Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone / Yasmin Initial Breakout

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 10/12/2015 5:36 am

I appreciate this has probably been posted a million times but I can't find a recent post about this.

Acne/Med History
I have always suffered with hormonal acne which was controlled for many many years by Dianette. I was taken off Dianne due to mental health issues and put on several different antibiotics (lymecycline/minocycline). After doubling the dose the doctor gave me, my acne was 'manageable' but I then developed loads of tiny spots all over my forehead (which I had never experienced before in my life), massive pores on forehead and around nose, excessively greasy. Also during this period - from December 2014 to June/July 2015, I noticed my skin seemed thicker, particularly on my forehead. It wasn't red or anything, just thicker. Maybe leathery. I feel I have aged a good few years in 6 months. I do not believe it is rosacea. Can antibiotics cause premature ageing? I'm 33.

Present Day
Started on Yasmin a few months back. Currently, 5 days into 3rd cycle and have taken no breaks in packets.
Started on Spiro 2 weeks and 2 days ago.

I got the dreaded initial breakout on Yasmin about 2/3 weeks in. I broke out in tiny bumps with a few cysts here and there all over my back and chest and face. Oil production reduced significantly. Skin was still bad when I started Spiro and I appear to be having an initial breakout on these too. I'm worried about scarring for the first time in my life. I have massive pustules, mainly on cheeks. Still covered in tiny bumps, there must be hundreds! The one positive I have noted since Spiro is the skin on my forehead is not as thick. The lines are less pronounced so I guess it's doing something.

However, my skin is at an all time low. It is the worst it has ever been. Everyone close to me has commented that it is the worst they have ever seen it.

So my questions are as follows:

How long were your initial breakouts on Yasmin?

How long were your initial breakouts on Spiro?

When should I expect to start seeing improvements?

Advice on when I should stop if not seeing improvements?

I'm at my wits end. I feel after nearly 3 months it should be improving if only very slightly but it's just getting worse and worse.

Please, any advice would be amazing x

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/12/2015 2:04 pm

Hi. I've never been on yaz but I'm almost a month into spiro at 50mg and my skin has not improved and continues to get acne daily -2-3. It looks dry, red and just overall gross. So you're not alone in getting worse skin on spiro. From what I've read, it is not unusual to keep on breaking out up until 4-6 months on spiro, especially if you're at a low dosage.
In regards to when to give up. If you really want to cross it off your list, you have to be prepared to wait it out. I say wait till you've been on spiro at least 4 months before evaluating.

stay strong as you're not alone.

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 10/14/2015 3:04 pm

Hi. I've never been on yaz but I'm almost a month into spiro at 50mg and my skin has not improved and continues to get acne daily -2-3. It looks dry, red and just overall gross. So you're not alone in getting worse skin on spiro. From what I've read, it is not unusual to keep on breaking out up until 4-6 months on spiro, especially if you're at a low dosage.
In regards to when to give up. If you really want to cross it off your list, you have to be prepared to wait it out. I say wait till you've been on spiro at least 4 months before evaluating.

stay strong as you're not alone.

Hey, thanks for responding. I didn't get a notification hence why I've not replied straight away.

I dont think I can hold out4-6 months ofbreaking out like this. If it doesn't start to improve after a month I'll stop and continue ok theyasmin as I'm on my 3rd cycle of that already.

Thanks for your reply. It's really hard. People done understand how much it affects my daily life.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/14/2015 6:51 pm

I agree. Unless you've had acne, you really don't get it. I hear you on stopping but you've come this far already. Do you wear makeup on a daily basis? I go makeup free and girl , it's horrible. Keep on keeping on. I have a spiro log on real self website so if you're interested in reading it, let me know and i'll send you the link in a pm.

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 10/15/2015 1:09 pm

I agree.  Unless you've had acne, you really don't get it. I hear you on stopping but you've come this far already.  Do you wear makeup on a daily basis?  I go makeup free and girl , it's horrible.   Keep on keeping on.  I have a spiro log on real self website so if you're interested in reading it, let me know and i'll send you the link in a pm.

I don't wear make up as it just makes my skin look worse tbh. Kind of given up trying to cover it. No point. Yeah that would be great if you could send me the link. Thank you :)

MemberMember
(@fabmine)

Posted : 11/02/2015 3:35 pm

I agree.  Unless you've had acne, you really don't get it. I hear you on stopping but you've come this far already.  Do you wear makeup on a daily basis?  I go makeup free and girl , it's horrible.   Keep on keeping on.  I have a spiro log on real self website so if you're interested in reading it, let me know and i'll send you the link in a pm.

I don't wear make up as it just makes my skin look worse tbh. Kind of given up trying to cover it. No point. Yeah that would be great if you could send me the link. Thank you :)

could I have the link to your spiro log to? It helps to know that other girls feel the way I do right now. Here is a picture of what my face looks like right. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 11/03/2015 3:11 am

could I have the link to your spiro log to? It helps to know that other girls feel the way I do right now. Here is a picture of what my face looks like right. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

hey, how long have you been taking spiro for? I wish my skin would be as clear as yours right now! Here's mine today. I'm about 6 weeks in to spiro 

20151103_080631.jpg

20151103_080756.jpg

20151103_080637.jpg

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 11/04/2015 10:59 am

Hey, luanndanielle!

It's been almost 2 months that I'm using spiro and my skin is like a roller coaster: sometimes is amazing, sometimes is horrible. Right now, I'm on the nightmare side, with 1 active, huge and painfull cyst on my face. :( I'm trying to stay calm and not look on the mirror too much...

Are you using topicals on your skin? I'm using some creams on my face and they're helping my acne go away faster. I guess if our acne is hormonal, the best we can do is wait until our hormones are balanced -- and, in the meantime, try to avoid some sorts of food that can worse our skin (like dairy, soy and excessive red meat) and drink a lot of water.
Our acne will get better, stay positive! :) 

leelowe1, I would love to have the link to your spiro log too!

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 11/05/2015 3:47 pm

Hey, luanndanielle!

It's been almost 2 months that I'm using spiro and my skin is like a roller coaster: sometimes is amazing, sometimes is horrible. Right now, I'm on the nightmare side, with 1 active, huge and painfull cyst on my face. :( I'm trying to stay calm and not look on the mirror too much...

Are you using topicals on your skin? I'm using some creams on my face and they're helping my acne go away faster. I guess if our acne is hormonal, the best we can do is wait until our hormones are balanced -- and, in the meantime, try to avoid some sorts of food that can worse our skin (like dairy, soy and excessive red meat) and drink a lot of water.
Our acne will get better, stay positive! :) 

leelowe1, I would love to have the link to your spiro log tooh

Hey I'm 6 weeks in now and I think I'm finally starting too see improvements. I haven't had to squeeze any spots at all this evening and that's like a miracle right now! Keeping the faith now and excited for the future! 

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 11/05/2015 4:29 pm

Good for you! I'm Near two months but still struggling. On the verge of another breakout. Keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 11/06/2015 10:40 pm

Now that's a good news!

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 11/10/2015 10:21 am

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update. I'm just over 6 weeks in (I'm guessing I counted the dates wrong on my last post).

Things are steadily improving. Day by day, I see a difference now. It started to improve about 5 days ago I think and has been getting better everyday. Fingers crossed!

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 12/21/2015 5:22 am

Hey ladies 

Just wanted to give you all an update. I am now 12 weeks on Spiro; 19 weeks on Yasmin and this is my skin today.

I can't tell you how happy I am. It looks worse than it is. My skin is so soft and the red marks you see I think are just scars. I am going to try some at-home Glycolic Peels for the mild scars/sun damage/blackheads on nose. 

My wrinkles on my forehead are vastly improved although I am still wrinkly around my eyes much to my dismay.

I wanted to quit so badly but I am so happy I persevered. If your problem is hormonal acne, then this is worth a shot. 

:) xx

Skin.jpg

skin 2.jpg

MemberMember
(@montanaskigirl)

Posted : 12/21/2015 10:04 am

I do have another tip for you. Try applying your differin gel and wait an hour before applying your moisturizer. Even just 30 minutes helps.

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 12/21/2015 10:37 am

32 minutes ago, montanaskigirl said:

I do have another tip for you. Try applying your differin gel and wait an hour before applying your moisturizer. Even just 30 minutes helps.

I don't use differin gel

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 01/07/2016 3:18 pm

Pictures aren't greatest quality but I wanted to post an update for you all.

You can see my skin is significantly improved now. Not perfect, having a minor breakout of small pimples but I did a quick glycolic acid peel the other day so maybe it's that.

I will document my skin progress in the peels for the mild scaring/red marks and sun damage.

Hope your journeys are going well 🙂

20160107_201029.jpg

20160107_201058.jpg

MemberMember
(@cfox1027)

Posted : 01/12/2016 4:58 pm

Hey I am new to posting on this board but have been reading it for a long time. I have been on Yasmin for several years, was on Yaz for many years before that as well. In the last year I have had an increase in acne and oil production on my face and also hair loss (recently diagnosed with PCOS at 28...) so my endocrinologist put me on spironolactone. I am currently on Yasmin and 100 mg of spironolactone (for the last month). I haven't really noticed any difference in the oil production (only maybe slightly better but my face is still like an oil slick) and have had an increase in breakouts- I would get the painful cysts only every once in a while before but now have had several over the last couple of weeks. Its frustrating as I'm sure y'all know to get a new painful cyst almost every other day and now also on my back as well.

My first question is... What dose of spironolactone are you on?

And also I'm guessing this is an initial breakout and I should try to stick it out longer? My face is definitely worse than it was before I started the Spironolactone. Really the oiliness was the biggest issue with only minor breakouts but now I'm getting the painful, cysts that leave marks. Any suggestions?? I also use Epiduo and have been for several years.

Thanks for your help!

Courtney

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 01/13/2016 5:59 am

12 hours ago, cfox1027 said:

Hey I am new to posting on this board but have been reading it for a long time. I have been on Yasmin for several years, was on Yaz for many years before that as well. In the last year I have had an increase in acne and oil production on my face and also hair loss (recently diagnosed with PCOS at 28...) so my endocrinologist put me on spironolactone. I am currently on Yasmin and 100 mg of spironolactone (for the last month). I haven't really noticed any difference in the oil production (only maybe slightly better but my face is still like an oil slick) and have had an increase in breakouts- I would get the painful cysts only every once in a while before but now have had several over the last couple of weeks. Its frustrating as I'm sure y'all know to get a new painful cyst almost every other day and now also on my back as well.

My first question is... What dose of spironolactone are you on?

And also I'm guessing this is an initial breakout and I should try to stick it out longer? My face is definitely worse than it was before I started the Spironolactone. Really the oiliness was the biggest issue with only minor breakouts but now I'm getting the painful, cysts that leave marks. Any suggestions?? I also use Epiduo and have been for several years.

Thanks for your help!

Courtney

Hi Courtney,

I am taking 100mg Spironolactone too. It has taken about 4 months for my skin to clear. My skin was sooooo bad when I started taking Spiro, I have never been so spotty in my life so Spiro definitely makes skin a whole lot worse before it gets better. I was on the verge of giving up so many times but I wanted to stick it out and I'm soooo glad I did. You must be prepared for your skin to get significantly worse for a good while before it gets better but it will get there. For me the first thing I noticed was oil reduction. I noticed that within the first 2-3 weeks I think. Then the pores got smaller and the wrinkles on my head were less pronounced.

So overall very happy but you gotta be prepared for a few months of hell first!

MemberMember
(@cfox1027)

Posted : 01/13/2016 9:51 am

3 hours ago, luanndanielle said:
Hi Courtney,

I am taking 100mg Spironolactone too. It has taken about 4 months for my skin to clear. My skin was sooooo bad when I started taking Spiro, I have never been so spotty in my life so Spiro definitely makes skin a whole lot worse before it gets better. I was on the verge of giving up so many times but I wanted to stick it out and I'm soooo glad I did. You must be prepared for your skin to get significantly worse for a good while before it gets better but it will get there. For me the first thing I noticed was oil reduction. I noticed that within the first 2-3 weeks I think. Then the pores got smaller and the wrinkles on my head were less pronounced.

So overall very happy but you gotta be prepared for a few months of hell first!

Thank you so much for your quick response! It is nice to know that there will be light at the end of this tunnel hopefully.... are you also still taking Yasmin with the spironolactone? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 01/16/2016 12:10 pm

On 13/01/2016, 1435, cfox1027 said:
Thank you so much for your quick response! It is nice to know that there will be light at the end of this tunnel hopefully.... are you also still taking Yasmin with the spironolactone? Thanks!

Hey, no problem!

Yes I take Yasmin too. I started taking it about a month or so before the Spiro so I don't know if that prolonged the initial breakout. But keep going! Would be great to hear of your progress x

MemberMember
(@cfox1027)

Posted : 01/17/2016 2:05 pm

On January 16, 2016 at 1159 AM, luanndanielle said:
Hey, no problem!

Yes I take Yasmin too. I started taking it about a month or so before the Spiro so I don't know if that prolonged the initial breakout. But keep going! Would be great to hear of your progress x

I've been taking Yasmin for a couple of years already and I was on Yaz before that. My skin was so clear on Yaz for many years but I started getting breakouts in my mid twenties and freaked out. I had my hormones tested and they said I was low in estrogen so I switched to Yasmin bc it is just like Yaz but higher estrogen. Im thinking though that my skin was more clear and less oily on Yaz so have been wondering whether I should try Yaz again instead of Yasmin (I wonder if the higher level of estrogen in the Yasmin might just be too high for me, not sure if that would affect acne and oily skin though...) But I do believe my skin was clearer and less oily on Yaz... But I'm scared to switch bc I've heard of people breaking out pretty bad when switching.

I'm on about week 6 of spironolatone. Before spiro, I was only getting a couple pimples here and there but my issue was extremely oily skin, slight hair growth around my chin and jawline (just small blonde hairs), and hair loss. I went to an endocrinologist and had my hormone levels tested and my DHEA and total testosterone levels were really high- that is why he put me on spironolatone to try to get those levels down closer to normal. Since starting spiro, I haven't had a day of clear skin, like I would have before. It's been really frustrating bc my skin really wasn't that bad before starting and now it's gotten worse. Getting those painful, under the skin pimples pretty consistently for the last month which is so frustrating. I'm hoping this will get better over the next couple of months... If not, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Just had my bloodwork done again so I guess we will see if my levels have gone down at all being on spironolatone. I haven't really seen any difference in oil production and have seen an increase in acne for sure. I will keep y'all updated on my progress. So glad to know I'm not alone is this search for manageable, clear skin! I think one of the most frustrating, upsetting things is seeing other women my age- friends, coworkers, etc with clear, beautiful skin...

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 01/17/2016 2:28 pm

20 minutes ago, cfox1027 said:
I've been taking Yasmin for a couple of years already and I was on Yaz before that. My skin was so clear on Yaz for many years but I started getting breakouts in my mid twenties and freaked out. I had my hormones tested and they said I was low in estrogen so I switched to Yasmin bc it is just like Yaz but higher estrogen. Im thinking though that my skin was more clear and less oily on Yaz so have been wondering whether I should try Yaz again instead of Yasmin (I wonder if the higher level of estrogen in the Yasmin might just be too high for me, not sure if that would affect acne and oily skin though...) But I do believe my skin was clearer and less oily on Yaz... But I'm scared to switch bc I've heard of people breaking out pretty bad when switching.

I'm on about week 6 of spironolatone. Before spiro, I was only getting a couple pimples here and there but my issue was extremely oily skin, slight hair growth around my chin and jawline (just small blonde hairs), and hair loss. I went to an endocrinologist and had my hormone levels tested and my DHEA and total testosterone levels were really high- that is why he put me on spironolatone to try to get those levels down closer to normal. Since starting spiro, I haven't had a day of clear skin, like I would have before. It's been really frustrating bc my skin really wasn't that bad before starting and now it's gotten worse. Getting those painful, under the skin pimples pretty consistently for the last month which is so frustrating. I'm hoping this will get better over the next couple of months... If not, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Just had my bloodwork done again so I guess we will see if my levels have gone down at all being on spironolatone. I haven't really seen any difference in oil production and have seen an increase in acne for sure. I will keep y'all updated on my progress. So glad to know I'm not alone is this search for manageable, clear skin!

Definitely keep going with the Spiro if your testosterone levels are high as it will help for sure. I wanted to give up so bad but something kept telling me to give it a little longer and low and behold my skin started to clear. It WILL be a while, I think some people have said up to 8 months! Thankfully I didn't take that long to respond but it was a good 4/5 months like I mentioned before. Keep going!

MemberMember
(@grixon1989)

Posted : 01/18/2016 1:33 am

Hiya,

i was was wondering if anyone has had the side effect from spiro of having your period 2-3 weeks a month. It started off irregular but now I have my period almost everyday.

the dermatologist told me to reduce the dosage I have. I was on 4 pills a day, then 3 now only 2 a day.

im around the 4 month mark and almost ready to give up.

i am not currently on the pill but I'm thinking of going back on it.

ive tried all other medication including 2x accutane courses.

Im 27 and just want to have clear skin for once in my life.

Help please

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 01/18/2016 9:28 am

7 hours ago, Grixon1989 said:

Hiya,

i was was wondering if anyone has had the side effect from spiro of having your period 2-3 weeks a month. It started off irregular but now I have my period almost everyday.

the dermatologist told me to reduce the dosage I have. I was on 4 pills a day, then 3 now only 2 a day.

im around the 4 month mark and almost ready to give up.

i am not currently on the pill but I'm thinking of going back on it.

ive tried all other medication including 2x accutane courses.

Im 27 and just want to have clear skin for once in my life.

Help please

Hi there,

From what I've read, Spiro is notorious for causing menstrual irregularities. You shouldn't get pregnant while taking Spiro anyway so I would suggest going on the pill to help with your periods. I am on Yasmin and I haven't had any problems at all with my periods.

MemberMember
(@grixon1989)

Posted : 01/24/2016 1:21 am

Thank you for getting back to me!

I cannot believe I have pretty much had my period for a month now.

i have contacted my dermatologist and have requested to be on the pill as well and hopefully that can help with the periods and i can be on both at the same time.