Notifications
Clear all

post accutane- help

MemberMember
(@disarmingzeal)

Posted : 10/14/2015 11:27 am

Hi

I really need some advice -bear with me as I tell you my history. 

Female-age 25. Started getting acne when i was 14 and continued to have acne despite ll the antibiotics, face creams etc. 
I finally felt at rock bottom so went on isotretinoin around 2 years ago which worked wonders for me. Was on it for about half a year and I was clear for a year and a half and it felt amazing to finally not worry about people seeing me without makeup etc.
I then had an indian head massage and the therapist put grape seed oil on my face without my consent!!!! 
I consequently broke out after this and 3 months on I am still sufffering- lots of spots under the skin and small on surface- a few cysts but no where near as many as i had before my accutane course.  
I believe my skin would still be fine had she not had done this to me. 
I went to derm and they said it looks like the oil has  triggered the acne to come back :( - literally wish i never had that stupid massage. 
I am now on doxycycline but dont think its working. (derm put me on it for 6 weeks im on week 4)

My questions:

-Do i need another round of isotretinoin?
-will it work on my acne now if it is acne caused by some sort of reaction?
- does isotrtinoin has less effect each time you take it (some people say yes on here but then some dermatologists say some people need a second course so this contradicts this?)
- can it make your skin worse after second course and if so how is this possible?
- it worked so well the first time and as i think its only the oil tht has bought the acne back, is there a good chance it will work again for me?

WHAT can I do ? I feel hopeless - after a year and a half of clear skin and I know i would still be ok had I not had this oil put on me :(

any help much appreciated - acne is so upsetting x

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/14/2015 12:22 pm

A reaction should not last for three months of you are not still using the offending product. I would not immediately jump back on accutane before trying a topical or two. Sometimes topical work better after a course of tane than they would before. Antibiotics alone are never a good course of action as they can't be taken long term and they hard the body in the long run. Speak to your derm about topical options before going the accutane route.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/14/2015 12:24 pm

A reaction should not last for three months of you are not still using the offending product. I would not immediately jump back on accutane before trying a topical or two. Sometimes topical work better after a course of tane than they would before. Antibiotics alone are never a good course of action as they can't be taken long term and they hard the body in the long run. Speak to your derm about topical options before going the accutane route.

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 10/14/2015 1:24 pm

I think a reaction can indeed last for three months. I had pretty bad acne in high school then a couple of years out i decided to try some things for red marks..I went crazy with different products reccomended on this site and started breaking out like a mad man...i stopped everything for aproxomitaley three months and the acne just kept coming...getting worse and worse until i finally went on accutane.

MemberMember
(@disarmingzeal)

Posted : 10/14/2015 1:28 pm

Has anyone been on twice and had success?
I also have pcos so my derm said that I may need two rounds anyway.
I don't understand why derms would say two rounds may be needed if making it worse is the case.

(I get my prescription for cheap so i doubt it would be for money) I get it on nhs

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 10/14/2015 6:44 pm

Hi

I really need some advice -bear with me as I tell you my history. 

Female-age 25. Started getting acne when i was 14 and continued to have acne despite ll the antibiotics, face creams etc. 
I finally felt at rock bottom so went on isotretinoin around 2 years ago which worked wonders for me. Was on it for about half a year and I was clear for a year and a half and it felt amazing to finally not worry about people seeing me without makeup etc.
I then had an indian head massage and the therapist put grape seed oil on my face without my consent!!!! 
I consequently broke out after this and 3 months on I am still sufffering- lots of spots under the skin and small on surface- a few cysts but no where near as many as i had before my accutane course.  
I believe my skin would still be fine had she not had done this to me. 
I went to derm and they said it looks like the oil has  triggered the acne to come back :( - literally wish i never had that stupid massage. 
I am now on doxycycline but dont think its working. (derm put me on it for 6 weeks im on week 4)

My questions:

-Do i need another round of isotretinoin?
-will it work on my acne now if it is acne caused by some sort of reaction?
- does isotrtinoin has less effect each time you take it (some people say yes on here but then some dermatologists say some people need a second course so this contradicts this?)
- can it make your skin worse after second course and if so how is this possible?
- it worked so well the first time and as i think its only the oil tht has bought the acne back, is there a good chance it will work again for me?

WHAT can I do ? I feel hopeless - after a year and a half of clear skin and I know i would still be ok had I not had this oil put on me :(

any help much appreciated - acne is so upsetting x

Hi, I'm doing a 2nd course of accutane at present (started 5 weeks ago on 20mg a day) I first used accutane 7 years ago after years of creams/antibiotics etc and in the end I felt the antibiotics made my skin worse as my body built up a resistance....Antibiotics are good for a short term fix but dont always help long term.....The first course of accutane (7 years ago) worked great and only have very mild acne now but my very oily skin returned so I'm taking accutane again to help reduce my pores and control my over active glands....In my opinion, a 2nd course might be a good move....and unlike antibiotics, the body doesnt build up a resistence so no reason why it cant work great for you a 2nd time.....I think you should also find the treatment easier this time as you know what to expect (dry lips/ dry skin).best wishes with whatever you decide!