Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can money fix severe scarring?

I myself have acne scarring (all types) on my cheeks of my face. They are not the worst i've seen but i consider them pretty bad. - bad enough to affect my life
That being said, if money wasn't a factor - can all scarring be removed? 
Like paying for the best dermatologists / surgeons in the world, i don't know how to put this question but say one has millions of dollars. They are unhappy with their skin on their cheeks - i know many people with acne scars don't have a lot of money to spend on treatments / surgery but if money wasn't a factor could all acne scarring be removed? or at least get a 80 - 90 % difference? Money being the key factor in this question 

Edited by Guest

My answer is a "qualified" yes.  From age 19 to about 44 my scars were extensive and those flat large dark scars on my cheeks with lots of icepick scars.  Many people shunned me.  I am a white female, now 71.  My boyfriend of the last 10 years once asked me if I ever had acne, he was not talking about scars, he really was just asking about acne.  I had:

1 light dermabrasion (age 20) - no change
1 deep dermabrasion (age 27) - improvement but all still there, along with lots of pigmentation problems
1 facelift (age 44)  perfectly smooth for about 6 months, then much better but still could see the big flat things much of the time, not as deep, ice pick scars went away bit I have no idea of why
2nd facelift (age 57)  way better, no longer bothered me,  maybe some residue of scars after about 12 years but people actually thought I was attractive.  I started the use of those roller deems whenever I thought I saw scars and that solved the problem, but rollerderm does not work on wrinkles.  
3rd facelift (age 70)  this one was for wrinkles, only.  That was a year ago and I honestly cannot see any scars, not even when I get caught in the car mirror etc. 

Thecost was not that much for all of this and it was scattered over a lifetime.  And, I got better and better every decade.  I don't think I missed much in life even though it was to me my worst problem in life.

Several subcisions for deep scaring plus several resurfacing (laser, peels, dermabrasion) for shallow scarring and evening out, several pdl for discoloration problems and finally several fillers for filling in irregularities that subcison couldn't correct.

I'd say 90% is probable over time.

2-4 subcisions, 1-2 resurfacing and 2-5 rounds of permanent filler by an extremely experienced derm/surgeon would get you close...this is assuming your face looks like this (notice the fat loss on left cheek)
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=severe+scarring&view=detailv2&&id=7BFEDFD5990E4F4B27F46225BF6775E3FE6AE300&selectedIndex=53&ccid=2BYz2STe&simid=608018416110536461&thid=OIP.Md81633d924dee7f3bd18fa8da967ff48H0&ajaxhist=0

Subcision suction + pdls + occasional needling sessions made a huge difference for me, however. You could look into that in the meantime. 

Edited by Robertitoo

Damn Robertitoo you'd make one good dermatologist. But yeah I don't even think you'd need that much money. Have you Mr. Matts before and after pictures? They're probably the best results in this entire forum. 

Edited by Tadamasa
Thought he had icepicks but only rolling

Agreed.  Mr Matt's photos are truly only one of a few with photos that are standardized.  He really made the pictures as honest as possible by using mostly the same lighting and angles.  His results are excellent and in my mind, and probably to most objective viewers, he looks essentially cured of scarring.  He achieved this with "cheap" techniques, namely subcision and chemical peels.  

Coklar, it's so fascinating to hear from an older person's experience with acne scarring.  Seems like after the surgeries, you are functionally "cured."

Obviously where you start out will determine how dramatically things could be improved.  There are certain types of scars that can be drastically improved.  Rolling scars with normal overlying skin and no sharp borders can be subcised and / or filled.  Ice pick scars, depending on who you ask, are more challenging.  Although, if you ask Dr. Davin Lim in Australia, he thinks that TCA Cross makes ice pick scars the easiest to improve.  For me, the most challenging kind of scarring is textural scars like widespread boxcars with sharp shoulders where the skin just looks rough and ragged.  These are extremely hard to improve.  

This is the most difficult to improve.  Note how almost all of the skin of the face is affected.  
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=severe+scarring&view=detailv2&id=CD494AE7EFB108B2ADF420AB43BE47E694627B77&selectedindex=84&ccid=OpySOxPh&simid=608003413787872209&thid=OIP.M3a9c923b13e1b27545ac43da0c373057o0&ajaxhist=0&first=1

Edited by blahblah82

Stem cells heal scars. If you have the money get a stem cell face lift done if possible in Europe.

Robertitoo, I admire how optimistic you are. I truly do. However, what qualifies you to make a statement like this: "2-4 subcisions, 1-2 resurfacing and 2-5 rounds of permanent filler by an extremely experienced derm/surgeon would get you close...this is assuming your face looks like this (notice the fat loss on left cheek)"?

I know you try to help people and I am grateful for that. In all my research on acne scars, I have never heard of such a thing as you are describing. I myself have undergone 2 subcisions with suctioning and have had minimal if any results. I just don't know how you can say with such confidence that what you say is "probable". Please enlighten me?

Several subcisions for deep scaring plus several resurfacing (laser, peels, dermabrasion) for shallow scarring and evening out, several pdl for discoloration problems and finally several fillers for filling in irregularities that subcison couldn't correct.

I'd say 90% is probable over time.

2-4 subcisions, 1-2 resurfacing and 2-5 rounds of permanent filler by an extremely experienced derm/surgeon would get you close...this is assuming your face looks like this (notice the fat loss on left cheek)
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=severe+scarring&view=detailv2&&id=7BFEDFD5990E4F4B27F46225BF6775E3FE6AE300&selectedIndex=53&ccid=2BYz2STe&simid=608018416110536461&thid=OIP.Md81633d924dee7f3bd18fa8da967ff48H0&ajaxhist=0

Subcision suction + pdls + occasional needling sessions made a huge difference for me, however. You could look into that in the meantime. 

Robertitoo, I admire how optimistic you are. I truly do. However, what qualifies you to make a statement like this [...] I myself have undergone 2 subcisions with suctioning and have had minimal if any results.

+1

Edited by Emhfali

what lies.... there is no cure really. I have spent 3000 on rollers, infini, fraxel, needling, subcision and the only thing that makes some difference are excisions, but they leave another scar

My answer is a "qualified" yes.  From age 19 to about 44 my scars were extensive and those flat large dark scars on my cheeks with lots of icepick scars.  Many people shunned me.  I am a white female, now 71.  My boyfriend of the last 10 years once asked me if I ever had acne, he was not talking about scars, he really was just asking about acne.  I had:

1 deep dermabrasion (age 27) - improvement but all still there, along with lots of pigmentation problems
1 facelift (age 44)  perfectly smooth for about 6 months, then much better but still could see the big flat things much of the time, not as deep, ice pick scars went away bit I have no idea of why
2nd facelift (age 57)  way better, no longer bothered me,  maybe some residue of scars after about 12 years but people actually thought I was attractive.  I started the use of those roller deems whenever I thought I saw scars and that solved the problem, but rollerderm does not work on wrinkles.  
3rd facelift (age 70)  this one was for wrinkles, only.  That was a year ago and I honestly cannot see any scars, not even when I get caught in the car mirror etc. 

Thecost was not that much for all of this and it was scattered over a lifetime.  And, I got better and better every decade.  I don't think I missed much in life even though it was to me my worst problem in life.

Interesting post.  My next step is a facelift.  I think that multiple kinds of treatments may be the best answer.  My question is why actors like Brad Pitt and Ray Liotta still have scars?

No, it can't always fix it. Everyone on these boards preach that this product works, and needling will get rid of your scars, and subcision is gold, but that's not always the case. There are instances where they may work well for someone's scarring, but I don't think that is the norm. There are very few examples on the site of people being happy that there scarring is gone. I know I'm being pessimistic, but I just don't want you to get your hopes up that you will be able to fix severe scarring, because that's very rare. But you should definitely experiment with all of the said procedures and hope they work, because you never know. 

In my opinion to the original post. The answer is NO. Money definitely is NOT the magical key of success. Obviously, if you have lots of money, you have more opportunities to get as many treatments as you possibly like, and time off to recover etc isn't a problem.

But....there's a good number of multi-millionaires with acne scarring, and you can see on TV shows, interviews etc that it bothers them to a certain extent. If money was the answer, they'd have done it and probably even sold their story for publicity/ monetary gain.

Interesting post.  My next step is a facelift.  I think that multiple kinds of treatments may be the best answer.  My question is why actors like Brad Pitt and Ray Liotta still have scars?

Maybe because it hurts really bad to remove them. Some people might not think it is worth it. Actually, when I did it now I'm just sad because I think I need to do this to be accepted and that is bullshit. They rock their scars, or wear them proudly and it works. It is definitely less painful to do that then go through so much time, patience, and pain to remove them. 

More than money I think it is a matter of dedication. Some have it, some can't be bothered to go through so much time and pain for it. So if you want it really bad? Sure you can get rid off it. You can do anything, but it will not be totally easy. Some might put in to the extent where they feel okay with them and stop just because it's too much work. I will fall into that category, I'll do enough then just stop. I won't go looking for perfection, it's a waste of time. 

Edited by il90

Thanks for sharing that Facebook post.

I've been looking into bellafill - and also just recently heard of artefill. I reckon they'd work well on my temples. Need to do more research on places in the UK to have it done.

Ok, I see, thanks. It's just when I was reading last night online some DRs suggested never use bellafill in the temple area, then others said the best area that Artefill works is in the temples. So I thought they were different products.

This whole finding the right info about treatments online is a real HF. 

with money you definaly can improve alot your scars to the point of get back your self esteem but you will need a good surgeon and alot of time.
And i think in the next 10 years we will see alot of things beeing discovery and possible cures for acne scarring, stretch marks, hair loss, burn scars, etc, i dont count with it either. Im very skeptical and pessimist person but its obviously seeing all those breakthrougs and studies about stem cells, human genes and DNA that in the future of any kind of scars, hairloss, acne, alot of skin diseas, vitiligo, probably will not be a concern like it is today