The moisturizer I use at night, and it seems to have a pretty good effect, and then for added protection the sunblock has a green tint that apparently helps stop the redness. 

I'm actually eyeing their day and night creams they sell that combats redness. Were they really that effective in fighting redness? Reviews seem pretty decent.

Epiology cream is a great complementary product for anyone with redness from other acne OTCs or prescription meds.  It's moisturising and helps reduce redness.

Can you send me the link? Can't seem to find it.

MemberMember
(@kotaw)

Posted : 10/25/2015 1:24 am

Thank you all for the suggestions and tips, as far as my face goes I have a quick update:

Switched from a gel based cleanser to a foaming based. I am now using CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser morning and night. My face feels noticeably less 'tight' between cleansing and applying BP and I don't have a beard of flakes. Face is a little less red, I've only been using it for three days so the judgement is still out on it. For a moisturizer I think I am going to switch from my trusty DML lotion to a aloe vera based cream. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as that goes? I think it could go a long way in calming my face.

I'm actually eyeing their day and night creams they sell that combats redness. Were they really that effective in fighting redness? Reviews seem pretty decent.

Epiology cream is a great complementary product for anyone with redness from other acne OTCs or prescription meds.  It's moisturising and helps reduce redness.

Can you send me the link? Can't seem to find it.

To be totally honest it's hard for me to tell how effective the night cream is for reducing redness. My family has told me it helps a lot, but for me personally I find it hard to notice because my face doesn't get red until I'm in the sunlight. That being said, it is still one of the best face moisturizers I have used, regardless of it's redness relief. The daytime sunblock makes a noticeable difference. They can both be picked up for fairly cheap at most drug stores, so I would give them a shot before going for something a bit more expensive. 

MemberMember
(@hopefulina)

Posted : 10/26/2015 7:55 pm

I realize that acne.org does not reccommend adding other products in, but I was in the same situation. I knew I was not allergic to the bp but the redness and dryness and flakiness stayed. It got to a point where I was scratching my face to get the dead skin off because the moisturizer does NOT help. I got a slight reaction from it and contacted my dermatologist. She perscribed me triamcinolone acetonide 0.1. I only put it on the areas with redness for 10 days and ever since then my skin has been clear (the medication did not make me breakout) and theres basically no red on my face, dryness, or itchiness. The only redness is that of the scars but they are a lightish pink now. I really understand how frustrating it can be. Maybe talk to your health care provider as you've been on the regime for 2 years and your basically clear.... I get a breakout here and there as well and have accepted it because the redness and dryness is finally overwith, it isnt so bad.