Notifications
Clear all

Low Dose Accutane Users (10 mg only) Please Help!

MemberMember
(@brainslushee)

Posted : 10/14/2015 11:51 pm

Hi, Acne.org!

This will be my first time posting in the acne.org forums. I have a question for the 10 mg Accutane users. I'm very concerned about the low dose treatment being effective long-term for me. I've been taking the 10 mg per day for exactly two months today (2015-10-14), and will be starting my third pack for 10 mg tomorrow (2015-10-15).

I cannot find anything on the long term effects of 10 mg, and it's driving me crazy - generally all I can find are the people who have just started the 10 mg, or who've been on it for roughly the same amount of time as I. Not much help at all. ):

My questions are: Did Accutane (10 mg) still virtually clear your acne post-treatment? Did you have any kind of relapse AFTER the 6 month period after 10 mg? Was 10 mg of Accutane dramatically effective for you? Should I consider asking my doctor to raise the dose to 20 mg a day?

Side note: I have reached the end of the two month period where the acne is expected to get worse, so now it is expected to get better into my third month (if everything goes the way it's meant to go.) I am seeing beneficial effects already - my skin does not get as oily after 14 hour wear of make-up, and when it does, the oil is very light and not problematic. I'm still seeing what I can only guess are very, very small closed comedones that haven't come to a head yet, coming up from my cheeks, but those have lessened although some remain. Any problematic acne (such as an open/squeezed papules and nodules) heal quickly, but red scars are difficult to get rid of. My acne is moderate (20-100 blackheads/whiteheads, 15-50 inflamed bumps, 30-125 total lesions). In summary, I've seen results already with the 10 mg. I understand my acne could be much worse, but I want the long term results of Accutane more than anything - I want to be able to touch my face again without pain, and I want to be able to spend less money on cosmetics, and I'd really rather not do a second dose of Accutane.

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 10/15/2015 1:39 pm

Hi, Acne.org!

This will be my first time posting in the acne.org forums. I have a question for the 10 mg Accutane users. I'm very concerned about the low dose treatment being effective long-term for me. I've been taking the 10 mg per day for exactly two months today (2015-10-14), and will be starting my third pack for 10 mg tomorrow (2015-10-15).

I cannot find anything on the long term effects of 10 mg, and it's driving me crazy - generally all I can find are the people who have just started the 10 mg, or who've been on it for roughly the same amount of time as I. Not much help at all. ):

My questions are: Did Accutane (10 mg) still virtually clear your acne post-treatment? Did you have any kind of relapse AFTER the 6 month period after 10 mg? Was 10 mg of Accutane dramatically effective for you? Should I consider asking my doctor to raise the dose to 20 mg a day?

Side note: I have reached the end of the two month period where the acne is expected to get worse, so now it is expected to get better into my third month (if everything goes the way it's meant to go.) I am seeing beneficial effects already - my skin does not get as oily after 14 hour wear of make-up, and when it does, the oil is very light and not problematic. I'm still seeing what I can only guess are very, very small closed comedones that haven't come to a head yet, coming up from my cheeks, but those have lessened although some remain. Any problematic acne (such as an open/squeezed papules and nodules) heal quickly, but red scars are difficult to get rid of. My acne is moderate (20-100 blackheads/whiteheads, 15-50 inflamed bumps, 30-125 total lesions). In summary, I've seen results already with the 10 mg. I understand my acne could be much worse, but I want the long term results of Accutane more than anything - I want to be able to touch my face again without pain, and I want to be able to spend less money on cosmetics, and I'd really rather not do a second dose of Accutane.

Hi, I'm no expert but from the research I've seen online.....low dosage treatments seem to workjust as well as a higher dosage....but normally the treatment will need to be over amuch longer time period, to make sure, you've taken enough mg in total to stop any relapse. I'm on20mg a day (in week 5) but I'm male and around 88kg (190lbs) ....whichisa "low dosage" for my weight......I did a 6month standard treatment about 7years ago and it worked great but my oily, over active glands returned about 12-18months after treatment..which is why I'm now doing a 2nd course to help reduce my pores and control my oily skin.....I only have very mild acneand havedecided to doa low dosage treatment but over a longer period,to keep side effects as mild as possible....As I've already done a 6month course, I'm hoping to stay on thislow dosage during the whole time on accutanebut extend the period of treatment to 8-10months to make sure I stillaccumulated the right amount of accutane (mg) during treatment....I think it really is up to you and how you feel during treatment....6months on a higher dosage or low dose over a longer period?? Every situation is different so only you know whats best for you......best wishes